what do they do in one day course for manicure and pedicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done many 1 day courses and have had on going support from the training centre I have attended, I have put a lot of work into this not just the practical side but the theory as well, and gained a lot of experience through practising on family, friends etc. My courses I felt were not expensive and I will get back 10 fold what I paid in the first place, I have never seen this as an easy route or a fast buck and find this quite insulting. I have been able to learn at my own pace and gain knowledge and confidence to carry out professional treatments on my clients.

Some beauty therapists I have been to in the past who are supposed to be college trained have no common sense, no people skills or confidence.

To conclude one day courses concernatrate on individual needs where as college based courses have to cater for at least 16 students per class.

I thought this site was supposed to be for nail techs/beauty therapists asking for help or questions relating to products etc, as far as I can tell its nothing more than a site for bitching and talking about creative left right and centre.

Sorry I know I will be booed and hissed at, but I used to really enjoy coming on here, for a chin wag and a look to see what other people are doing in there lives, god has it changed.

Violet, are you known by another user name? As you seem to have only just registered. I believe Geeg was generalising and with all of her experience in the industry she has more ability than others to make such generalisations. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

It is true that there is a large proportion of Creative trained Geeks here, this is because the site is administered by the upper echelons of Creative Nail Design, and we all gravitate towards it somehow, however, everyone is welcome no matter where or who you trained with.

Silverchick, in response to your last post, I believe Biosculpture is a good and reputable system and the training seems to be in a similar structure to Creative (from what you have described) with a couple of days at the beginning then an assessment after a couple of weeks practice and then a final day. As far as I can tell you are going about your training the right way.

Haven't seen any bitching in this thread.
I talk about what I use like any other tech.
The number of Creative users on this site merely reflects the Creative proportion of market share and all other products are also talked about probably in rough percentages of their market share.
My post said
One day classes service people with this motive as well as unsuspecting 'others' who simply do not know how inadequate the classes are and are duped. One day classes do not give anyone a basic ground work. At best one day classes give the basics of the basic groundwork ... if that.
Which is neither general nor insulting to anyone ... unless the cap fits.

If you look at it, all courses are a series of 'one day' classes are they not?

The ORIGINAL poster was asking if a one day class was adequate. Why is answering NO considered bitchy?? I gave my reasons and others have responded with theirs. I call it discussion ... you call it bitchy? Oh dear.

I 100% agree with geegs comments and have written so on previous occassions. My beef with the short courses are that you are not assessed regularly and are therefore more likely to pick up bad habits or just do things incorrectly. You could be working for several years and say that you have experience but if you work alone who is there to check your work if you have not had your assessments in the first place?? All that means is that you could have experience of doing things incorrectly.

I am not getting at any one person so please don't pm me this is purely my thoughts. This is why the industry needs to be regulated and everyone trained to the same level it would then stop these sorts of arguments.
Charlotte

I thought this site was supposed to be for nail techs/beauty therapists asking for help or questions relating to products etc, as far as I can tell its nothing more than a site for bitching and talking about creative left right and centre.

Sorry I know I will be booed and hissed at, but I used to really enjoy coming on here, for a chin wag and a look to see what other people are doing in there lives, god has it changed.

According to your post, Violet, this is only the 2nd time you have posted. Yet you say that in the past, you really enjoyed coming on the site for a chin wag etc?? So ... you must have re registered again under another name?? Maybe just come back under false pretenses to try and cause some trouble?

I think just as many are enjoying the site as much as ever and judging by the number of posts, many more are also enjoying it ... until we see derogatory posts like yours designed to cause trouble and Creative bash.

Your choice whether you play here or not. If you do not enjoy it, then don't come.

I sometimes get the 'feeling', from the tone on here, that "if you're training's not Creative, then perhaps your training is second rated. But hey, thats just a feeling and probably based on the large number of Creative Geeks on here and the administration of the site.

Geeg mentioned the disproportionate cost of these 1-day courses. Again, all dependant on whether one expects to run a business following a single 1-day course or not, but in my opinion, £100 is not a lot of money for a 1-day taster, compared to say a few hundred pounds for a lengthy college course that one might hate after a couple of days or so. In fact, its not much more than the cost of a couple of video games that you buy your kids!

