Water vs oil-Doug Schoon explains

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
Please read this latest FB post of Doug's. It explains why and how oil is good for nails and water isn't!

He makes it all so clear. Water soak manicure???? Umm, make up your own mind!

https://www.facebook.com/doug.schoon?fref=ts

Thanks for sharing!

I haven't done a water soak in years .. literally!

I've just had my manicure training and was told to soak. I did question it but she didn't seem to know about all the controversy about whether to soak or not. If we're not soaking how do I get the cuticles soft to remove? Will cuticle remover be enough to do this on its own? Thanks I'm getting confused.

Is there a way to see this article for those of us (dinosaurs) who don't do Facebook? Sounds like a great read!

I've just had my manicure training and was told to soak. I did question it but she didn't seem to know about all the controversy about whether to soak or not. If we're not soaking how do I get the cuticles soft to remove? Will cuticle remover be enough to do this on its own? Thanks I'm getting confused.

Cuticle will soften with new and innovative products like CND Cuticle Away .. it practically dissolves the cuticle on the nail plate and removes it gently without outdated methods of scraping and pushing that can harm the surface of the nail plate.

The beauty industry really has to keep up with these things and stop teaching out-dated methods such as using chamois leather buffers and buffing paste, which no one ever uses again, and old fashioned cuticle knives when no one uses those either because there are much better implements now for doing the job.

Filing technique .. with modern files and buffers we no longer have to take ages filing from side to centre to avoid ripping up the nail ... we are not using coarse sand paper files any longer but new materials that will actually help 'seal' the edge of the nail plate when used back and forth!!

When teaching is in the dark ages, and the students know more than the teachers ... it is not a good thing and wastes everyone's time and money.

Doug Schoon

Three regions of the nail matrix each produces slightly different types of nail cells to create three distinct regions, as shown in the cross-section. These magnified images help to provide a better understanding of the nail plate. Nail cells are relatively tightly linked together to form row upon row of cells stacked in layers. A typical nail plate is about 100 nail cell layers thick. These individual layers are stacked upon each other and adhere together to create the plate, however the layers are most loosely bound near the center of the plate. That’s why this region of the nail plate looks more fibrous (fiber-like). In this region, these layers can bend quite easily without breaking. The nail plate normally contains about 15% water, much of which is distributed as tiny amounts of moisture concentrated between the layers.
This moisture lubricates the layers of nail cells allowing them to slide and stretch when the nail plate is bent. This explains why the nail plate becomes more flexible when it absorbs water; adding more moisture between the layers allows for additional sliding and greater flexibility without breaking.

This effect reaches a maximum as the nail plate becomes completely saturated when it increases to about a 30% water content. All this extra water between the layers pushes them apart and causes the nail plate to swell and change shape. The plate swells and changes shape each time the hands are soaked in water for more than a minute or two and reverts back to normal shape when the extra moisture is lost. This effect is much more noticeable on thin, weak nail plates. Repeatedly soaking the nail plate in water isn’t a good practice. Just a five minute soak in warm water is enough to change the nail plate’s shape and affect adhesion, especially for nail polish. After a water manicure, the nail plate will revert to its normal shape and thickness; leaving the nail polish coating to crack and/or peel. This is not true for hand washing- it does NOT affect adhesion and should be performed before every service begins.

Natural oils in the nails also help increase flexibility by seeping into the tiny spaces between nail cells. Water and some oils move through the nail plate by “diffusion”. Diffusion is a scientific law saying that substances flow from areas of high concentration into areas of lower concentration. Diffusion makes a drop of blue dye on a wet piece of paper “run” or “bleed” into new areas away from the area of high concentration. Hot liquid wax diffuses up a candle wick to be burned. Diffusion is the reason why we smell fragrances. The fragrance molecules diffuse from the skin where the concentration is high and follows air currents until ending up in the nose.

Oils follow different paths through the nail plate than water does. Oils diffuse mostly between cells, rather than though them; which is one reason why they move more slowly through the plate compared to water. Absorbed oils never come close to the concentration of water, but these oils still provide great benefits to the nail plates. Oils also increase lubrication between the nail cell layers without damaging the nail plate, as water can. A nail plate fully saturated with water will revert back to normal moisture levels overnight, as the water slowly evaporates from the plate. Oils won’t evaporate from the nail plate. Also, oils are slower to absorb into the nail plate, much slower than water, making it harder for them to escape from the nail plate. Even hand washing won’t remove oils from more than the top 2-3 surface layers of the nail cells. Repeated application of oil slowly increases concentrations within the nail plate over time. That’s one main reason why a high quality, absorbing nail oil is so beneficial to the nail plate. Want another reason? Frequent use of absorbing nail oils can make the nail plate more water resistant and can help slow down water absorption into the plate to prevent excessive moisture build-up. How can you tell if a particular nail oil will absorb into the nail plate? Try rubbing some of the nail oil on the back of your hand. If the nail oil won’t penetrate your skin, it won’t penetrate the nail plate. Mineral oil and many massage oils are great examples of oils that don’t penetrate the nail plate, while jojoba, olive and avocado oils do.

