What happened to the importance of the client experience?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saddlesore

Reaction score
Im perplexed with this one....
Im getting so tired with people rushing clients,not making the most of possible retail sales,bad manners,no social skills,no smiles,being friendly and even more important to me....disinterested in what they are doing and in their client.

What ever happened to the good old fashioned respect for all our customers,lets take care of them,be interested in them and do all we can to make them happy.

Far too many places around dont practise these simple,free and very effective steps which do genuinely increase client return,improve sales and make clients and therapists alike all happy!

I know we are all busy and sometimes clients can test us to our limits but honestly we are paid to provide the best possible service and that is what we should do.

I hand on heart care about each treatment I do and always want to give my all to my clients,I like to give them the best treatment,best advice and share all my relevant knowledge ensuring they are getting what they pay for.
Some clients come in to read a magazine and drink the cappucino and others come in to catch up and ask advice,they all need to be catered for afterall they are paying our bills and helping us achieve our business goals,without them where would we be!

Dont want to offend or irritate anyone just wanted to ask does anyone else notice this?

xxxxx

At the risk o sounding untruthful, my staff are genuinly committed to good customer service. My hairdressers really want their clients to be delighted, and my therapists work hard at the attention to details.
Have you had a bad experience in a salon to prompt this thread?

No bad experience just noticing this more and more I guess...I love going in to salons and picking up a price list or asking some advice regarding a suitable facial or the like and its brilliant when you walk in to a salon and are greeted with a smile and genuine friendly and helpful staff.

I used to work for a big food retailor and there was a lot of emphasis on the shopping experience the customer had whilst in the store.These people make our business a success we should look after them and provide them with as much choice and information as possible whilst being as friendly and helpful as possible.

I think Im realising that when recruiting within this industry just how important it is to take on the 'right' people but at the same time Im sure thats easier said than done when ticking all of the technical boxes against the clock.

xxx think I need to go and have a glass of Baileys lol xxx

I have had technically brilliant stylists who never build clienteles, and fairly ordinary stylists who attract clients like bees to a honeypot. I usually look for "big" personalities and genuinley nice people.

hear hear x:biggrin:

Well i have been trained in the old way around 17yrs ago by 2 amazing stylists. I opened my salon at the beggining of the recession and people thought i was mad, but i know there are very few salons in my area that great with clients service. without bieng cheezy our clients are ALWAYS greeted with a smile and asked how they are coats taken asked to be seated and would they like refreshments?? this is just the beginning, to cut a long story short we sre in out 3rd year and business is going from strength to strength, although finding stylist with the same high standards was hard, but they are there u just have to pluck them out. I cant agree with you enough good old fashion customer?client care is key i wish there was more around. think this is a great thread guys. well done for bringing it up x

Thanks :wink2: its very important and couldnt be more so in this climate...its about being that bit more different than all the other salons and being friendly and attentive is such a powerful tool.

Ive been wanting to start this thread for a while but didnt know how it would be received.

We need to be picky when taking on staff and if this is done our salons will be forever busy!

xx

Great thread !!

I know clients appreciate that my colleague and I are interested in them !!

Half the time I feel they don't come back just for the nails but for the 'banter' !!

A friendly, welcoming atmosphere is a must in any salon, and a good memory is essential for any salon worker!!
It can be hard with a full book of clients to remember who was holidaying where and who was attending a wedding, and whose grandchild had a birthday, but when they return and you ask about how it all went they feel included and a part of something more than just getting their nails done.

I have been in salons where technicians bring their moods into the salon and bring the whole atmosphere down, and it doesn't matter how great they are at nails they do not get the return business that my colleague and I do !!

Plus it makes your day go so much better and quicker when you are upbeat and more interested in your client than in your own problems.

I know what you mean, I can say though that all the salons I go into, granted to run clinics, the staff are always friendly but I know there will be some out there who just want to get people in and out and sell everything possible to raise their till total at the end of the day!

absolutely - the client is the king!

adore them & they will adore you :biggrin:

This has also worked well for me in the past when a loyal client has been moving area and its just not possible for them to travel, they have aproached me with caution and asked if i would write the colour down for the next new hairdresser they will be going to. i have always been more than willing if it makes things a little easier for them. i can be daunting finding someone new as it is. They look shocked at first when i say yes :) its funny. but i have had clients come back to me years later as they left on good terms x

Thanks for all your replies I love hearing everyones views specially on something so important.
I agree it is hard remembering all the names and circumstances and whilst I still dont know all the shops regulars Im starting to get better and sometimes write things on the client cards to remind me...pets names,kids names,weddings,etc etc so it does shock them when you ask....equally it shocks and pleases me when they ask how my kids/dogs/wedding went....its brilliant.

So glad I came in to this industry!

xxx

Thanks for all your replies I love hearing everyones views specially on something so important.
I agree it is hard remembering all the names and circumstances and whilst I still dont know all the shops regulars Im starting to get better and sometimes write things on the client cards to remind me...pets names,kids names,weddings,etc etc so it does shock them when you ask....equally it shocks and pleases me when they ask how my kids/dogs/wedding went....its brilliant.

So glad I came in to this industry!

xxx

TOTALLY agree....at the end of the day, people buy people...

I do my utmost to make my clients feel interesting, worthy and individual. They are not just buying my services, they are buying my time and my care. It's not called Beauty THERAPY for nothing.

I recently had a facial at a new salon. The therapist barely raised a smile on my arrival, blasted through the consultation form at 100 miles an hour without showing any real interest and gave me what I felt was a completely indifferent treatment. Don't get me wrong, technically the facial was good but the customer service was zilch:cry:

It goes without saying that I will never go there again.

My attitude is that Beauty Therapy is all about the client.....lose sight of that and you will lose your clients.

PB
x

when you are self employed and / or sole trader it is YOU that sells YOURSELF. You would do yourself a disservice to yourself to be moody or disinterested, and I rarely go back to a salon for hair or treatments if the person serving me acts as if they are doing ME a favour.

I am not a generally nosey person, I'm not really particularly interested in peoples lives, but for some reason I can remember what we talked about last time I saw someone and bring it up. The client loves it.

I also spend a lot of time talking through a treatment if I sense the client is apprehensive, you can just TELL.

Anyhow, I believe a lot of customer service is personality, a personal touch and a SOH.

its does go both ways though, and I educate my clients on how to be clients, and I don't tolerate negativity. They say like attracts like so maybe thats why my clients are all lovely (lol), and positive people.

Latest posts

Back