What colouring technique to use?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dales nails

Reaction score
Hi there guys ive got a client in wednesday for a colouring service. she has short quite wavy hair. I texture cut it all over so she can wear it quite messy, but are in the process of growing out her front section, so we can wear and straighten the front section quite sleek and still texturise everywhere else, quite a "pink"- esqe kind of look. she is a base 7 with a fine scattering of silver. as her hair is short i do cap highlights with bleach 3%. last time she wanted a bit of red in. so i did the cap highlights as usual rinsed and dried. then applied some peek a boo red slices underneath her longer fringe section. perfect. Now this time she is wanting some blonde and red hi/lo/ lights all over. this is a look im not keen of, but she is really insistent that is what she wants. what will be the best technique to acheive this. without;
1; it looking like a patchwork quilt!
2; without the red residue running into the blonde!?
as her hair is quite short it may be a little fiddly with foils, but im open to suggestions. thanks guys for your help. x

u can do this with two caps. . i just cant write down how u do it, lol it cant be the rubber caps it has to be the polythene ones. . . i was taught this technique at college and have never used it cos i dont really like cap highlights at best of times, it involved doing one cap and painting on the darker colour first, and then putting another cap on top and pulling right throo the both of them and putting the light colour on topso that way if any of the residual tint on the lower cap brushed against the second caps hair, it was gonna get bleach applied str8 away so wudnt taint it. . then u rinse the first, then put some barrier cream on the blonde, then remove, then u rinse the darker, while the barrier cream protects it, and then u remove that and shampoo. when she did it it looked amazing, but i was always wary. . . lol. . so that is an option, but i cant vouch for it personally cos i aint done it. . x

wow cant say ive ever heard of that technique before. thanks for the advice, i might try the procedure out on my husband first and just apply conditioner, just so i can see how easy it is to pull through 2 caps.thanks for the info, i can imagine it giving a nice effect. if her hair was longer i would just foil it, but with it being short and having a slight wave i know it would be very fiddly to say the least!!its very very rare i use the cap as i just love foiling so much, but on certain clients theres no other choice. thanks for the heads up, this is why i love this site, such a wealth of info!!!

yeah iwud defo try it with conditioner just to see, u might figure out a way of doin it that doesnt involve pulling throo any of the other hair lol. . i think it has to do wit the pattern u do. . like skip every second row in the first cap and fill it in in the next. . . lemme know how u get on tho xx

Latest posts

Back