What do you guys suggest?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Becky_simon

Reaction score
Hi ladies

I did my mother in laws nails last week. She had a buff off gel overlay and polish. She suffers with not being able to keep polish on her nails very long because she is a very busy lady. Her nails are strong, ridged but are prone the breaking, peeling and can be rough around the free edge. Sometimes her nails break just where the white starts. She doesn't and wont wear gloves when do any cleaning, this includes washing up and handling bleach. She doesn't use hand cream or cuticle oil.

I saw her today for a cuppa and she asked me whats happened here. Basically on one of the free edges the polish and the gel has completely chipped away. She asked why this has happened and I said the obviouse answer! She wants me to re-do them, what do you guys suggest? The same or just a polish? Also would Shellac work better for her, or would that come away as well?

Many thanks

Hi ladies

I did my mother in laws nails last week. She had a buff off gel overlay and polish. She suffers with not being able to keep polish on her nails very long because she is a very busy lady. Her nails are strong, ridged but are prone the breaking, peeling and can be rough around the free edge. Sometimes her nails break just where the white starts. She doesn't and wont wear gloves when do any cleaning, this includes washing up and handling bleach. She doesn't use hand cream or cuticle oil.

I saw her today for a cuppa and she asked me whats happened here. Basically on one of the free edges the polish and the gel has completely chipped away. She asked why this has happened and I said the obviouse answer! She wants me to re-do them, what do you guys suggest? The same or just a polish? Also would Shellac work better for her, or would that come away as well?

Many thanks

Shellac will not work well on peeling nails. I wouldn't do anything for her again until she will do the proper aftercare, it's a waste of time any money! I know shes your mother in law so it's a delicate situation but you dont want her to think your not good at your job!

Is there not another system I could use that would be durable in the conditions she puts her hands into?

Her nails only peel at the free edge slightly, they just take so much abuse. Would would an a L&P overlay be like? I thought it wouldn't be right because her nails are already very strong and quite thick on her thumbs x

Any other suggestions?

I've found Gelish to be more durable in cases like this; however, even Gelish will not last without at least minimal care.

Unfortunately for your MIL she has to take some responsibility for having nice nails if she wants to keep them that way. It certainly isn't fair on you, or indeed any help to your confidence, if she won't follow the advice you give her and actively refuses to comply with aftercare. I would stop doing her nails immediately and spend your time doing them for someone who will treasure them and appreciate the work you put in.

xx

Last edited:
Thank you for your responses ladies, really appreciated.

I have another question to ask. When she wears nail polish (Its just an Avon or Maybellene brand) it stays on for a week (Avon) and 2 weeks (maybellene), obviously there is cuticle growth and its completely flawed at the free edge but on the whole it stays put. So why is it the gel comes away, when I would have expected that to last a little longer?

Also I take it Acrylic overlay wouldnt work? As acrylic is very strong and her nails are strong, surely something would have to give....as in the nail might break....would she not need a system with flexibiltiy? x

Hi ladies

Many thanks

If she is trashing her nails then what else does she expect you to do with them? Your not a miracle worker. :rolleyes: If she can't look after her nails when you have given her aftercare advice then I think no matter what nail service you do on her it will make no difference. :biggrin:

Try talking her out of applying nail polish or wearing sheer polish that won't show the peeling so much..or just do the cuticle care and file her nails and just apply a clear coat ..

No treatment whatsoever will be effective if applied once and no polish,gel color, whatever, will last if she doesn't take care or her nails !

Aren't family members the hardest to work with?

Thank you ladies. I will issue her with my printed out version of my Client Aftercare, and see if I can knock some sense into...in the nicest way possible :biggrin: Its such good fun xx

Latest posts

Back