Waxing gone wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And that I guess is the extreme reasons for why I ALWAYS test wax on myself before EVERY client and why I never double dip (and why gloves are a good idea! Even when you don't wear gloves you should at least make sure you have clean hands and use antibacterial gel...)

I don't care who calls me scaremongering and over cautious... :)

Not my worst nightmare in the slightest.
I keep written records on every client. I use top notch products and I'm bloody clean.

That wasn't just a 3rd degree burnt, that was an infection...

No double dipping, that's what we do when using hot wax.
What about using strip wax? Everyone use one metal spatula...

Last edited:
As much as I feel sorry for that poor lady, I feel a little sorry for the salon. Considering that they weren't expecting the news reporters to walk in on them, their waxing station looked pretty clean from the quick glimpse we got. Also, I wonder how the client could see that they double dipped when the wax pot is behind the head of the bed.

Who knows if she left the salon and applied make up with an unwashed brush or old make up. Just saying………….

As much as I feel sorry for that poor lady, I feel a little sorry for the salon. Considering that they weren't expecting the news reporters to walk in on them, their waxing station looked pretty clean from the quick glimpse we got. Also, I wonder how the client could see that they double dipped when the wax pot is behind the head of the bed.

Who knows if she left the salon and applied make up with an unwashed brush or old make up. Just saying………….

I have to agree there. I do feel for her completely but theres two.sides to every story x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

With you on that one Kim :)

exactly! because at the end of the day that's a salon's reputation gone down the drain! However something is fishy about the story, how has she been coming there since `16 and no one knows her?

Even though my wax pots are behind my clients it would be obvious if I was double dipping - you can hear the spatulas being binned and a new one being removed from my large pot of spatulas :)
So I can believe she would know if they were double dipping or not :)
Having had a BAD infection right between my eyebrows I know how easy it is to get - mine came from a mossy bite of all things! - and no there is no guarantee that it came from the wax - but if they DO double dip then they are giving her every possible weapon to come after them - especially if in that state it's against the law (and it is in some US states).
I didn't like the full frontal attack either but I do think in the main they opened themselves up to something like this happening to them if they did fail to keep things clean and sterilised like they should have done... Especially in the US which is "claim central"...

On the other hand if she's making it up then wait for the libel claim... if there isn't one then it's as good as an admission of guilt...

Even though my wax pots are behind my clients it would be obvious if I was double dipping - you can hear the spatulas being binned and a new one being removed from my large pot of spatulas :)
So I can believe she would know if they were double dipping or not :)
Having had a BAD infection right between my eyebrows I know how easy it is to get - mine came from a mossy bite of all things! - and no there is no guarantee that it came from the wax - but if they DO double dip then they are giving her every possible weapon to come after them - especially if in that state it's against the law (and it is in some US states).
I didn't like the full frontal attack either but I do think in the main they opened themselves up to something like this happening to them if they did fail to keep things clean and sterilised like they should have done... Especially in the US which is "claim central"...

On the other hand if she's making it up then wait for the libel claim... if there isn't one then it's as good as an admission of guilt...
Well the salon might be across the pond from us here but I really do wish them all the luck in proving that they didn't double dip (if they didn't of course). The owner knew her stuff about not double dipping in her state and after all, we have to support each other don't we as there are enough people slating us and thinking that we're all thicko's. :Kissing:

I heard it as they changed spatulas between clients but she used the same on both eye brows? On the other hand they must have known about the impending law suit and I'm sure as a result they are very aware of the importance of not double dipping :)

From what I know of the US system then she must have had some reason to launch a law suit as it's not cheap once you get laywers involved - if it's a no win no fee then HE must have strongly believed she had a case too or he wouldn't waste his time on pursuing a case...

This isn't a matter of slating beauty therapists though - it's about educating both clients and therapists. If your therapist double dips - go elsewhere :) If the salon isn't clean etc then don't get your waxing done there and personally I prefer people to test their wax every treatment... it takes 2 seconds to test it on your arm, yes you should know from the consistency but a double check by putting a small strip on your arm is a good safe guard to have in my view...

I heard it as they changed spatulas between clients but she used the same on both eye brows? On the other hand they must have known about the impending law suit and I'm sure as a result they are very aware of the importance of not double dipping :)

From what I know of the US system then she must have had some reason to launch a law suit as it's not cheap once you get laywers involved - if it's a no win no fee then HE must have strongly believed she had a case too or he wouldn't waste his time on pursuing a case...

This isn't a matter of slating beauty therapists though - it's about educating both clients and therapists. If your therapist double dips - go elsewhere :) If the salon isn't clean etc then don't get your waxing done there and personally I prefer people to test their wax every treatment... it takes 2 seconds to test it on your arm, yes you should know from the consistency but a double check by putting a small strip on your arm is a good safe guard to have in my view...
I hear ya Tinxy bit with respect, this a professional forum, so you're preaching to the converted on here. We are all trained and qualified professionals, so we all know what to do. This isn't about what we should or would do……….we already know! This thread is about that particular incident.

Anyway, off to have a well earned rest now. xox

I'm not a waxing geek but If this lady knows how important it is not to double dip and 'apparently' saw the therapist do it, then why did she let her continue? Seems dodgy to me.
Xx

What a horrible situation for everybody!

I do feel sorry for the poor girl. It is possible that the salon did burn her and then she picked up the infection. I was a bit concerned when she said that every time she gets them done, when they put the wax on her skin goes a bit numb...that doesn't sound right.

If it was the salon's fault, it is only right that they don't get the chance to do it to someone else, but if it wasn't, my goodness their reputation must be in absolute tatters, i wouldn't be surprised if it ruined them.

A good reminder to everyone that you need to be so careful and clean when working in this industry xx

Ok...don't shoot me but I'm panicking a bit now. Is this relating to hot wax?
As I'm trained in warm waxing and was taught to use one spatula per client (except where blood spots occur, then we use a new one each time)

Please can someone set me straight as I would hate to put any client at risk !! Xx

As I'm trained in warm waxing and was taught to use one spatula per client (except where blood spots occur, then we use a new one each time)

Please can someone set me straight as I would hate to put any client at risk !! Xx

In th UK HABIA does not require you to use a new spatula each time you dip, just a new one for each client. Exception is when you are going over an area again as you could pick up blood etc.

You're ok Hun.

I use single use spats for hot wax which I use on bikini, underarms, generally coarser hair where you're more likely to get bloody spotting for that reason and metal spats with warm wax where I redip. I just clean and sanitise those spats between clients.

REALLY do not think the people presenting the programme should have been allowed to enter the salon in such a manner. Its pretty disgraceful: What if that infection came from something the girl had done? Not following homecare, applying make up, having dirty hands herself and touching them?

Until it is proved that the salon was to blame I don't think their name should be allowed to be used in the media.

I hope the girl recovers but I also hope the salon (if innocent) doesnt lose too many clients!

WRONG!

Thanks for the replies! :)
Sorry to ask a silly question but I'd much rather do that than put someone's health at risk.
Love this forum!! Xx

If you dont know the answer I dont think its ever a silly question :)

Latest posts

Back