Cuticle will soften with new and innovative products like CND Cuticle Away .. it practically dissolves the cuticle on the nail plate and removes it gently without outdated methods of scraping and pushing that can harm the surface of the nail plate.

The beauty industry really has to keep up with these things and stop teaching out-dated methods such a s chamois leather buffers and buffing paste which no one ever uses again and old fashioned cuticle knives when no one uses those either because there are much better implements now for doing the job.

Filing technique .. with modern files and buffers we no longer have to take ages filing from side to centre to avoid ripping up the nail ... we are not using coarse sand paper files any longer but new materials that will actually help 'seal' the edge of the nail plate when used back and forth!!

When teaching is in the dark ages, and the students know more than the teachers ... it is not a good thing and wastes everyone's time and money.

Oh no! We got taught to push back and use the cuticle knife but making sure it was wet with either cuticle remover or water. We did get taught to file side to center. Didn't realise there was another way? I thought the course was ok to get my qualification then learn more from here and I have also bought your book to help me learn. I was considering swapping products to cnd once my certificate comes through and I can open an account with s2. Is there anywhere I can learn the new techniques without having to pay a lot again for another course?

Oh no! We got taught to push back and use the cuticle knife but making sure it was wet with either cuticle remover or water. We did get taught to file side to center. Didn't realise there was another way? I thought the course was ok to get my qualification then learn more from here and I have also bought your book to help me learn. I was considering swapping products to cnd once my certificate comes through and I can open an account with s2. Is there anywhere I can learn the new techniques without having to pay a lot again for another course?

Very easy to learn. Just watch the official CND videos on prep and manicuring on you tube ... the newer techniques are easier and quicker and better for the surface health of the nail plate. :hug:.

Very easy to learn. Just watch the official CND videos on prep and manicuring on you tube ... the newer techniques are easier and quicker and better for the surface health of the nail plate. :hug:.

Thank you!! Trying to be the best nail technician I can be on a limited budget! Really appreciate your help :)

The beauty industry really has to keep up with these things and stop teaching out-dated methods such as using chamois leather buffers and buffing paste, which no one ever uses again, and old fashioned cuticle knives when no one uses those either because there are much better implements now for doing the job.

Exactly! I genuinely can't remember the last time I did a water soak. I've just updated a textbook with all of this as it only had water and chamois buffers!

There are some clients who don't feel they've had a manicure without water. That's fine but you need to explain to them why it may not be a good idea!

Water is the most harmful to nails of all chemicals because we cannot avoid it in every day life. As professionals we should be learning about the sort of research Doug is doing and using it to improve our services. We can't avoid water but some good advise about protecting nails from it is essential now we know the damage it does!

Thanks for sharing, interesting read x

Gigi, do you have a link for any of these please. I've had a look but can only find ones that use a soak so I am assuming these aren't the official CND ones. Thanks. I too had been taught soak, side to centre filing and chamois buffers (eek!) so I am interested in re-educating myself! Any recommendations for replacing the soak for those ladies who love the experience, especially the smell.
Thanks x

Gigi, do you have a link for any of these please. I've had a look but can only find ones that use a soak so I am assuming these aren't the official CND ones. Thanks. I too had been taught soak, side to centre filing and chamois buffers (eek!) so I am interested in re-educating myself! Any recommendations for replacing the soak for those ladies who love the experience, especially the smell.
Thanks x

Just got another question to add to that too. Why is it you soak in a pedicure then and not a manicure?

Just got another question to add to that too. Why is it you soak in a pedicure then and not a manicure?

Isn't this for hard skin?x

I personally soak feet for freshness, makes both myself and client feel better not dealing with foot odours :)
I never let my clients soak longer than 3-5 mins, by the time I finish the nails the heels should be nicely dry for a perfect smooth filing. Besides, some clients soak water up too much and it makes it that much harder to tell the difference between true dead skin and live cells.

I personally soak feet for freshness, makes both myself and client feel better not dealing with foot odours :)
I never let my clients soak longer than 3-5 mins, by the time I finish the nails the heels should be nicely dry for a perfect smooth filing. Besides, some clients soak water up too much and it makes it that much harder to tell the difference between true dead skin and live cells.

Ok thanks for clearing that up for me I've still got loads to learn!

Feet aren't the same as hands. Polish stays on a lot longer as they don't have the stresses that hands do. But the facts still apply.

However, there are lots of reasons why a soak of feet is relevant (although, in my job I don't but that is a logistical issue)

Freshness (as already mentioned) is essential
Client satisfaction (how lovely is a foot soak!)
But, modern foot files like the Microplane work much better on dry skin. So after a quick wash or spray, get rid of the hard skin while still hard, then moisturise later
Everything that happens to fingernails in water happens to toe nails but won't cause as many problems with damage and polish
It will cause problems if applying a gel polish etc so soak after if needed
From a hygiene point of view, I'm happy with a spray, e.g. Mundo

Latest posts

Back