What kind of client are you?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
In the past few weeks I've had to deal with some of the rudest clients I've ever dealt with in over 10 years of working for myself. I won't go into the why's and wherefors...but we've all had 'em.

Sadly, I take things rather personally (especially when we've put a lot of thought and effort into something)- but try and bite my tongue as much as I possibly can for the sake of professionalism. Though, I do wish people were a bit more considerate that we're just someone trying to make a living!

However, I did have a bit of a meltdown in our local Staples a few weeks ago- until I thought to myself;

"My god, I'm THAT client...." and quickly apologised.

So, what kind of client are you? Does working for yourself affect the way you deal with other people in business when you're getting a service?

Well, I wouldn't dream of missing an appointment and if, IF, I did I would be mortified and would fully expect to pay for the full cost of my booking and I'd go to great lengths to ensure the person I'd let down knew how sorry I was.
Nor would I mess about chopping and changing dates and times at the drop of a hat.
That said, I like to think that I would act this way regardless of the fact that I work for myself, it's just manners !

I'm a pain in the arse sometimes and a bundle of joy other times :D there's no in between with me :rolleyes: I recently went for lunch with my mum & Aunty and both of them kicked off royally, I nearly died but totally see where I get it from :eek:

The idiot who works in asda on Saturday evening on the only staffed checkout gets my full wrath because he's a twit who's vastly overweight and rather shiny on the hair (eck) he thinks it's hilarious to put my sweet items under his arm pit pretending he's going to pinch them for himself.... After working from 8 am solidly through to 4-6pm with no food & no break, then trudging down to asda after feeding my starving children (who wait for me rather than eating dads cooking) not having time to feed myself before the hubbys telling me there's no food here you need to go asda. :( At this point I'm in no way in the mood to deal with that greasy monster rubbing my sweets under his stinkin armpit :mad: needless to say he knows full well what I think of him and his antics! :rolleyes:

On the other hand... I can be a complete dream, I tip well, I'm polite, helpful, friendly, sweet even :p

It all depends what kind of person I'm dealing with o_O

I think I'm your nightmare client Carl... I hope not! :(

I think I'm just annoying rather than rude.

I'm don't THINK I'm rude. Unless people are rude to me?!

I think I expect more from others than I should because I quite happily go above and beyond for my clients.

I usually tip well and am polite and if someone needed to let me down, pretty forgiving.

I definitely expect better customer service than I did before having my own salon. I get frustrated at how little people seem to care for the company they work for.

I think I'm your nightmare client Carl... I hope not! :(

I think I'm just annoying rather than rude.

I'm don't THINK I'm rude. Unless people are rude to me?!

I think I expect more from others than I should because I quite happily go above and beyond for my clients.

I usually tip well and am polite and if someone needed to let me down, pretty forgiving.

I definitely expect better customer service than I did before having my own salon. I get frustrated at how little people seem to care for the company they work for.

Haha! Yes- it's you!

(joking!)

Haha! Yes- it's you!

(joking!)

I wanted to leave you a review, stating how much of a nuisance I am and how lovely and obliging you've been!
But you've not got a review section!!

I'm sorry you've had rude clients as well as nightmare clients like me!!

I wanted to leave you a review, stating how much of a nuisance I am and how lovely and obliging you've been!
But you've not got a review section!!

I'm sorry you've had rude clients as well as nightmare clients like me!!

Thank you- appreciate that :) I've not got a review/testimonial bit on my page cos I think most people make them up! :) If you want to email something over I can show it off on FB. Had a shocking day (hence this post!) so- that's cheered me up. ta! :)

I think the gist of what get's to me is that I probably care too much (and get a bit haughty)- so when I'm the client, it takes me aback when I see someone (especially someone who's business it is!) not giving a monkeys...that's what annoys me.

I dont know how to word emails/txts so i often come across rude :( i really dont mean to & im aware of it, so i end up re-reading/writing them countless times to make them nicer, sometimes i dont get a chance to & do think 'miserable cow' when i read the original. My excuse is We didnt have email when i was at school lol.....

