Web pics on PC not showing on laptop??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

essentia

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I do my own website but am stumped as to why a picture is showing 'live' on my main PC but not on my laptop when I view my website. They both have the same internet browser and are the same version. Does any clued up geek know why this is happening? :eek:

Many thanks
essentia

whats the URL of the site?

Do you mean they're showing as "live" in whatever package you're using to design the site? Or on your browser.

Hi It is essentiabeauty.co.uk

The pic is on the news page and shows on my browser on my PC but is just a blank space on my laptop...

a Green apple?

If so then its working fine and its your laptop's brower that maybe has a problem.

Either that or you can just clean your cache (cookies)

I'm getting a broken image on your home page too where the Clean & Easy logo should be (on the right hand side towards the bottom).

But with regards to the image on your news page, I have noticed that it is displaying OK in Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox, but not in Internet Explorer 7.

So it's likely to be a CSS compatibility issue with IE7 if anything. Strangely, I am getting "alt" text displayed in a tool tip when I hover over where the image should be on IE7 though...

Ahh right.. I was viewing with IE8...and there looks to be no problems.

Compatability issues then....

How terribly interesting for everyone else here though! lol

sorry!

Actually, the Clean & Easy image is displaying OK now; think that must have been a temporary glitch with IE. But the image is still not displaying on the news page in IE7. Have had a quick look at the CSS but it's nothing obvious.

Perhaps you could play around with trying to set the z-index for the div with the image to something positive, e.g. 20 - to see if that makes any difference with IE?

Impressive website from a technical perspective by the way - it is nice to see a site that passes the W3C validator!

Ahh right.. I was viewing with IE8...and there looks to be no problems.

Compatability issues then....

How terribly interesting for everyone else here though! lol

sorry!

It's got to be an IE7 bug!

Bizarrely enough, it works in IE6 on Microsoft Virtual PC on here - but not on IE7!

So it looks like it's a bug specific to IE7, but not IE6 or IE8...

Weird or what!

Thanks for both your input guys! I have run the css and html through W3C and is OK. I have played about with the padding. I have deleted cookies. Both my computers run IE7. I am currently running security check on laptop - is there any other last ditch attempt I can do?:cry:

Thanks for both your input guys! I have run the css and html through W3C and is OK. I have played about with the padding. I have deleted cookies. Both my computers run IE7. I am currently running security check on laptop - is there any other last ditch attempt I can do?:cry:

Well, it doesn't work for me on IE7 here - are you saying that it worked on one computer with IE7 but not the other?

Well, it doesn't work for me on IE7 here - are you saying that it worked on one computer with IE7 but not the other?

Genius Ruth! I have just checked my main PC and it has IE8 - my darling hubbie must of updated it!! I really thought I was going la la..........:hug:

Genius Ruth! I have just checked my main PC and it has IE8 - my darling hubbie must of updated it!! I really thought I was going la la..........:hug:

Aha, sadly it's not fixing the issue though :(

How weird isn't it!

Maybe there is another tweak you could apply, like adding "position: relative;" to the CSS style for the div with the image in it or something like that? Maybe give that a go? Have you played with the z-indexes yet? Not sure why adding "position: relative;" would work - but it's fixed some weird issues in IE7 for me in the past...

Ruth - I am not sure what code I would have to put in for z index. I know it has something to so with the stack order of the element. I have used floats and not positions in the code. Can you give us any tips?:hug:

Ruth - I am not sure what code I would have to put in for z index. I know it has something to so with the stack order of the element. I have used floats and not positions in the code. Can you give us any tips?:hug:

You would need to add something like:

z-index: 20;

to the CSS for the div element that the floated image is in.

Then I'd also recommend adding:

position: relative;

to the CSS for that div as well just in case it helps...

You would need to add something like:

z-index: 20;

to the CSS for the div element that the floated image is in.

Then I'd also recommend adding:

position: relative;

to the CSS for that div as well just in case it helps...

Thanks Ruth - this seems to have done the trick. I paid a few quid for a IE7 standalone version (does not work very well) but the pic came up. I also checked Opera and Mozilla FF.

Thanks for the tip.:hug:

Thanks Ruth - this seems to have done the trick. I paid a few quid for a IE7 standalone version (does not work very well) but the pic came up. I also checked Opera and Mozilla FF.

Thanks for the tip.:hug:

Yes - the pic is displaying fine in IE7 for me now. Thanks for the heads up too - looks like I'm getting a more intuitive understanding of the evils of IE7 then [and how to fix them] by the look of it :)

You didn't need to go out and buy an IE7 standalone version though - I think you can download Microsoft Virtual PC with IE7 from the Microsoft website for free - as that is what I use for IE6 (which is a really evil little excuse for a browser, I can tell you - many times worse than IE7 when it comes to CSS compatibility)...

Latest posts

Back