Wet nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhubarb78

Reaction score
Hello. I know my nails will be tacky after curing / between coats and will only be smooth at the end after wiping with alcohol.

But between coats should the nail be wet and the colour come off on my finger etc if touched? I am sure it should NOT. Have changed bulbs but the 2nd colour coat is making tracks in the 1st and it's wet to the touch even after a 2min cure.

Think my lamp is faulty :( would also explain why I am only getting about 8 days out of a polish where I was getting 14. Thanks!

Hello. Are you using led or uv lamp? And what product are you trying to cute? Gel or gel polish.

Beauty at your finger tips!

Like above said what brand of gel polish are you using and what lamp is it? There can be a few reasons why this might happen but really need to know what you are using first :)

Thanks. It is Blue Sky gel. Please don't tell me about the rubbish quality of the product, I do know it's not Shellac and the bad press about Chinese imports...

I have been using it successfully for months and had some long lasting gel nails. I also have a cheap Proxima lamp from Amazon, which was a present. The last 2 or 3 times I have had chipping and wear from the edge within a few days and it hasn't lasted beyond 8 or 9 days max. I have been wearing nail hardener and taking a break in between.

But today is the first time I realised that the polish was still wet after a 2min cure, as when I put the next coat on, it was streaking what I had already done. I put my finger on and yes, the colour was coming off!

I know it is meant to be tacky until you wipe with alcohol, which it always was before. I have changed the bulbs and tried one nail again, with the same result.

I have been googling "best" UV lamps all day, without success. I know Harmony is meant to be good, but the public don't seem to be able to buy them. Rio seems to be not great, although it's £80-100.

I don't want to do extensions, just gel on my natural nail. Recommends for a good lamp, available in the UK, would be great. Thanks!

If your lamp and products have worked successfully for a while it could be that your lamp needs new bulbs xx

Proxima is uv isn't it? If it's an LED lamp it might just be a bad lamp but uv bulbs only last so long xx

no, as per my post, I changed the bulbs and tried one nail only...think it has to be the lamp has become faulty :(

Looking to replace with a good quality one, but I guess I will be told to replace the gels with quality too, to get a good result...! I did have fab results from it previously though

Tia is a site for professional nail technicians ur but even qualified. Go phone blue sky and ask for their help.
It pisses me off honestly. Took is years of trainning to have someone buy **** off Amazon and think u can join a professional website and get free advise how to fix a non Professional product while u mix lamps and products. There is a reason you don't mix products and a reason you buy same lamp from same company you buy your gel from. Also FYI blue sky is NOT a gel it's gel polish. yes I am expecting a snide or a lot of rude comments after this post.

Totally agree with NailPod! Give BlueSky a call and get advice from them.
We can't be expected to help non professionals. In my eyes every non nail tech I help with this sort of stuff I am taking potential business away from a qualified nail tech!
I'm not being nasty you should really contact the company instead of us, or do some training and use the professional products :) xx

I am sorry for bothering you and won't post here again! manners cost nothing

Totally agree with NailPod! Give BlueSky a call and get advice from them.
We can't be expected to help non professionals. In my eyes every non nail tech I help with this sort of stuff I am taking potential business away from a qualified nail tech!
I'm not being nasty you should really contact the company instead of us, or do some training and use the professional products :) xx

fair enough Sian, I didn't actually realise the forum is for professionals, I was just looking for advice. Will find one for novices x

I have moved this to Consumer Queries as the OP is not a professional.
She was right on one thing though...manners cost nothing.
Politely pointing out that we don't give advice to non pros about pro products, or cheap knock off products and even pointing out the benefits of getting some training would have been more in keeping with the ethos of the site.
Not everyone who stumbles upon this site is completely aware that it is a site for salon professionals, having a rant at them is hardly a good advertisement for our professionalism.

Please bear in mind this site rule...

Reply to others how you would like them to reply to you
This is possibly THE most important of all commandments here. We have a low tolerance for members who show disrespect to others (even if the disrespect is somehow warranted). Rude and thoughtless posts are the fastest way to make you look like a right ass in front of the world. Its also a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of a ban. If you can't say it nicely, go Facebook it.

fair enough Sian, I didn't actually realise the forum is for professionals, I was just looking for advice. Will find one for novices x

That's quite alright I know this site can be confusing, in future post in the Customer Queries part of the site you will find you benefit much more from posting in there xxx

Thanks ladies and apologies for the error.

I have moved this to Consumer Queries as the OP is not a professional.
She was right on one thing though...manners cost nothing.
Politely pointing out that we don't give advice to non pros about pro products, or cheap knock off products and even pointing out the benefits of getting some training would have been more in keeping with the ethos of the site.
Not everyone who stumbles upon this site is completely aware that it is a site for salon professionals, having a rant at them is hardly a good advertisement for our professionalism.

Please bear in mind this site rule...