In the real world I try & be nice, but I am very unforgiving with mistakes. I always say That if I make a mistake I dont get paid, so why should someone working for a shop/office etc not be held accountable? My other halfs sick of hearing it hahaha xx

I dont know how to word emails/txts so i often come across rude :( i really dont mean to & im aware of it, so i end up re-reading/writing them countless times to make them nicer, sometimes i dont get a chance to & do think 'miserable cow' when i read the original. My excuse is We didnt have email when i was at school lol.....

In the real world I try & be nice, but I am very unforgiving with mistakes. I always say That if I make a mistake I dont get paid, so why should someone working for a shop/office etc not be held accountable? My other halfs sick of hearing it hahaha xx

100% agree there (not about YOU being rude!), I mean I agree about the possibility of sounded rude via email. I know for a fact I can appear abrupt, whereas I'm really just trying to be as efficient as possible (as that's what my entire business model is based on).

My client might send three emails a day...but I'm sending over 100! So, I try to keep as professional and as efficient as possible...and some people (especially if they're not from a corporate background) find that a bit off-putting.

Needs must though! :)

I'm a very loyal client and I recommend lots of people.
I'm very appreciative of what people do for me (even though I'm paying) in time poor so I book all my apts months and months in advance and if they need to be changed it can be difficult.

Like I said the other day Carl, you're the best designer guy out there! Thanks xxx

T
I'm a very loyal client and I recommend lots of people.
I'm very appreciative of what people do for me (even though I'm paying) in time poor so I book all my apts months and months in advance and if they need to be changed it can be difficult.

Like I said the other day Carl, you're the best designer guy out there! Thanks xxx

Thank you! I'm not here for an ego-boost though! (he said, absolutely lying through his teeth!)

100% agree there (not about YOU being rude!), I mean I agree about the possibility of sounded rude via email. I know for a fact I can appear abrupt, whereas I'm really just trying to be as efficient as possible (as that's what my entire business model is based on).

My client might send three emails a day...but I'm sending over 100! So, I try to keep as professional and as efficient as possible...and some people (especially if they're not from a corporate background) find that a bit off-putting.

I work in an office as well as my own business. I put smiley faces at the end of almost every email in case people think I'm being moody or abrupt so I know exactly what you mean [emoji23][emoji23]

As a client I'm always on time, book really far in advance (I think that's good maybe not!); try to never cancel last minute, and never complain. Ideal [emoji23]

I work in an office as well as my own business. I put smiley faces at the end of almost every email in case people think I'm being moody or abrupt so I know exactly what you mean [emoji23][emoji23]

As a client I'm always on time, book really far in advance (I think that's good maybe not!); try to never cancel last minute, and never complain. Ideal [emoji23]

Yes! Smiley Faces! I do that all the time now! I had to email the deputy head at my kids school the other day and I was mortified when I read it back and it was a smiley-fest...he must have thought I was a simpleton!

Hahahaha [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] never thought of that hope no one at my work thinks I'm that haha!!!!

I think I'm a good client and will always recommend or leave good reviews when I get it but have high expectations with customer service and it really pees me off when places don't deliver. A new restaurant opened up near me so went with my sister and cousin. Food and cocktails, great, waiter friendly. I was already looking forward to returning with my hubby and thought it great that a new restaurant with a cocktail bar was so close to home. Bill came. It worked out to £45 per head including a £15 tip. The 2 others paid their £45 on card. I gave £60 cash and even made a point of saying can you bring the change back please. 15mins later, no change, no receipt. I caught the eye of one of the waiters and said I was waiting for my change. He then said there was no change as I didn't leave enough money! This then led to a 15 min debate with the manager coming over and arguing with me before they accepted they made a mistake. By now I'm fed up (had half a bottle of wine and a cocktail) and he heard me saying to my sister that I bet they do this all the time. He came and called me rude, I still don't have my change and was made to feel so uncomfortable even though they were at fault. I have never been spoken to like that as a paying customer before and will never go back there now. Telling all my clients too lol, what a shame as up till then I was loving it!

