what do they do in one day course for manicure and pedicure

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Im currently studying mani and pedi at college and our course is a twenty week course! On Our course we have to be assessed on 3 paying clients giving them both a mani and a pedi, plus nail exams ( on what we know on the nail structure, bones in hands and arm, leg and feet etc ) also on top of that we have a BIG health and safety section to learn and be examined on, PLUS MORE!

In my opinion i have no idea how everything could possibly be covered on a 1 day course as im worried about completeing everything on a 20 week course!

If i were you i would look into courses at your local college that offer a recognised qualification. :) HTH

You have just reiterated everything I and some other geeks have already said,but yes you are right.

well,
im still think if i will or not doing the one day course,like some said, how can you learn everthing in a day?thats true.so i better learn with a college.

thanks all for your advice

Presh

The poor girl who posted this thread only asked an honest question and look what happened.

Yes, look what happened. She got an honest answer from me. Thank God she's listened instead of being misled by those who advise that a one day course is sufficient for the basics with lots of practice afterward that will give them the talent they need! :rolleyes:

well,
im still think if i will or not doing the one day course,like some said, how can you learn everthing in a day?thats true.so i better learn with a college.

thanks all for your advice

Presh
Yes you do right hun, go to collage or find a course that takes a lot longer than one day, that way you will be confident in what you are doing and confident that your training is up to scratch, people on here were not been nasty towards you, we all get fedup of the people that say they can teach you a career in one day, as you will have realised now its imposible to learn anything in one day and all the trainers are trying to do is make quick money, hope you find the course for you and i wish you well in your future, oh yes and welcome to the site :hug:

Thank God she's listened instead of being misled by those who advise that a one day course is sufficient for the basics with lots of practice afterward that will give them the talent they need! :rolleyes:

That would also depend on the individual's definition of 'sufficient'. Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with the majority of geeks on here regarding the quality of short courses and for individuals who are looking for a career in nails, or an indepth education, then obviously, a 1-day mani/pedi course is NOT sufficient.

However, the only point I was raising is that a short course CAN be sufficient should that person have an insight into the content of the course and that content suit her needs - i.e a product course or an introduction/foundation - following which, that person may take their interest further and perhaps turn it into a career with further education.

Furthermore, correct me if i'm wrong, whether you do a 1-day introduction, a 5-day Foundation or a 20-week college course, doesn't 'practice make perfect'? This is all I meant when I said "lots of practice".

Finally, I never advised or attempted to mislead her into taking a 1-day course - I simply commented on my experience.

Everyone's got to start somewhere!

I made an informed decision to do introductory and Foundation courses before considering a college course - this decision was based on researching this site. There is a training post on this site that recommends foundation courses, such as the NSI or Creative. Are you telling me that a product course is NOT a good introduction? Do the likes of NSI/Creative not provide good training because its their reputation in your hands?

!
I made an informed decision to do introductory and Foundation courses before considering a college course - this decision was based on researching this site. There is a training post on this site that recommends foundation courses, such as the NSI or Creative. Are you telling me that a product course is NOT a good introduction? Do the likes of NSI/Creative not provide good training because its their reputation in your hands?

A Foundation course from Creative (can't speak for others) is a fantastic introduction (I think the industry awards they have won and their reputation is a clear testament to that fact) and it is made abundantly clear that it is only that, an introduction one module to further learning. Students are assessed and also tested over the 4 week period ... not possible on a one day course.

On a 1 day course there is no guarantee that any of the information handed out is ever even assimilated! It is a hand out!! Neither are any skills honed or perfected. This is really silly my even arguing the point, it is so obvious.

Many of these 1 day things are proportionally WAY more expensive than longer courses and with virtually nothing gained from it at the end apart from maybe a 'taster' to dip a toe in the water. Damned Expensive dip if you ask me. More like a damned expensive RIP.

i would deffo go to college and learn the proper manicure and pedicure , and if you are doing massage i would definatley learn the full course as there is so much to take in !! i have done intense day courses as refreshers but i knew all the basics, diseases , disorders, bones , circulatory system , lymphatic, endocrine, etc etc....
there is a hell of a lot with anything in this industry and you will want to know how to deal with certain things on clients
hope this helps dee x

On a 1 day course there is no guarantee that any of the information handed out is ever even assimilated! It is a hand out!! Neither are any skills honed or perfected. This is really silly my even arguing the point, it is so obvious.
When I did my 1 day mani/pedi, I reiterate that we were all techs who had been assessed on the gel course. I like to think that I keep myself up to date with knowledge and reading but I agree that with short courses, there is no garantee that any information handed out is absorbed by another student.

