Weak, peeling nails...manicure/gel??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emches

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm due to get my nails done on Saturday and was opting for a simple manicure but just this week my nails have all started to flake and peel so I have had file them down to stop them snagging.

Am I best keeping my nails much shorter this time with a simple colour on (I was opting for french but don't know if nails are too short now)or cancelling my appointment and letting them breathe? I don't really want to cancel it though if poss as I am going with a friend as a birthday treat!

The other query was that I have a wedding in a few weeks and would love nice nails for it, if mine are still weak and peeling, would gel enhancements be good to consider? Again, I don't want to damage the nails further but if they might help it would be fab to have beautiful nails on the day!

Thanks all, looking forward to hearing all your little gems of knowledge on this!

Lots of love xx

Do you have a jessica tech near you. I am an ex nail biter and had loads of nail extensions on. About two months ago, i took on jessica which is a wonderfull natural nail care system. My nails have grown so much, infact i would say they are the longest they have ever been. I actually used the post acrylic first and moved on to fusion which is for peeling nails. My aim over the next six to eight weeks is to be on reward. I love the look of nail extensions but have always wanted my own nice nails and thanks to jessica i am now getting there. Hope that is of some help hun
love jenny:hug:

Hi emches,
I think that everyone is different, but I agree you should have the jessica treatment and closer to the wedding I would have the nail enhancements because your nails should have healed by then

lol...

I know I cannot live without l&p on. but to each its own... if you think they need time, cancel, if you want beautiful nails, go for an appt to a good salon...

I think a gel overlay will help loads....it will protect them while they grow and look nice at the same time. As long as you go to a good nail tech and you look after them there is no reason why they should damage your nails any more than they all ready are.

Am I best keeping my nails much shorter this time with a simple colour on (I was opting for french but don't know if nails are too short now)or cancelling my appointment and letting them breathe? I don't really want to cancel it though if poss as I am going with a friend as a birthday treat!

would gel enhancements be good to consider? Again, I don't want to damage the nails further but if they might help it would be fab to have beautiful nails on the day!

Hi,

Firstly, nails do not breath ! It's an old wives tale. You can have nail varnish or nail enhancements on forever and your natural nails will be perfectly fine ! They won't die of oxygen starvation and no resusitation will be needed :lol:

Secondly, if you have your nail enhancements or natural nail overlays done at a REPUTABLE salon with a trained and qualified tech, you should not have any problems with damaging your nails, whether it be Gel or L&P.

Remember, it's not the product that damages your nails, but an inexperienced or unqualified tech that does.

You REALLY want to avoid Non Standard Salons (salons that normally use MMA, have poor hygiene standards and use electric nail files incorrectly) as they most certainly WILL RUIN your nails.

Marlise

Latest posts

Back