What is this nail disorder ???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debbies Gellies

Reaction score
0289f58d50c3c4f6ea40da08d6c603e7_28234.jpg

Can anyone tell me what might be wrong with this nail. I have looked on the web and in my nail books but nothing like it anywhere.

At the cuticle the nail is thin and flaking away like a nail does at the free edge with water damage etc, but this has a hard nail elsewhere although the client does have nail onycholysis on some nails and she has skyslope style nail plates.

In the photo the white flakey area at the cuticle was so thin that is was spongey and if i pushed down on it it was like flesh rather than nail although nail was there. It was growing out like it.

Some of her other fingers actually had nail missing at the cuticle in a small section about 3 by 5mm with a yellowish edge layered.

She was a new client today wearing OPI new soak off gel that had grown out quite a bit and this problem was not under the gel it was only on the new nail growth. (gel removed in the photo)

The only medication she is on is Cipramil antidepressant low dose.
No elec filing recently, no other products used. She has been wearing false nails for the last 10 years including L&P. Said she has not noticed this problem before. Age 47

anyone know anything please???

Has she been ill lately--or a serious change in diet? Anemia can cause the softening of the nails to a "flesh like" appearance. Is this on all the nails new growth? That to me says illness. Maybe she should get her iron, sugar and thyroid checked.

You shuld prob send her to the doc's hun , I wouldnt even loke to guess at what it is.

but my guess to the reson you see it there and not all over ? she had infills that wearnt P.R.E.P-ed right ....
(I am just guessing though)

Has she been ill lately--or a serious change in diet? Anemia can cause the softening of the nails to a "flesh like" appearance. Is this on all the nails new growth? That to me says illness. Maybe she should get her iron, sugar and thyroid checked.

I did tell her to go to her Doctor but you cant make someone go.

She has not had a major illness but had been on penicillin for 4 weeks because she had spots on the palms of both hands. she said the doctor said it was impetigo which she and I thought was very odd as impetigo spreads and she did not get it anywhere else (considering you use your hands to touch your face etc) The spots were all gone.

Thanks for your help. I will tell her to go to Doctors again :irked: dont think she will go she is in a very high demand job with no time lol.

I have seen psoriasis that looks similar and also someone with lichen planus had something similar who also has spots on her palms.

Have you tried sending the picture to Doug Schoon on facebook ?????????

Thanks for all the replies, no have not sent to Doug, he is usually too busy and he is a chemist not a doctor but if he looks in he may have an opinion. Thanks anyway. Have text my client again to nudge her about seeing her doctor.
I wish my photo was better, it is in my album so it may show up better there and bigger.

Thanks for all the replies, no have not sent to Doug, he is usually too busy and he is a chemist not a doctor but if he looks in he may have an opinion. Thanks anyway. Have text my client again to nudge her about seeing her doctor.
I wish my photo was better, it is in my album so it may show up better there and bigger.

Chick he may be a chemist but he is also an expert in natrual nails, something that a DR may not be and may be able to give your client apoint in the right direction in regards to what she should be asking the DR about.........................

She really does need to go back to her GP, my guess is that it's connected to the problem she had on her hands, as the area of the nail plate which is now soft may have been developing in the matrix at the time she was having the problems.....as to what the actual diagnosis is/was, only a Dr/dermatologist would be able to give that.....but I would support what Sue said, Doug would probably know as he has been studying the natural nail for years and what he doesn't know about nails isn't worth knowing!!
Do come back and let us know. xx

It would be hard to tell from a pic, it would need samples ,
BUT what catsaremad said I agree with! , Doug is probably better in the no than most doctors as he specializes in nails , and not general medicine,
Was the pic taken straight after soaking off ? If so it is more than likely de-hydration , but I wouldn't treat her till she had been to a doctor if you think it is something more sinister ?
If you loose a client through not treating her until shes been to see the doctor, then so be it but you will keep you professional standards high :)

Thanks girls.

The gel she had on was half way grown out and on the problem nails I gently buffed it off I did not dare soak.
Where the gel had been, the nail was very strong and healthy.

I looked up Lichen Planus and its rash itches and she had spots that did not itch.

I will let you know if I find out anything. Cheers.

Latest posts

Back