What gel polish products work on thin nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I'm in the sad situation of having to say goodbye to a regular client who simply can't seem to keep my Shellac or Gellux on. Bless her, she's given it a good shot, we've had many appointments but it's just not working for her.

I realise it doesn't suit everybody but she used to have "shellac" (a version of) where she used to live in Essex and never had any problems. She said it stayed on for 2.5/3 weeks. I've suggested we try acrylics but she doesn't want to although I did persuade her to try a gel overlay but it still came off.

I'd love to know what product it was that her Essex tech used but she doesn't know. It breaks my heart that she's going elsewhere, her Christmas Rockstars I did for her last Friday are off already and I've offered a refund so she can get them done somewhere else as I just feel so bad. I've done my best though.

So I'm wondering, what gel polish do you find suits the more difficult clients with thin or weak nails?

Have u considered OPI? I've heard awesome results from the new strengthening base coat although not had a chance to try it myself xx

I recently had a problem with my shellac cracking on week / flexible nails, i tried everything but kept having the same results. then i switched to Semilac products and I've had no problems since! If the nails are very thin i leave off the top coat, the gel polish is shiny enough without it.

I'm getting very good results with the new CND Duraforce top coat using a layer of it after the base coat and then again after the colour coats. It definitely makes the shellac last longer on bendy nails.
Soak off is 15 mins.

I'm getting very good results with the new CND Duraforce top coat using a layer of it after the base coat and then again after the colour coats. It definitely makes the shellac last longer on bendy nails.
Soak off is 15 mins.

Thanks for all the replies.

Duraforce might be something to consider as it slots right in with a range I already offer without new base, tops etc. Think I may lure her back with a freebie I'm the new year to try it out.

The problem with her seems to be that it doesn't stay adhered to her nails.

Am I barking up the wrong tree do you think?

If you do a search for duraforce on here there are other threads to help you.

Yes invite your client to model for a new product you're testing!
[emoji4]

Why not call the old tech and ask her what she uses?

Have you tried IBX on her?.

I have thin nails and the only way I can keep on gel polish is with a layer of (discontinued) Brisa lite smoothing gel. IBX did not help nor did LCNs natural nail gel

I was just going to say OPI with the strength basecoat.... use some protein bond too.

I have thin nails and the only way I can keep on gel polish is with a layer of (discontinued) Brisa lite smoothing gel. IBX did not help nor did LCNs natural nail gel
I used brisa (hard gel) as an overlay last time :(

Trouble with ibx is, it's not instant, and I think as she's had a product stay put perfectly well before without the extra faff and expense, she's looking for that result again.

I might ask her which salon she used to go to and call them, good idea. Bit embarrassing now, shellac was no good so tried gellux, gellux no good, gel overlay under shellac no good etc etc

Why are some peoples nails sooo awkward

Just seen duraforce takes nearly half an hour to soak off [emoji33] do yo charge extra for it?

The previous tech may have simply used something like Young Nails Protein Bond underneath. Might be worth a try for this lady.

Does anyone charge extra for duraforce as it takes longer to soak off?

I have very weak nails. I can't use shellac but a normal gel polish I can wear for 2 weeks with the help of IBX, Keeping them very short and using a bonder.
I also have to be much more careful with aftercare than most people. Does she follow aftercare?

I recently had a problem with my shellac cracking on week / flexible nails, i tried everything but kept having the same results. then i switched to Semilac products and I've had no problems since! If the nails are very thin i leave off the top coat, the gel polish is shiny enough without it.

How come not using a topcoat helps?
Also do you not need it to seal and protect it?

I have very weak nails. I can't use shellac but a normal gel polish I can wear for 2 weeks with the help of IBX, Keeping them very short and using a bonder.
I also have to be much more careful with aftercare than most people. Does she follow aftercare?

The trouble is, she feels as her old techs products stayed put fine, she wants that agsin, with no extra treatments/costs involved such as ibx. I can totally see where you're coming from though. Yes she's good with oiling and aftercare. She loves her nails and tries to look after them.

Feel so bad my products don't last on her.

Young Nails Protein Bond is definitely worth a try, a fantastic product for the problem your lady is having

Blossom, I had a couple of ladies who looked after their nails, but because they were weak, they didn't get as long as desired from their shellac. So as an experiment I started using brisa bond after my normal prep, before my usual shellac base, to see if it would have a bit more staying power & I have to say it's been brilliant & really helped those who have a few problems getting their shellac to last! I see you use brisa already so try the bond in with your shellac & see how you get on! Remember very thin with the bond, just as you would normally do HTH x

Latest posts

Back