I have to honestly say that this is something which has always niggled at the back of my mind. I am currently researching a good beauty therapy course for myself. I would prefer a short intensive course because of my family commitments but don't want to get ripped off by a fast track system which does not meet industry standards.

I am going to sounds really stupid now, so please forgive me. I did my 5 day foundation course with Creative and have since had others days with them ie Skill building. I have also attended the Spa Mani and Pedi day. Have I read correctly then that I shouldn't be offering manicures and pedicures to clients!!

Sorry I told you I was going to sound stupid :smack:

I was planning on doing the spa manicure course after foundation training - is this not a good idea then - I should be doing something more in depth??

Hiya,

You the same as me have attended Creatives foundation course, so i'm under the impression that because we have done all the in depth stuff (anatomy etc) creative spa manicure course is fine for us to take as its product training.

Please someone correct me if i am wrong but this is what i thought was ok for us if we have done the foundation.

thanks

Hiya,

You the same as me have attended Creatives foundation course, so i'm under the impression that because we have done all the in depth stuff (anatomy etc) creative spa manicure course is fine for us to take as its product training.

Please someone correct me if i am wrong but this is what i thought was ok for us if we have done the foundation.

thanks

My position is similar to your's Laura, but I chose to do the SPA Mani ahead of my Foundation to give me that little bit of an introduction (to using a file and a brush).

I now have the same question as you in my head. Should I cancel my £650 Foundation Course cause it will mean didly-squat!! I am doing the NSI Foundation, which is over 4-weeks with assessments and post-course continued assessment/development.

Would love to hear from someone who has done this course and perhaps has chose not to do any so called 'professional' qualification.

Unfortunately, due to work and family commitments, a long(er) term college course is out of the question, at present.

It is my understanding that it is not a problem getting insurance following successful completion of some product courses - certainly the courses I have chosen.

Before the end of the year, or certainly before Spring, I hope to have completed a number of courses, with NSI, including Pedi, and nail art.

I don't see a whole lot wrong with a one day course on Manicures and/or pedicures as long as you have additional nail training already. Most aspects of a foundation course are applicable to a manicure/pedicure course (i.e. sanitation, H&S, anatomy, etc...). On top of that, you need to learn massage techniques. But what else above and beyond that?

Sure, an induction or other type 1 day course may not be enough, however depending on your background, it may be enough to get you into the services that more clients have than enhancments! I think the overall point is that if all you do is a course in a day, or if you choose to stop after an 'intorduction' then you need to rethink things. Other than that... learn on! A one day course is a hell of a lot better than no course ;)

After reading some of the postings, I imagine many newbies are now terrified about asking questions/ posting comments.
I would imagine that anyone who takes the time to
1:sign up on this site
2: read it on a nightly basis(which i have found impossible not to do)
3: make the effort to research and do a course (although course surely by definition means more than one?)
would also be the type of person that after a 'course' be it 1 day, 3 day or longer, would also be the type of person to have a thirst for all things related, either gleaning knowledge from the site, researching on the internet or reading books etc.
In a previous incarnation as a Chef, I did not start really 'learning' until out of college and working in industry.
I wanted to start a new career in your industry after several years of devoted attendance to my biosculpture salon and one lady in particular sparked an interest in facing a new challenge in my life. A belief in a good product that has worked wonders on me and a want to help others have my much admired nails set me on a path to learn as much as i can, in a way that fits in with my life, and yes, this started with a one day course.
I don't for a second think i've learned the ins and outs of manicure in one day and would imagine anyone is under a huge illusion if they think this but in order to take the biosculpture training, they require a 'proffeciency in manicure' . Take that as you will, and so I did indeed do a one day course.
I enjoyed this, and the practice I have done since will, i hope lead to me becoming an efficient manicurist,along with copious amounts of reading, research and discussion with everyone on this and other similar sites.
Please don't shoot down in flames people dipping their manicured toe into your world, remember, you took years to get the knowledge and techniques to the level they are now, and a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.And some of like to start that journey with a baby step!!!