I'm a pain in the arse sometimes and a bundle of joy other times :D there's no in between with me :rolleyes: I recently went for lunch with my mum & Aunty and both of them kicked off royally, I nearly died but totally see where I get it from :eek:

The idiot who works in asda on Saturday evening on the only staffed checkout gets my full wrath because he's a twit who's vastly overweight and rather shiny on the hair (eck) he thinks it's hilarious to put my sweet items under his arm pit pretending he's going to pinch them for himself.... After working from 8 am solidly through to 4-6pm with no food & no break, then trudging down to asda after feeding my starving children (who wait for me rather than eating dads cooking) not having time to feed myself before the hubbys telling me there's no food here you need to go asda. :( At this point I'm in no way in the mood to deal with that greasy monster rubbing my sweets under his stinkin armpit :mad: needless to say he knows full well what I think of him and his antics! :rolleyes:

On the other hand... I can be a complete dream, I tip well, I'm polite, helpful, friendly, sweet even :p

It all depends what kind of person I'm dealing with o_O
Omg Surfgirl. Tell the manager. I would literally lose my mind if a clerk did this.

I'm a bit of a pushover in general [emoji87] so it takes me a lot to get to "client from hell" stage [emoji23] but there's rarely any inbetween with me.

I do expect a LOT, but at the same time I don't expect anything more than I would give in my own role.

I run an online equine venture too, and deal with a lot of newbies so often go above and beyond to help my girls get to where they want to be. I take pride in my clients and believe if you don't feel proud saying "that's my client" there's no point doing what you're doing (especially in artistic fields).

In saying that, I have cracked it before with my stockists (one person mucked up three orders, the last muck up I had to have a order posted THAT weekend, and they were refusing to fix it until they got the other stock - so not only had I ALREADY forked $10.50 for express, I was expected to pay ANOTHER $10.50 to make sure their muck up got there in time to be fixed and sent back, so I didn't have to refund ASWELL), that was probably one of the very few times I have been absolutely livid.

In store if I'm ignored or not at least greeted and I'm not on a mission for a particular item, I'll just walk out [emoji23]

I hate being hard sold to as well, so I won't lie, if I say "not interested" to those people in pop up stalls and they still try it on, I can be quite rude (had a lady selling scrubs literally grab my hand after saying no thanks and was far from a slice of heaven toward her - oops)

I'm super loyal, I used the same hairdresser for 15 years until she retired, found a new one who I used for about 6 years. She broke her elbow whilst drunk one New Year so couldn't work. Being the loyal customer I am I waited 8 months for a haircut until she was better and back at work at which point she told me I would have to pay 40% more for my haircut as it was a restyle rather than a normal cut as it was so long! Sadly she couldn't understand my point of view that it was only long as I'd been waiting for her to come back because I'm loyal and was trying to support another self-employed small business in my area.

She then cancelled my appointment because she was apparently sick, and I've never been back. Found someone else who actually is better so her loss is my gain I suppose.

I quite badly damaged my hand about 8 years ago and had to cancel/postpone several clients whilst the stitches were in and the cuts healed up, I was so appreciative of the clients that waited for me and didn't go elsewhere I gave extras for free and discounts when they came back, I certainly didn't charge them extra because I couldn't work!!

I think I'm polite, probably a bit too polite and come across as creepy LOL

Lol that's me:p:D:rolleyes:

Between messenger and email I must have your head turned Carl!

Im the same!
I'm quite direct in person and apparently it's emphasised tenfold in text! It's not intentional but I just text, email etc as I'd say things. Friends keep asking could I try a bit harder to text nicer [emoji15] I'm think I am nice lol.

Latest posts

Back