What could this problem be?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loualarta

Reaction score
I did a set of sculpted l&p nails on my cousin just over a week ago. Within 2 days she had lost 2 and by 4 days had none left. She said they just started to crumble away. She has product left on about 2 of her nail plates but the rest just kind of lifted off in 1 peice. I did a good prep and they were short as she cant have them too long for her job. I have never had this problem with any of my clients before. She had 2 sets of gel nails by another tech a few months ago and had exactly the same problem. She used to have mma and never had this problem but doesnt want this anymore (thank god) after I educated her on it. Could it be excesivly oily nail plates? Any help would be great because I really want to help her. Thankyou!!!

Is she on medication? Medication can sometimes affect nail enhancements.

loualarta said:
I did a set of sculpted l&p nails on my cousin just over a week ago. Within 2 days she had lost 2 and by 4 days had none left. She said they just started to crumble away. She has product left on about 2 of her nail plates but the rest just kind of lifted off in 1 peice. I did a good prep and they were short as she cant have them too long for her job. I have never had this problem with any of my clients before. She had 2 sets of gel nails by another tech a few months ago and had exactly the same problem. She used to have mma and never had this problem but doesnt want this anymore (thank god) after I educated her on it. Could it be excesivly oily nail plates? Any help would be great because I really want to help her. Thankyou!!!

What exactly do you do in your PREP?...if that is ok then try something like CND nailfresh as this is specially made for lift prone clients, use it after dehydrating the nail with scrubfresh and then scrubfresh again after using it.

Hi Thanks for the replys, she isnt on any medication. I prepped with cuticle erase. I leave it 5 mins to start working and then take off all the non living tissue with my pushie and curette, I then scrubfresh and go over once down the nail with my koala then I give a really good scrubfresh again. This is how I was taught and never have had this problem before. I have got some nailfresh but didnt think of using it as she never had the problem with the mma l&p. I think I will have a go with that next time. She really wants her nails again.

loualarta said:
Hi Thanks for the replys, she isnt on any medication. I prepped with cuticle erase. I leave it 5 mins to start working and then take off all the non living tissue with my pushie and curette, I then scrubfresh and go over once down the nail with my koala then I give a really good scrubfresh again. This is how I was taught and never have had this problem before. I have got some nailfresh but didnt think of using it as she never had the problem with the mma l&p. I think I will have a go with that next time. She really wants her nails again.

just to check it is defo cuticle eraser and not cuticle remover you use....if it is Cuticle remover then you need to use water with citrusoak in to remove and neutralise it it before the scrubfresh or you can get lifting. she didnt have the problem with mma as they have to rough up the nail plate so much with an e-file that she would lose ther own natural nail before the enhancement would come off!!! I am Creative trained and was always taught to use cuticle remover (clear product in a tall plastic bottle) NOT cuticle eraser (white cream in a blue tube) for PREP.

Remember and ScrubFresh after NailFresh. You could also include acide free primer if you have any. Hopefully that will do the trick. Keep us posted.

nailsbydesign said:
just to check it is defo cuticle eraser and not cuticle remover you use....if it is Cuticle remover then you need to use water with citrusoak in to remove and neutralise it it before the scrubfresh or you can get lifting. she didnt have the problem with mma as they have to rough up the nail plate so much with an e-file that she would lose ther own natural nail before the enhancement would come off!!! I am Creative trained and was always taught to use cuticle remover (clear product in a tall plastic bottle) NOT cuticle eraser (white cream in a blue tube) for PREP.

Yes Cuticle Remover is a great Product and I do train with it and use it..on nailbiters and first time clients......but I still use my Aha Cuticle eraser on regular clients as it also works......I never have a problem with lifting and tend to think if it ain't broke don't fix it.....Although with cuticle Eraser you don't leave it on to do the work, you massage it in to let the micro exfoliants loosen up the cuticle for easy removal HTH

Also geeks...who are these people with the oily nails...in the years I have been doing nails I haver never come across anyone with excessively oily nails!!!...I think this reason is turning out to be a fall back position when we can't explain why nails lift!!...Oh it must be oily nails...use Nailfresh!!....

Could it possibly be that this client due to the etching and mma nails now has a very thin weak nail plate which product now has trouble adhering too?.....

Or could you have been working with too wet a mix ratio...especially in zone 3...as this can cause what some clients would describe as crumbling.....

It is definatly cuticle erase I am using. It could be the mix but that wouldnt explain why she had the same problem with the gel from another tech. It could be damage from the mma. I am gonna put another set on her and use the nailfresh and acid free primer. I will post how it goes. Thanks for the advice xx

Latest posts

Back