What do you think of my nail biting cure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buggy

Reaction score
I've just been to give a consultation to a 12 yr old girl. her mom rang me because she's a nail biter and wanted her to have enhancements to stop her biting, so i said i would need to go round to discuss it. All week i've been trying to think of ways to incentivise her not to bite and this is what i came up with.

i personally think that having enhancements aged 12 is too young (not to mention her school would probably have a mental) and told her and her mom that having enhancements simply won't be enuf to stop her biting and she may do more damage, so this is what i proposed. She has typical nail biter's nails.

i have told them that i will book her in for a 10 week course of manicures and have sold them some cuticle eraser and solar oil to rub in twice daily (which hopefully will encourage her to look after her nails). during this time i will be monitoring her nails and, to give her some encouragement, every week i will look at her nails and if i feel she has done her best not to bite or pick and generally look after her nails (i've told her i'm psychic so I will know!) i will give her a "£5.00 voucher" but if i feel she has had a good nibble and not carried out her twice daily routine, i will deduct the voucher.

in 10 weeks, HOPEFULLY this will earn her a £50 voucher. This will entitle her to one set of enhancements (if she so chooses) for her mom's wedding and one soak off. If she chooses not to have the soak off and she is in agreement with her mom that she looks after them well enuf, i will do a rebalance but they must pay for any service carried above or over the £50.

If she chooses not to have enhancements (which i personally would prefer) then she can have free manicures up to the value of the voucher and/or some free products.

What do you think of my plan. (in reality it will not cost me £50 because that is the retail price of any services/products, not my trade price).

great idea but what about your time? if you are going to see her on a weeklybasis then surely you should chargefor the time it takes

Hi Toni my daughter is a really bad nail bitter and what I did was instead of giving her enhancements I just did the overlay which I have to say is working wonders:biggrin:
Its been two weeks and the nails have grown really well I am not sure how long I will leave them on for but because it was a very thin layer you dont see any gaps at the cuticle.
I have made sureshe applys cuticle oil daily aswell:Love:

i'm charging her my normal price for a mobile manicure. although she get a "£50 reward" (best case scenario for her) this will actually only cost me approx £20, which i don't think is a bad discount for a block booking. plus her mom's booked me for her wedding nails too.

ahhh i see hun
so you will get back plenty for the weekly visits
NOW i think its a great idea lol

nerakyarrum said:
Hi Toni my daughter is a really bad nail bitter and what I did was instead of giving her enhancements I just did the overlay which I have to say is working wonders:biggrin:
Its been two weeks and the nails have grown really well I am not sure how long I will leave them on for but because it was a very thin layer you dont see any gaps at the cuticle.
I have made sureshe applys cuticle oil daily aswell:Love:

hi i did tell her mom that i wasn't expecting miracles and its such a bad habit to get out of (i've told her to wear gloves when watching the tv) and if i felt it wasn't working after a few weeks that we would re-think and enhancements/overlay may be the way to go (i've seen people give up biting overnight with enhancements but i didn't want to go down this road at the moment because of her age and thought this way might help teach her to take care of her nails first and foremost). if this plan doesn't work, i think your idea of an overlay might be next on my list.

great idea - would never work with me mum though lol - i think a 12yr old would go for it cos of the £50 voucher incentive - £50 seems lloooaaddddsss when ur 12!! - let us know how u get on xx

yea, i will let you know how i'm going after 5 weeks. i'm going to design a card for her to keep at home (remember the gold stars you have at school for doing well) and for every gold star she gets the five quid voucher. Then she can see what she's earning. if this plan works i might introduce it as a "treatment plan for teens" on my price list or something. might pop up to the stationers tomorrow and find some stars.

What a brilliant idea, I will most definitely use that idea.

XX

joe90 said:
What a brilliant idea, I will most definitely use that idea.

XX
me to!!!!!!!!!!!!

I really like this idea Toni!! Hope it works xx

I must admit that a few years ago i had always bitten my nails until a freind came to see me who had lovely nails and said she would do my nails for me.......well I laughed and said ''what nails' She got some white french polish and painted the thin-ist line on my none existant free edge and then top coat 3 layers and they looked fab for the first time in my life. It looked like I had real nails at last. So the story starts of when I first decided to grow them and continue to look after them. So with a little patience it worked for me.

well, i will let you know how it goes. only took me a week to think of it!

Toni Talons said:
yea, i will let you know how i'm going after 5 weeks. i'm going to design a card for her to keep at home (remember the gold stars you have at school for doing well) and for every gold star she gets the five quid voucher. Then she can see what she's earning. if this plan works i might introduce it as a "treatment plan for teens" on my price list or something. might pop up to the stationers tomorrow and find some stars.

hi there when you have designed the card put it onhere so we can all have a look it might give us some ideas of what to put on. i am definately going to try this very excellent idea.
let us know how it goes would like to know the feedback
jenny

Really excellent idea hun
x

Toni Talons said:
I've just been to give a consultation to a 12 yr old girl. her mom rang me because she's a nail biter and wanted her to have enhancements to stop her biting, so i said i would need to go round to discuss it. All week i've been trying to think of ways to incentivise her not to bite and this is what i came up with.

i personally think that having enhancements aged 12 is too young (not to mention her school would probably have a mental) and told her and her mom that having enhancements simply won't be enuf to stop her biting and she may do more damage, so this is what i proposed. She has typical nail biter's nails.

i have told them that i will book her in for a 10 week course of manicures and have sold them some cuticle eraser and solar oil to rub in twice daily (which hopefully will encourage her to look after her nails). during this time i will be monitoring her nails and, to give her some encouragement, every week i will look at her nails and if i feel she has done her best not to bite or pick and generally look after her nails (i've told her i'm psychic so I will know!) i will give her a "£5.00 voucher" but if i feel she has had a good nibble and not carried out her twice daily routine, i will deduct the voucher.

in 10 weeks, HOPEFULLY this will earn her a £50 voucher. This will entitle her to one set of enhancements (if she so chooses) for her mom's wedding and one soak off. If she chooses not to have the soak off and she is in agreement with her mom that she looks after them well enuf, i will do a rebalance but they must pay for any service carried above or over the £50.

If she chooses not to have enhancements (which i personally would prefer) then she can have free manicures up to the value of the voucher and/or some free products.

What do you think of my plan. (in reality it will not cost me £50 because that is the retail price of any services/products, not my trade price).

Absolutely GREAT idea Antonia - well done!!!

cool, glad you all like it. i will put the card on here when i've done it. i'm going to get my gold stars on Monday.

print this off any let me know what you think. (hope this works with my dad cr&ppy broadband)

Attachments

• Bonus Builder.doc
    45.5 KB · Views: 106
I think this is an abolutely fabby idea! :) I had something similar for my daughter getting her into a bedtime routine when she was little. I decorated it with stars and fairies and she loved it. Have you thought about decorating it with your business name/graphics or girly things to give it an extra special feeling to it....or would that be over the top???

What a great idea!! it's inspired me to try something similar on my daughter who is 12 and a nail biter. I'm going to offer her £50 for a month of no nail biting, will do regular manicures and take pics of progress and make a chart or something. It'll be worth £50 as her nails are really bad - and she will probably buy clothes with the £50 which I would have bought one way or another.
So thanks!!! (fingers crossed!!)

Latest posts

Back