What are your opinions on CCTV in your workplace?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharls

Reaction score
Hi my fellow hairstylists.
I have started this topic to get to know how you feel about cameras in your salons?? My manager is going to put some up so she can keep an eye on everything that goes on when shes on holiday etc. We work pretty well as a team and noone steals anything. I can only feel alittle insecure about this.

If there nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about. Not like it's in your bedroom

Im not a hairgeek, but ive worked at 2 salons with CCTV. If anything I felt more secure in my work place.

If anything happened (maybe twice in 3 years) it was good they could watch it unfold.

Xx

I don't accept the view that if one is doing nothing wrong one shouldn't be worried about being recorded every second of the day.

Why does anyone need to have that much power over individuals in a free society.

It sucks and I would oppose any workplace, care home, hospital, business or country that tried to impose it.

Without CCTV we would have never caught & banned a client for steeling & a staff member who was swearing a tan had cancelled when they hadn't, but had pocketed the money.

It depends if they are having cctv for a security purpose? or to watch your every move?

Our bosses only watched it if something happened, they wasn't saying "oh Steph you sat for 10 minutes doing nothing" they couldn't be bothered to watch 8-10 hours per day.

Xx

Yes that is true also, and they are good reasons to have the cctv. Maybe my boss has just wound us up to much about keeping eyes on us. Plus i would to feel to conscious that at some point i could be watched but obviously im not doing anything wrong

Yes of course, when I started work at these salons the cctv was already there. At first I was on my guard etc but I soon forgot about them.

And when girls wasnt pulling their weight cleaning etc it was never picked up by them watching cctv it was usually me moaning about them being lazy, Ha. And when we was quiet id sit & read a magazine and no one would complain.

They'll get bored of watching you if they are just being nosey.

Xx

I see both sides. I would hope an employer would use a camera for security and not so much 'spying' on employees.

Having someone I met at a business conference harass me for over 10 years now, I gladly love cameras.

A camera can help in any sort of instance where a client says he/she paid, but they didn't or even a crime.

I have cctv in my salon. I can assure you your boss probably will have better things to do then watch you all day. But it's very handy when there is a problem etc. 😜

I'm toying with the idea of this.

We are in a very isolated location and have our main door unlocked unless we are both in the treatment rooms. My daughter was in reception last week when a man and woman strolled in. The woman tried to distract my daughter while the man nicked some lip gloss testers. Not the crime of the century but I do think cctv would have been a deterrent.

Obviously the front door is now locked at all times and clients have to ring a bell to be let in!

If I can get a good price I may go for it!

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm toying with the idea of this.

We are in a very isolated location and have our main door unlocked unless we are both in the treatment rooms. My daughter was in reception last week when a man and woman strolled in. The woman tried to distract my daughter while the man nicked some lip gloss testers. Not the crime of the century but I do think cctv would have been a deterrent.

Obviously the front door is now locked at all times and clients have to ring a bell to be let in!

If I can get a good price I may go for it!

Good luck

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

Have you used just a normal bell for this or is there a feature of when the buzz the door, the door opens? Could do with something like this for my salon x

It was an alarm system originally.

As you open the door it sort of ding dongs. It's quite clear and lots but not too loud. Your best asking in a hardware shop, and we have a normal door bell as well.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

We have it where I work & it doesn't bother me. The only time the boss observes staff is when he has a feeling they aren't doing their job as they should. 2 have been sacked for not cleaning sunbeds & not securing the shop at close, this was after warnings too! I think he always checks at the end of the day to make sure the building is secure but it really doesn't bother me

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

I'm not saying in a salon it is right or wrong ... I am ranting a bit :)

But give it a few more years and every single move we ever make will be recorded by someone ... except maybe in our own houses.

Like all good ideas that spring forth from a genuine requirement it is taken over and eventually used for a purpose for which it was not intended.

Like the innocent curiosity of the scientist who discovered 'Nuclear Fusion', great for providing power but not so great when 'they' decided to use this discovery to build the hydrogen/atom bomb.

I know ladies ... it's a lazy Sunday morning and this thread is an innocent CCTV debate ... enough talk about Atom bombs already :rolleyes: :wink2: :cool:

Have a good day everyone ... big hugs lol xxxxxxxx

In my last job last year (top salon in London) it was riddled with cctv... The manager would sit and watch it every morning and see who walked in late (over 60 employees).

There was a camera in the staff room which was also a locker room and used as a changing room... Totally inappropriate when you have loads of young girls getting changed in the staff room as there was no where else to change and the only person checking for "Lateness" is a man lol

There was even a camera in the laundry room so couldn't change in there, I used to get changed on the stair case as I'm pretty sure the toilets most probably had a secret camera haha They were ultra paranoid about staff stealing but in the time I worked there I never heard 1 issue of someone stealing so go figure...

I have put cctv up in my salon which also records sound. I only have this for insurance purposes incase a client says we didn't cover something with them or spillages on their belongings which wasn't caused by us etc. also for security. I never spy on my staff though unless I think things are going missing then I never check 😊

Latest posts

Back