Waxing Help? Popliteal Space!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacky

Reaction score
Hiya Guys....hopefully one of you waxing geeks will help on this one....
I was taught (OK....some years ago now...I know! :o ) that when waxing legs....we should always avoid the popliteal space....BUT....what do you do with a client that is hairiest in that space!!!! :eek: :Scared:
I have to admit...I have followed my education...TO THE LETTER...but I have had to....simply HAD TO.....deviate today! I just waxed...like.... everso gently in that area!!! :irked:
What do you do?....
Ta muchly in advance!

Hmm, good question Jacky. Personally iv never had to do it, but i think if you do it with the lightest of pressure i'm sure it would be fine. When iv got a minute il take a look back through my text book to have another look as to why it shouldn't be done & what to do if you need to. It was 11 years since i did my training. EEEK :eek: :eek: :Scared:

HTH. xx

Jacky said:
I was taught (OK....some years ago now...I know! :o ) that when waxing legs....we should always avoid the popliteal space....BUT....what do you do with a client that is hairiest in that space!!!! :eek: :Scared:

hi

sorry i have no idea about waxing at all but i am intrigued, what is the 'popliteal space'? sorry just being nosey!

Hi Nik

here is a definition

"popliteal space n : a lozenge-shaped space at the back of the knee joint - called also popliteal fossa ".

I was nosey too so I looked it up LOL.

Hiya,
We were told to avoid this area too as you have a lymph node at the back of your knee called the popliteal, i cant off the top of my head say exactly why, all i remember is that you avoid the area................

Amanda

thanks fiona
naturalnails said:
Hi Nik

here is a definition

"popliteal space n : a lozenge-shaped space at the back of the knee joint - called also popliteal fossa ".

naturalnails said:
Hi Nik

here is a definition

Ta Fiona....Ive only just looked at replies to this....and sorry I didnt get back to answer that one!
Thanks for the replies guys....I was always under the impression that the lymph issue coupled with the popliteal artery running close by, deemed the popliteal space area unsuitable for treatment. Although on the vast amount of waxings I undertake...the majority dont need treatment as hair is sparse there or even non existent. My client yesterday....really did have hair growth there, A LOT!...Had I have left it I wouldnt have been at all happy with the result, neither would she I guess....so I just careful and gently did it in small(well its a small space anyhow!!) sections at at a time to ensure that I didnt aggravate too much!

Ummmmm... forgive my slight deviation for the subject of waxing here..... but.....

.....I remember an episode of Ally McBeal about 'kneegasms' - would this be the same place (in the knee-pit, the sensitive bit at the back of the knee joint) ???

Lulu :o :o ;)

its easy 2 bruise in the area so as long as ur carefull it should b fine

I usually wax around that area, and i've had no problems. When I was training they were talking about whether it went in or not. Sometimes back of the knee is not always straight ot level, it tends to dip like a scooped out effect. This is usually on older clients, and thats when I was told to avoid because you can't stretch the skin or get in there properly. I've only ever seen this type of knee once and that was on a lecturer at a college I trained at.

Dawn

GOSH!!! nearly finished my level 2 and there had never been any mention of it!!!! worrying.....

Same here....Was never told about it..!!

RAQUEL said:
GOSH!!! nearly finished my level 2 and there had never been any mention of it!!!! worrying.....

I am probably tempting fate here but.... I have always sugared over that area with absolutely no problems whatsoever! No bruising, soreness or tenderness. I know you shouldn't apply too much pressure to the area, so I support the skin from the top of the calf muscle.

Gosh, now i'm worried too. I qualified three years o and was never told about this either!

Latest posts

Back