I do completely agree there are rip-off companies out there - who will suggest that you can earn a fortune following a 1-day course, but if you have your head screwed on the right way, I'm sure someone with half-an-ounce of intelligence will see through this, do there research - i.e. here - and go with someone reputable, even if that is a 1-day course.

I do not beleive that a 1-day course, for a beginner is a rip off or a waste of money as long as the 'student' knows what she will get out of it and appreciates that on day 2 she won't be opening a salon on the local high street with no further training.

Some on here may assume that every newby is 'out to make a fast buck', in many cases, I'm sure that is true, but not in all cases.

I know I've only done a 1-day course, and intend doing one or two more, as well as a Foundation course, but I have no desire to pursue a living out of nails - frankly I don't beleive a career in nails can replace my current salary. what I look forward to is having a hobby, learning something new and exciting and using it to help my friends/family, which I have no intention of doing so until much much practice following my courses.

**no disrespect to anyone who takes the nail industry much more serious in terms of their career.**

hi,
im about to take a one day course in manicure and pedicure, does anyone know what do they teach you in a day course.

And also swedish massage its for a day how fast can someone learn a day course if you've never done beauty work before.

regards
Presh

The only one day courses i have ever taken have been for product training & i can honestly say that i don't think i could ever learn manicure & pedicure procedures in a day.

Jessica product training is a day each for mani & pedi so thats two days to learn just the products & the Jessica procedure !!

The thing about college courses that people often forget is you get time to practise the routines every week on each other & clients. Do you get this on a day course ? I know that when you have finished the course you go home & practise but do you a have a tutor there to tell you that your polish application could be better or you have missed out or performed the massage movements incorrectly ?

All worth bearing mind when you choose a course :hug:

I assure you this is not about 'creative bashing'!!! I neither have the time or the inclination to do so! If i have registered under a new name i ask some of you respectfully to please ask yourself why??????? after all one doesnt willingly leave one's self wide open to :grr: comments!!!!!!!!!!!! They serve no other purpose other than to undermine, an belittle!!!!!! This of course is only my oppinion! Which i 'WAS' under the impression i was entitled to!!

There are some very good short courses on the market that do offer extensive ongoing training, and these serve a purpose i one respect or another!! I think most are agreed!!! I myself with family, and career responsibilities would not have the time or or funding to enrole on a college course. Should i in these circumstances be denied retraining in what ever i choose?????????

It is so simple ... how can a simple question get such dander up?? Unbelievable really.

The ORIGINAL poster was asking if a one day class was adequate training? The poster is new to the industry and not experienced. She was not asking if a series of one day classes was enough ... she was asking if one one-day class was enough. Why is answering NO got some so riled up?

We have all given our reasons for our answers. The majority agree that a one day class is not adequate. Those who have done those classes seem to feel they have to justify having done them.

I think the question has been answered, and the poster took it on board and has made her own conclusions.

I assure you this is not about 'creative bashing'!!! I neither have the time or the inclination to do so! If i have registered under a new name i ask some of you respectfully to please ask yourself why??????? after all one doesnt willingly leave one's self wide open to :grr: comments!!!!!!!!!!!! They serve no other purpose other than to undermine, an belittle!!!!!! This of course is only my oppinion! Which i 'WAS' under the impression i was entitled to!!

There are some very good short courses on the market that do offer extensive ongoing training, and these serve a purpose i one respect or another!! I think most are agreed!!! I myself with family, and career responsibilities would not have the time or or funding to enrole on a college course. Should i in these circumstances be denied retraining in what ever i choose?????????

My take on this thread is that no-one is saying all 1 day courses are rubbish! It totally depends on what 1 day course, with whom and for what purpose.... I like you do not have the circumstances to do a 20 week college course, but a 1 day course as a follow up or additional to a more detailed Foundation course is a completely different proposition to a single 1 day course promising 'complete training'.

Of course you shouldn't be denied re-training because you don't want to go to college, and provided you have recognised Foundation training under your belt most reputable companies will offer 1 day conversion/retraining days.....

As regards the re-registering under a different name, I think it's a shame. It is a democracy, we have free speech but the trouble with anonymity is that sometimes it makes people take less care over choosing their words. I hope this doesn't happen to you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back