What have i done?! Please help me..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jo henderson

Reaction score
Hi ladies, i really really need some help..
I posted on here yesterday saying i was going to do my first tanning party for 6 girls and was nervous ( thankyou for the replies ive just seen by the way !)
So went to meet them and turns out we were doing it in the pub that the hostess runs.. She was having a really quiet night so we closed off the lounge area and put up the tent in there .
The lighting was not great really, typical pub lighting and i have to say i was having trouble seeing where id done . The girls were all lovely so i felt i could be honest and say it was tricky in the light.. I ended up going over them a couple of times as didnt want to miss anywhere so it took forever. 4 of the girls wanted the 12% and 2 the 10% and there faces were a little darker as requested by them. After the tans all the girls loved it and all seemed so pleased, i only did my training 3 weeks ago so not a pro, however since then ALL the family and friends ive done were so pleased with the result. ( however i have ALWAYS done my tans in my conservatory filled with natural daylight.
So today the hostess called to say ALL the girls didnt like there tans as they were streaky and a bit patchy!!!!! :cry:
She was very nice to me so after work i went straight over to see her. When i got there i could not see a problem but then we went outside into daylight and she was right, there were stipes all down her legs.. I was mortified!!
I have promised to go back next week to re tan them all for free and asked them to exfoliate and moisturise lots before i see them next... Sorry was all i could say really..
PLEASE help give me and ideas where ive gone wrong ladies.. I take my tanning seriously and so want to be good at it..
Ps i did make sure the nozzle was positioned right so the spray comes out in the right direction..

Hi ladies, i really really need some help..
I posted on here yesterday saying i was going to do my first tanning party for 6 girls and was nervous ( thankyou for the replies ive just seen by the way !)
So went to meet them and turns out we were doing it in the pub that the hostess runs.. She was having a really quiet night so we closed off the lounge area and put up the tent in there .
The lighting was not great really, typical pub lighting and i have to say i was having trouble seeing where id done . The girls were all lovely so i felt i could be honest and say it was tricky in the light.. I ended up going over them a couple of times as didnt want to miss anywhere so it took forever. 4 of the girls wanted the 12% and 2 the 10% and there faces were a little darker as requested by them. After the tans all the girls loved it and all seemed so pleased, i only did my training 3 weeks ago so not a pro, however since then ALL the family and friends ive done were so pleased with the result. ( however i have ALWAYS done my tans in my conservatory filled with natural daylight.
So today the hostess called to say ALL the girls didnt like there tans as they were streaky and a bit patchy!!!!! :cry:
She was very nice to me so after work i went straight over to see her. When i got there i could not see a problem but then we went outside into daylight and she was right, there were stipes all down her legs.. I was mortified!!
I have promised to go back next week to re tan them all for free and asked them to exfoliate and moisturise lots before i see them next... Sorry was all i could say really..
PLEASE help give me and ideas where ive gone wrong ladies.. I take my tanning seriously and so want to be good at it..
Ps i did make sure the nozzle was positioned right so the spray comes out in the right direction..
I absolutly hate ambient lighting:irked: I have turned up at clients homes and been expected to put a set of nails on with 1 40w bulb on more then one occasion, it was one of the main reasons for me not contiuing to offer this as a mobile service.
At the moment I take a desk light with me for tan parties, with a day light bulb fitted. I bought it from hobby craft a long time ago, it has a sand filled base and a swan neck, but it's not ideal. I've looked at the ones you can clip to the edge of the tent but again I wonder about it throwing up shadows.
I am seriously thinking about a head light. One of those head bands with a light on it that sits on your forhead. Not the most glamorous look, but if it works:eek:
Chin up hun, at least they are giving you the chance to put it right rather then demanding their money back and the lady could see for herself that inside the tan looked fine:hug:

Ah thankyou, she said she was gutted too that the colour came away when showind today as like the guide colour.
She also said that she had a spray tan before in a ladies house with dimish lighting and yet the lady seemed to have no trouble. she said it took the lady 5-10 mins and had no streaks so it couldnt really have been the lighting! Also hubby had a good point, if im to do parties again, they would not generally be day tans therefore would come against lighting in the future.. Im soooo confused and sooooooo disheartened...:cry:

who cares if sally spray tanner down the road spray tans in 5minutes with her hands behind her back?? what everybody else does doesn't mean anything. focus on you and not whateverybody else is doing, we're all different and so are our ways/methods of doing treatments.

the guide colour is just that... a guide for you to see. it sounds like they are dissapointed that they aren't b&q fence colour tbh. did you explain to her that the colour 'washing away' in the shower is just the guide colour and not her tan washing away? x

i did explain about it being the guide colour.. i think she was trying to say if the other lady didt have trouble and streaks in dim lighting then why did i.. Im asking myself this same question too.. I feel now either im just *rap at spray tanning or i cant do evening tans as i only produce a great tan in the daytime! Either that or there is something im doing very wrong that has nothing to do with lighting!!
She said her daughters is lovely all but a stripe down each arm.. Im so embarrassed! x

did you actually see her daughters tan or are you just taking her word for it? x

I didnt get to see it tonight but i do think she was being honest . She even said not to re tan them as didnt want me to be out of pocket.. She said her daughters was lovely all but two stripes ! It was 2 others that said one had a dark patch on her neck and the other girl was patchy.. I do believe her tho. Just wish i knew what i did wrong?! Do you find it ok to tan in artificial light? if so ive obviously LOTS more practise to do before i get clients :cry:

I didnt get to see it tonight but i do think she was being honest . She even said not to re tan them as didnt want me to be out of pocket.. She said her daughters was lovely all but two stripes ! It was 2 others that said one had a dark patch on her neck and the other girl was patchy.. I do believe her tho. Just wish i knew what i did wrong?! Do you find it ok to tan in artificial light? if so ive obviously LOTS more practise to do before i get clients :cry:
Now you stop that RIGHT NOW!!!
You have no idea if they followed your instructions re exfoliation not moisturising the day before or anything and saying the other woman can do it, well woopy do, good for her. 1, you don't know that the lighting and or shadows were the same 2, you only have her word for it that she was happy 3, you said she had to take you out side for you to see the streaks. There for her lighting is bad or you would have seen it.
So, sort your own lighting out, and next time take the time, make them turn slowly when you have finished just in case. I still do this and I've been spraying for a while now. It's part of MY routine. The one I get is, 'oh my last tan lady did 2 coats:rolleyes: Well good for her, I do one and then check I haven't missed anything.
By the time you've been doing this a few months you will find you have a routine and it's the routine that helps you not to miss anything, even when you do have to work half blind:lol:
Chin up hun, see the possitive, she told YOU about it, not everyone and their aunt. Go back next week, and knock em dead:hug:

Im only new to tanning but felt obliged to reply!! Everything you'v said suggests it wasnt your fault.... your new to it so was a tall order for you in the first place!!
Iv only been tanning in my house and friends houses and all have had great lighting, but as a newbie im still struggling with bits here and there!! You really need good lighting - a must!!

For her to compare you against someone who has probably been doing it for years is a bit unfair - i take it she knew you hadnt been doing this long??

Chin up - these things only make us stronger and help us with things in the future!!

ah thanks for the support..
Just hope im not hanging onto the fact that pub lighting is dull and hiding behind this as an excuse! maybe i need to be a day tanner only :rolleyes:

Just hope im not hanging onto the fact that pub lighting is dull and hiding behind this as an excuse! maybe i need to be a day tanner only :rolleyes:
That is insecurity speaking, the little voice inside that says I can't.
Give that voice a slap, most tanning is done in other peeps homes and it's done in the evening, this is a minor hic up, is hubby sporting a tan at the moment, or your next door neighbour? Anyone you can grab and say, do me a favour, I need to check out this light, can I tan you? don't worry if it's not great I'll re do you in day light.
Go get a decent light and prove to youself that you can do this xx

lol this is the UK - half the time the days are as dark as the night thanx to our lovely differing weather system!!!

Put it behind you and move forward!!! :))

Dont let it get you down hun! As a lot of the others have said, se may not have prepped properly..thats a major part in tanning and something you have to take their word for really.
Lighting is a massive factor..i have been in the situation where have a lack of light but position my tent to work with it.
I'm sure you would have explained your prep but i like to email them a copy of it or pop it through the door so its there in writing..if you are sure you covered them completely then i can only assume that they may not have followed instructions.
Don't let it put you off hun..can only get better :)

Kayleigh xx

Lighting can be a nightmare! I have tanned in near dark conditions at times, what I usually do in those situations is to ask them to move to an area where there is good lighting after I have sprayed them just so that I can have a look over them to make sure nowhere has been missed. I mention that the light is not great and I am struggling to see where I have sprayed, that way if an area does get missed they know the reason is their poor lighting!

I do 2 sprays and that is my choice, but I think that 2 sprays gives you a better chance of avoiding this as if you happen to miss it once you will more than likely get it 2nd time! I dont use any more solution, just spray drier and still use around 40ml (was less with my other gun :rolleyes:) so not costing double.

Chin up and move on! :hug:

It was a bit daft to want a spray tan in a dim pub in the first place, but loads of clients have no common sense when it comes to this - maybe in future you could stress the need for good lighting when a client books? I dont know how many times Ive turned up to do eyebrow shapes and can't see a bloody thing because of terrible low wattage bulbs - especially round xmas when some people think its fine to have nothing on but a tiny lamp and all their xmas lights :irked: I sorted that out by buying tweezers with a little light built into it, and I'm going to get a small light for nails.

It feels a pain to need to also buy and provide lighting on top of everything else but if its going to help prevent cases like this then maybe it will be worth it.

And don't listen to what clients have to say about other therapists, you know in a lot of cases they're just saying it to stress the point that they think you should have done better and owe them something. A couple of clients of mine looked at me like I was crazy when I wrapped their nails in foils to soak of their gel nails, because they had never had it done that way before, and I could tell by their faces that they thought I didn't have a clue what I was doing and that I had just invented it myself. And a client who had claimed to have gone to 'beauty college' didnt think I was waxing the 'real' way because she had never seen anyone be waxed with a roller cartridge before!

Latest posts

Back