OK, I did a VTCT mani and pedi course. I learnt quite a lot but I think I need to learn more, as per usual.
I will do additional courses to be the best that I can.
It may be a personal thing, some people just want to get a certificate for insurance purposes. A few techs I know don't even have that, they have done a 2 day course in nail enhancements and have got a job in a salon.
The lack of training will let them down when they have no idea what to answer when their client asks a question.
I like to know the answer and I like to know what I'm talking about.

Hiya,

thanks
Just to address this question; Yes, its fine.

The induction course is simply an introduction for experienced nail professionals only. From there, your next step should be Pre-Masters, then Master Manicure and Master Pedicure. They kick the crap out of most college courses.

20 weeks to learn manicure and pedicure? Does that include cutting the eponychium, filing the free edge from side to centre?

Does it include anything on nail enhancments which are 10 times more complex than a manicure/pedicure.

If you already have proper training as a nail professional covering aspects of anatomy, contra indications, H&S, prepping and caring for the natural nail... how much more training do you need in order to learn how to paint the natural nail and massage the hand and lower arm? Or to paint the toes and massage the foot and lower leg?

I am not saying that these things do not require additional training, nor am I saying that a one day course is enough. What I am saying is that a one day course is enough of an introduction into adding manicure and pedicure if they are already appropriately trained. No training is ever complete with an introduction.

After reading some of the postings, I imagine many newbies are now terrified about asking questions/ posting comments.

remember, you took years to get the knowledge and techniques to the level they are now, and a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.And some of like to start that journey with a baby step!!!

I can't understand the first sentence at all and think it is uncalled for.

The poster wasn't terrified at all and posted to thank everyone for their comments and seemed to appreciate the advice given.

Baby steps may be fine for some if they want to squander their money and, as long as they do consider each as a baby step and not the entire journey!

My biggest concern with one day courses (apart form the quality of the information and teaching) is the disproportionate amount of money they cost compared to longer courses. The prices are not reasonable and one might as well put that money toward a longer more reputable and more informative class that will leave one more confident and better informed.

I do hope I haven't left you shaking in your shoes.

Perhaps I need to explain that sentence more fully then, although i don't really see how one can take offence to something that wasn't understood?
What I meant was that someone who is considering doing a one day course, asked, simply how much could be learned and was met with a few depracating comments from some quarters.
Of course not only would that depend on the course content but on the persons ability to digest information given within and the quality of the tutor and their ability to divulge the information.
I would also expect that usually, anyone considering a new career would at least have a basic interest in it , they wouldn't just wake up one morning ,( and of course this is only an assumption I wouldn't want the comment to be misinterpreted)
and think "I know I'm going to be a manicurist/ chef/ mechanic", they would probably have already been researching the subject and have an interest in it. As I said, this is only an assumption, based on experience .
No one that knows how to make a cake would call themselves a pattisier, but that doesn't mean they can't gain something from a days lesson from someone of experience, but of course that also depends on the quality of instruction.
Doing a days course , serves at best, to whet the appetite of the person attending, give them a basic groundwork for what I assume will be a long learning experience, I would imagine even those in the profession for many years would still need to update their education on a fairly frequent basis, as there are so many new products and tecniques in development.

I do hope I haven't left you shaking in your shoes.
And your hopes are met, I am not shaking at all.
:)

Perhaps I need to explain that sentence more fully then, although i don't really see how one can take offence to something that wasn't understood?
What I meant was that someone who is considering doing a one day course, asked, simply how much could be learned and was met with a few depracating comments from some quarters.
Of course not only would that depend on the course content but on the persons ability to digest information given within and the quality of the tutor and their ability to divulge the information.
I would also expect that usually, anyone considering a new career would at least have a basic interest in it , they wouldn't just wake up one morning ,( and of course this is only an assumption I wouldn't want the comment to be misinterpreted)
and think "I know I'm going to be a manicurist/ chef/ mechanic", they would probably have already been researching the subject and have an interest in it. As I said, this is only an assumption, based on experience .
No one that knows how to make a cake would call themselves a pattisier, but that doesn't mean they can't gain something from a days lesson from someone of experience, but of course that also depends on the quality of instruction.
Doing a days course , serves at best, to whet the appetite of the person attending, give them a basic groundwork for what I assume will be a long learning experience, I would imagine even those in the profession for many years would still need to update their education on a fairly frequent basis, as there are so many new products and tecniques in development.

