What am I doing wrong-foil on nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swilks12

Reaction score
Hello, i have done nails for a while and use GELeration gel polish. Recently i have attempted a few sets wanting to add foil onto the design, yet no matter what i do i cant get it to work. Ive tried pressing it on to the sticky layer with the colour side of the foil (what ive done in the past) facing on to the nail and nothing happens, ive also tried using it on the dull underside of the foil thinking it would then show the colour once on the nail and nothing happened, surely i dont have to cut out a piece of foil to the nail shape and stick on do i? And then i wouldnt get the 'crackled' effect you usually get. Please help me im going bananas over it!! 😳

Hi there! I'm afraid I done have a definitive answer but I do know that some polishes are less cooperative than others when it comes to foil on the inhibition layer.
Have you tried using a foil adhesive?

Also just to say that you are right to apply the foil pattern/colour side UP :)

HTH a little :) x

As stated above try a foil adhesive. I use shellac and have found some colours to have more of a tacky inhibition layer than others. You need to use the foil as soon as the hand has come out of the lamp for it to be most effective and stick it onto the inhibition layer iygwim.
I use foil adhesive on all colours to be honest and it works a treat. Remember to top coat it twice making sure you seal the edges. hth:)

Last edited:
As stated above try a foil adhesive. I use shellac and have found some colours to have more of a tacky inhibition layer than others. You need to use the foil as soon as the hand as come out of the lamp for it to be most effective and stick it onto the inhibition layer iygwim.
I use foil adhesive on all colours to be honest and it works a treat. Remember to top coat it twice making sure you seal the edges. hth:)

I agree certain colours are not good. Purple Purple almost has no sticky layer. No good for foils :(
Vicki x

I've also found for the crackly effect you're after it's best to pat the foil on quickly and lift straight off, for some reason if you take too much time it doesn't stick as well. You can then dab it over again anywhere it hasn't stuck for better coverage. Hth x

I'm having the same problem but with glitters and additives. When my nails come out of the lamp I literally have no sticky layer ???? Could it be the lamp type, I've an old calgel uv lamp ?? :(

Hi swilks12, I've had the same problem too so I just use foil adhesive, works a treat!

I have a tutorial on YouTube if you are interested.

http://youtu.be/vml2GZ9gjKA

Hope this helps

I tried it with Gellux. And it just slid about, so when I got shellac tried it and its amazing! Just seems that some inhibition layers are not as sticky as shellac! My first real play..

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395323731.674813.jpg

I add adhesive where I want my foil and it works no problem xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was taught to do your base coat like normal, then first coat of gel polish for 2 mins, then second coat for 1min 30seconds. This leaves it a little more tacky than usual. Then place it back in for 30 seconds and then your gel top coat for 2 mins and this has always worked perfectly for me :) hope this help xo

I was taught to do your base coat like normal, then first coat of gel polish for 2 mins, then second coat for 1min 30seconds. This leaves it a little more tacky than usual. Then place it back in for 30 seconds and then your gel top coat for 2 mins and this has always worked perfectly for me :) hope this help xo

Whoops, I meant after the min 30 place the foil on the nail and press thoroughly...then place back in for 30 seconds. Sorry about that! My brain is going faster than my fingers haha

Hello, i have done nails for a while and use GELeration gel polish. Recently i have attempted a few sets wanting to add foil onto the design, yet no matter what i do i cant get it to work. Ive tried pressing it on to the sticky layer with the colour side of the foil (what ive done in the past) facing on to the nail and nothing happens, ive also tried using it on the dull underside of the foil thinking it would then show the colour once on the nail and nothing happened, surely i dont have to cut out a piece of foil to the nail shape and stick on do i? And then i wouldnt get the 'crackled' effect you usually get. Please help me im going bananas over it!! 😳

Hi, I always put the foil on (colour side up) as soon the hand is out the lamp!!

So I paint one hand with the second coat of polish (I still do 2 coats for strength) put in the lamp.. Don't paint the other hand.. Take it out of the lamp and foil straight away. Then rest her hand on the lamp whilst I paint the second hand - out the lamp foil straight away.

I also do this with glitter - I have a lot of light in my shop and every second the hand is out the lamp the nails get less and less sticky.

Might help 😊

Latest posts

Back