What causes thick toenails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
So what exactlyy causes thickened toenails? A client I had the other night had only thick big toes, all the rest were normal. What's.the cause and treatment for this?

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using SalonGeek

There are many things that cause toenails to thicken.

For a start, thickened toenails are mostly seen on mature adults! Some just think thickening happens with age, but I believe that age and continual wearing of shoes over the years, and rubbing against the big toenails go hand in hand and I believe this trauma leads to the thickening of the large toenails particularly.

The other major cause of thickening toenails, is fungal infestation ( or onychmycosis) and if this is the cause then the toenails are often also discoloured, yellow/brown looking. They can also be quite smelly as well.

Whichever the cause, and there are other causes as well such as trauma injury etc. it is not up to us to either diagnose or to treat this condition ... It is a job for the podiatrist.

The good news is that a qualified person can reduce the thickness by filing and relieve the pain that rubbing against the inside of the shoes causes.

Last edited:
Hi hun

Like Geek said above continuous wearing of shoes does affect our toenails. I have few regular runners as my customers and they all suffer from thick toenails.

And also I want to share a quick story about my traumatised toenails ;)

Last year I celebrated my 30th birthday with 160km trek for charity (over the period of 5days). I terribly traumatised my toenails. Apart from losing one- pinky- the other one became super thick! It took months for them to regrow go back to normal (I mean like 8months)

And my big toenails have still got huge horizontal bumps from where the pressure was on my toes. But they are gradually coming back to normal.

My point is that sometimes the trauma doesn't have to be something we 're doing over the period of years but even days. I was really shocked how it affected my feet- toenails hence me sharing it with you :) And I had all the professional boots and socks needed xxxxx

Lots of things can affect thickening of the nails

Obvious ones are trauma and footwear. Footwear because if you are running for example your toes can bang against the top of the trainer allowing the nail edge to open and bacteria to get into the nail.

From my experience when people cut their toenails they tend to cut them and tear down the sides-again causing trauma

If you have a fungal infection over time a good nail can grow under it causing the nail to push up naturally to the top of their shoes.

I have treated young boys who play football for thickening nails too alongside their topical medicine.

If your client has just thickened big toes- does she have bunions? as this can push the toe up/side ways etc

You could see a podiatrist for thickened nails but you could also see someone like me- a pedicurist

Some of it is due to heredity (from parents). Could also be an age factor, as we age our toenails can get thicker. Fungus could also be a reason.

Latest posts

Back