Reply to others how you would like them to reply to you
This is possibly THE most important of all commandments here. We have a low tolerance for members who show disrespect to others (even if the disrespect is somehow warranted). Rude and thoughtless posts are the fastest way to make you look like a right ass in front of the world. Its also a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of a ban. If you can't say it nicely, go Facebook it.

Terribly sorry to all who have been hurt by my post. I don't have Facebook and I don't rant. In all my helpful posts I give advise and honest help to load of new therapists and technicians. Which took years of study and experience.
And having a go at my post is just as bad.

Dear rhubarb78 - I am not a nail tech like others on this site; I do work in the industry, but as a combined pro/DIY let me just speak on behalf of the professionals on the site. I know you felt that they were less than polite to you, but I think they feel you came at them in a very rude manner. I think it was probably unintended on both sides, but I think it is important that you understand your part in it. Coming onto a professional site to ask questions about how to circumvent them seems pretty rude. Also, to promote the use of counterfeit product, a generic (cheap) lamp and dangerous technique is going to be offensive to people who have spent time, energy and money learning their trade. I also post on a DIY site (The Purse Forum), and I must confess that you might well have gotten the very same reaction from them! Even we take these issues very seriously. I was very concerned when I read your previous messages and this thread. What you are doing is dangerous - you've already seen one allergic-type reaction and it is very likely that your lamp is under-curing, exposing you and yours to uncured gel.This is a great hobby, but it does have a learning curve. I hope that you will take their advice seriously and really study up on this.

Last edited:
I was very concerned when I read your previous messages and this thread. What you are doing is dangerous - you've already seen one allergic-type reaction. I hope that you will take their advice seriously and really study up on this.
I've just read through the allergic reaction posts and it does seem that you don't really want to listen to some of the advice your given hun.
There are reasons us pro's charge a certain amount for "doing gel nails" we are trained in application and all of the contra indications. We pay a lot of money for this.
To answer your question if the colour is coming off it isn't cured correctly.
Your lamp is not a pro lamp therefore could be aways under curing. Or your sun standard products may not cure completely.
You've already seen the reactions this can cause on your mum.
Best advice.....protect your health and see a pro x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Terribly sorry to all who have been hurt by my post. I don't have Facebook and I don't rant. In all my helpful posts I give advise and honest help to load of new therapists and technicians. Which took years of study and experience.
And having a go at my post is just as bad.

I actually agree with what you said, and I definitely feel the same frustration you feel, but it is better to try and win someone round to our way of thinking I.e. training and knowledge. Although it does seem in this case that will not happen.

Dear rhubarb78 - I am not a nail tech like others on this site; I do work in the industry, but as a combined pro/DIY let me just speak on behalf of the professionals on the site. I know you felt that they were less than polite to you, but I think they feel you came at them in a very rude manner. I think it was probably unintended on both sides, but I think it is important that you understand your part in it. Coming onto a professional site to ask questions about how to circumvent them seems pretty rude. Also, to promote the use of counterfeit product, a generic (cheap) lamp and dangerous technique is going to be offensive to people who have spent time, energy and money learning their trade. I also post on a DIY site (The Purse Forum), and I must confess that you might well have gotten the very same reaction from them! Even we take these issues very seriously. I was very concerned when I read your previous messages and this thread. What you are doing is dangerous - you've already seen one allergic-type reaction and it is very likely that your lamp is under-curing, exposing you and yours to uncured gel.This is a great hobby, but it does have a learning curve. I hope that you will take their advice seriously and really study up on this.

I've just read through the allergic reaction posts and it does seem that you don't really want to listen to some of the advice your given hun.
There are reasons us pro's charge a certain amount for "doing gel nails" we are trained in application and all of the contra indications. We pay a lot of money for this.
To answer your question if the colour is coming off it isn't cured correctly.
Your lamp is not a pro lamp therefore could be aways under curing. Or your sun standard products may not cure completely.
You've already seen the reactions this can cause on your mum.
Best advice.....protect your health and see a pro p

Thanks geeks, especially for reminding me of the previous thread which I had even participated in!

Rhubarb78 you do not seem to listen to any advice you are given here, so it is no wonder that some of our members give you short shrift.
Gel polish is a professional product and we have all trained in its use, that is why we know about allergic reactions and undercuring.
I hope your mother is no longer suffering from her reaction to the products she used, but this new thread of yours shows that you have carried on regardless. You say you have been using Bluesky successfully for months, but how can that be when your mother was in pain and suffering from a reaction to it?

The only advice this site and its members can give you is to research decent products and get some training.
If you are not prepared to take that advice, which is given with the best intentions, then this is not the site or you and maybe you shouldn't post here again, as per your earlier post.

Thanks Issidol , I should perhaps have mentioned that I checked rhubarb bio and previous threads before sending my reply. And you are correct it was or did or out a snappy reply impression. Also having had a terrible day didn't help. X

Latest posts

Back