Website help thread

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is your website SEO updated on a regular basis, as well as content?

Hi geeks,

I'm in the process of setting up my website, I carryout beauty treatments, makeup artistry & I'm an authorised agent for Dermalogica.

I've recently spoken to a web designer and asked him abt search engine optimization (not too sure what this is but i believe it v important)to b included& he said he doesn't normally do it.

In order to hve a higher ranking in Google search what do I hve to do. Would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Julie

Hi geeks,

I'm in the process of setting up my website, I carryout beauty treatments, makeup artistry & I'm an authorised agent for Dermalogica.

I've recently spoken to a web designer and asked him abt search engine optimization (not too sure what this is but i believe it v important)to b included& he said he doesn't normally do it.

In order to hve a higher ranking in Google search what do I hve to do. Would really appreciate it.

Thank you.
Julie

Hi Julie,

Asking someone who doesn't know about SEO to do it is like asking me to cut your hair. If his making your website he should be doing on page SEO for free just like we do however if it's not done properly it's a waste of time. Also it's only half the battle. A real SEO company you can look at spending several hundreds per month and be a few months until you see results. So this comes down to your budget and patience.

Alternatively we do offer a SEM service which if you wanted to look on our facebook most recent posts it may be worthwhile for you. I won't go into detail on here as don't want to block up the thread - www.facebook.com/bannerpenguin.london

Ok I typed in my web address and that's ^^ what came up?

Ok, I have stopped google Adwords to see if I rank in google without it. If I type in reflexology (my town) I am ranked high but if I type in massage or facials I'm not ranked at all...... I do all 3 so not sure why????

Ok, I have stopped google Adwords to see if I rank in google without it. If I type in reflexology (my town) I am ranked high but if I type in massage or facials I'm not ranked at all...... I do all 3 so not sure why????

It's called SEO and it's hard work, costs money and it takes time too. It doesn't appear instantly like adwords.

I know it's not easy just wondering why one word will show straight away but others won't.....

Also wondering if my website is good enough?

Thanks for replying x

I know it's not easy just wondering why one word will show straight away but others won't.....

Also wondering if my website is good enough?

Thanks for replying x

That's way it goes.
For example;
you could be number for 3 for 'nails in *your area*' but number 100 for 'massage in *your area*'.

There are many reasons. Competition on the search term, amount of searches etc.

I think you could do lots of improvements to your site in all honesty. Best way to gauge it is look at your competition. Can you honestly say yours is as good? Also try to forget all the man hours you have put in (I know it's hard) and look at it from a critical eye. Does it look good? Is it too cluttered? Can you find the info you need quickly? Does it draw you in, making you want to book?

Ok I'm all for constructive criticism.... Give to me straight???

What's wrong with it, promise I won't fall to pieces :Scared:

Ok I'm all for constructive criticism.... Give to me straight???

What's wrong with it, promise I won't fall to pieces :Scared:

It's not that bad don't get me wrong!
drop me an email and maybe I can help you with a few bits.
My direct email is [email protected].

Will do, thanks :)

Sorry for the slightly tech post, but I have built my own sites up till now.
It is about time I updated my original acupuncture site to keep up with all the social stuff that seems to be essential now days.

It's at Swindon Acupuncture treatment | Acuhome.co.uk.

I've used a template (responsive HTML js) in Dreamweaver to build my more recent site Acupuncture and beauty treatments in Swindon | Hazel's Holistics but even that seems to be missing essential social bits.

Do I need to just embrace WordPress? I've avoided having to learn another system up to now. Are there any good step by step guides / forums to help me?

It is about time I updated my original acupuncture site to keep up with all the social stuff that seems to be essential now days.

I've used a template (responsive HTML js) in Dreamweaver to build my more recent site Acupuncture and beauty treatments in Swindon | Hazel's Holistics but even that seems to be missing essential social bits.

Do I need to just embrace WordPress? I've avoided having to learn another system up to now. Are there any good step by step guides / forums to help me?

Hiya,

I know I am doing your printing but don't know if you know we do websites too. Here is my take on it;
Dreamweaver is very good for HTML and your knowledge in that seems pretty good. I would suggest furthering your knowledge if you wanted to. Ideally into HTML5, CSS and jQuery.

Wordpress is a good starting point but is a fair learning curve to make it custom. Further on from that joomla or Drupal is capable of everything and anything with the right knowledge. It really comes down to how much time you want to spend learning and trial and error etc.

If you have any questions or want a more in depth chat feel free to email me :)

Pay a marketing company for SEO and that will solve your problems

Can anyone give me any idea why after years my website would suddenly stop being found by Google? It used to always be top or there abouts but I havent checked it for a while, probably over a month, and now I have just tried typing in 'spray tan basildon' and apart from being listed on hot frog etc it is not being found? :irked: I can still find it if I type in the actual address so it is still live..

the address is www.about-tan.co.uk

Any ideas? you need to speak to me in layman's terms because I dont have a clue about this sort of thing! lol

Thanks guys xx

Pay a marketing company for SEO and that will solve your problems

More to it sometimes. The website doesn't work for one lol. Comes up with server Error.

If you ever get penalised by google through something done by another SEO company you can pretty much bet your life a seo company will still take you on and bill you monthly however won't ever get anywhere.

Our .com domain got smashed by an old SEO company and now we will NEVER rank it again. Normally you have to buy a new domain and start again. Obviously this is an unknown if the domain is a problem unless you know what you're looking for :)

Actually there's even more than that. Those who used tricks and rank fast methods are the one's in the most trouble. Google's ability to sell ads relies on its customers coming back to Google and searching for their needs. So they have to do the best they can do help you find what you're searching for. Unnatural link building, cramming of irrelevant content with key phrases and etc are just a few of the reasons your website could have dropped in rankings. There's also user experience which Google takes in to consideration as well.

If your domain gets blacklisted by Google, there are ways of bringing it back to life. It's not an easy process, but it's possible.

Actually there's even more than that. Those who used tricks and rank fast methods are the one's in the most trouble. Google's ability to sell ads relies on its customers coming back to Google and searching for their needs. So they have to do the best they can do help you find what you're searching for. Unnatural link building, cramming of irrelevant content with key phrases and etc are just a few of the reasons your website could have dropped in rankings. There's also user experience which Google takes in to consideration as well.

If your domain gets blacklisted by Google, there are ways of bringing it back to life. It's not an easy process, but it's possible.

I only skimmed over the issue but what you say is very true. I haven't known anyone to recover a domain successfully to be honest... I'm sure it's possible. But the amount of money and time make it normally more efficient to work with a new domain.

Add your website to google webmaster tools. You will need a google account and access to the website's files. Webmaster tools will give you an indication of whether there are problems with the indexing of your website. It may be a robots.txt problem or they may have blacklisted your site or it could be a number of other things. I work at a school (in IT) and their site was blacklisted a few years ago because it had a section about the history department. Due to the nazi content Google classed it as hatred so blacklisted. A reconsideration request later and it was back up. If you require any further advice contact me through my website IP1IT | Ipswich Technical Support Services

There are plenty of Wordpress templates that you can use and then edit them to suit your needs. Having a content management system makes it so much easier to make changes. Wordpress has an app available too so you can even add posts and edit pages from your phone. If you require any further advice, contact me through my website IP1IT | Ipswich Technical Support Services

Latest posts

Back