And your hopes are met, I am not shaking at all.
:)

I think that what we are saying is that a day course will keep you up to date with what is going on in your chosen career.
I may do many one day courses in the future but my appetite is well and truly whetted.
We learn what we need to on the first courses that we take and continue to learn as time goes by. It's called Progression.
hth

It's really simple I would have thought:

I can't understand the first sentence ... means, Where is the relevance here?? Can't see why you would have written that as the poster clearly was not terrified nor are hundreds of other new posters. I clearly was not saying that I literally did not understand what you meant by the sentence. :rolleyes:

... and think it is uncalled for. Means ... it was an unnecessary and uncalled for comment as it served no purpose at all as it is obvious that it is patently untrue.

Where you think I show I am offended by it, beats me!! I don't offend easily.

You make an assumption which simply is not correct, based on my 20 years of teaching in the nail profession.

MANY people do not enter this industry because they 'have a basic interest in IT,(meaning nails ). Thousands enter this industry because they see MONEY in it and they think it is a cheap and easy way to make a fast buck. They want to take the quickest and easiest route to making that fast buck and have really no interest whatever in nails outside of making that fast buck. They certainly have no interest in doing the job right. Very short sighted of them, but none the less, true.

One day classes service people with this motive as well as unsuspecting 'others' who simply do not know how inadequate the classes are and are duped. One day classes do not give anyone a basic ground work. At best one day classes give the basics of the basic groundwork ... if that.

It is the same in the beauty industry. You have your beauty therapists who have trained for years in depth and really understand what they are doing, and then you have the 'one day wonders' who have done a one day class (one can hardly call it a course ... as it is a course of nothing) in giving a basic facial. A one day class in Reflexology!! A one day class in waxing, etc etc. And these people operate as fully trained and qualified Beauty Therapists. It must gall the well trained professionals, just as it galls me when I see the same thing in the nail business.

Of course training is an on going LIFE LONG thing. That is why at the Creative Nail Academy we call it Life Long Learning! I will not go on about that as I have done in many many posts and it can be searched if one is interested.

I think it is plain for anyone to see the proliferation of untrained (or badly trained) people who are doing nails. It is a real problem in our industry and these one day classes that promise training are one of the reasons for it. People fall for it because they think doing nails is easy and they will pick it up right away, they do not think about all the other things that go along with the 'doing' part ... they think it will be a cinch and that one day is all they need!

If someone asks me for advice ... which is what I am here for, then I am going to give them the benefit of my experience. I don't think anyone should find it 'terrifying' ... just the truth. Take your hard earned cash and do something with it that is worthwhile and will give you a positive result for that experience.

And I was clearly expressing an opinion, to which I believe I am entitled as I believe we live in democracy. Lets leave the subject at that shall we?
I do however agree with the things you say about companies making a fast buck on the backs of those who think there is a quick way to earn money, obviously i'm being naive in thinking that people would only do something they had an interest in to make money. I can't imagine anything more awful than doing something as a job that you have no interest in at all! Just to make money!!
Hopefully, most of the people on this site are VERY interested in perfecting their craft, which can only be done with education and practice!
Is the course I am about to attend (Biosculpture) only two days (initially) because its an easier system than others? I do have to do a tip application course, which is held with then, and then a 1 day course in the system itself and returning for assesment a while after that. Its got me concerned now that I'm not going about this in the right way, but as you can only get training with biosculpture I don't see any other option? Any advice?
I've paid for my kit an(bought at the Earls Court show)and the 1 day tip course, (which I did think was very expensive at £125!) The price of the rest of the training is included in the kit.
I went for biosculpture because its what I had after my nails were left in a very poor state after acrylics (NSS BEFORE i SAW THE LIGHT!) and was impressed by the product, but now am thinking i need to expand on that and do a college course, or similar.
Is biosculpture a good system? is their training good enough? does anyone have an opinion they can share???
I have to say that the stand at Earls court was heaving with people, I had to go back twice to get seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back