What sets you above your competition?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Planky1

Premium Geek
Reaction score
I have been noticing there have been several threads on here recently that seem to show an evident lack of confidence in many of us and our skills as a nail tech, more than usual, so I am interested to know, particularly those who maybe do feel less confident, what you think sets you above your competition? Why would a client come to you as opposed to someone round the corner or up the road. Is it your nature? Your professionalism? Your skills? Your products? Or a combination of everything perhaps?
Are you maybe someone that gives yourself a hard time but are perhaps more confident than you think but find it's too easy to fall back on something like Salon Geek for advice and reassurance, kind of like a security blanket and a "I'll check just to be sure"? What would you do if there was no Salon Geek :)eek: ) :D

I feel there are areas I need to improve on but I also feel that will always be the case, I will always be learning, so I read a lot of posts on here but tend to not post so much, as usually, I get the answer I was looking for by reading all the other posts and I also learn a great deal from them too.
But on the whole, I do feel very confident with my skills. I think someone would come to me as opposed to the woman 2 doors up from me (!!) because I have high standards and take great pride, I offer the best products and nail services I can and feel I have the nature to make people feel at ease and feel comfortable immediately.

What sets you above YOUR competition? Maybe thinking of the positives about yourself will help you feel better about your work and ability?

Im one of those that lacks confidence. But I think that is because I have yet to get some clients!! I think also because at the moment I can only offer Evening and weekends appointments I think that puts people off?

Also my problem is I hate driving, im to scared when it comes to new places so again ,this takes away from my confidence being mobile. If i had a home salon I'd be alot more confident. Especailly with people being in "My territory" rather than me in theirs. (cant do home until we move as have no space!)

Im a complete perfectionist and everyone comments on how perfect my own nails are. I've been noticing recently how badly painted some womens nails are and that makes me feel good about my own quality. I may not be quick, but that shows in my work. (i dont do enhancements). Today a woman in New Look on checkout had enhacements. Dont know what they were but they had tips and were french. I know they were tips becasue you could see the tips on the free edge! It was like a layer on white on top of a layer of clear/natural colour. It wasnt nautural nail thats for sure. Even though I know very little about enhancements, these were rubbish and I dont think they were a DIY job by the way she looked. My first thought was OMG I can do better than that! If I did them, I'd have given her my card for sure lol.

Being honest in some ways I find SG makes me feel less confident. There are so many more experienced techs on here, If I ask a silly question, It makes me feel less confident. I need to stay away! lol
But saying that, I have learnt a hell of alot from here..
xx

Im one of those that lacks confidence. But I think that is because I have yet to get some clients!! I think also because at the moment I can only offer Evening and weekends appointments I think that puts people off?

Also my problem is I hate driving, im to scared when it comes to new places so again ,this takes away from my confidence being mobile. If i had a home salon I'd be alot more confident. Especailly with people being in "My territory" rather than me in theirs. (cant do home until we move as have no space!)

Im a complete perfectionist and everyone comments on how perfect my own nails are. I've been noticing recently how badly painted some womens nails are and that makes me feel good about my own quality. I may not be quick, but that shows in my work. (i dont do enhancements). Today a woman in New Look on checkout had enhacements. Dont know what they were but they had tips and were french. I know they were tips becasue you could see the tips on the free edge! It was like a layer on white on top of a layer of clear/natural colour. It wasnt nautural nail thats for sure. Even though I know very little about enhancements, these were rubbish and I dont think they were a DIY job by the way she looked. My first thought was OMG I can do better than that! If I did them, I'd have given her my card for sure lol.

Being honest in some ways I find SG makes me feel less confident. There are so many more experienced techs on here, If I ask a silly question, It makes me feel less confident. I need to stay away! lol
xx

You don't need to stay away otherwise your confidence will stay where it is!

You need to ask the questions you need to know the answers to - if you haven't found them by searching first.

The more you are on here the more you will learn and the more your confidence will grow.

Really, its true :hug:

Jacqui xx

Funny you should ask this...

When ever I have a new client I always ask 'how did you hear about me'.

This morning my customer said I'm the only mobile in my area with a website. Also the pictures on there she said look real with no tweaking. So I would say that's a big plus for me.

I hope as well when people meet my they feel at ease and find me friendly. I always thank them for having me in their home.

My work? I'm improving all the time and love what I do so hope that shows. I'm not going to say its because I'm turning out the best nails in my area, one day yes :) but for now its a mix of the above for me.

Vicki x

xx

Aww Caz :hug:
I feel ill when going to new client but push through it. I too only do evening and weekend and because of this I'm still slow but I make customers aware of the time and all are fine.
I've not listed this on my previous post as I don't want to make it into a weakness it's a learning curve.
I do know what you mean about some nails you see. Eek.
Jacquelineanna has a lovey tree that us little birds sit in while we are getting our flight feathers. Come and visit there's always room for more :)
Vicki x

Thanks for replying ladies :) Caz, would you not give her a card anyway? This is an area I lack confidence in too but for the first time last week I had the courage to give out a card to someone who commented on my nails. I was in a clothes shop and she remarked on my Rockstar nail and said how gorgeous it was. I said thank you and that it was what I did for a living (that alone felt weird to say that as I've been a stay at home mum for so long!!) and we started talking so I plucked up the courage and gave her a card. She might not call but you never know and I felt good for doing it after! I have had people comment on my nails loads but I usually say thank you and leave it at that. It's so strange, in my own domain and on the phone I'm super confident and can handle anything thrown at me and don't get in a fluster but caught off guard, in public, I am painfully shy. Think I should have been a Gemini because there's definitely 2 sides to me Lol!!
I have just had someone call to book in for Shellac on Thursday night, this is only my 2nd ever client and I thought I'd feel nervous but I was really confident on the phone and came off feeling really excited! I know I can do Shellac well, so can't wait to do it on someone else other than myself and my friends!! :) Having a phone call at long last, after loads of hard work of trying to get my name "out there" has just boosted my confidence even more. Chuffed to bits!

You don't need to stay away otherwise your confidence will stay where it is!

You need to ask the questions you need to know the answers to - if you haven't found them by searching first.

The more you are on here the more you will learn and the more your confidence will grow.

Really, its true :hug:

Jacqui xx
I couldn't agree more Jacquelineanna. Always wise words.
Great thread. I have picked up so many great tips on here. I've learned when I've been doing things wrong. I have also felt an extra confidence boost every now and again too.
I think maybe, possibly, just about I could survive without SG. But it would be like taking candy from a baby for a bit.
I think knowing that I always but 100% effort into everything I do. Be it nails or beauty will set me apart from some other techs/therapists.
My mantra is always "treat people how you would be expected to be treated yourself" Your professionlism will always stand you in good stead and will always set you apart from some. With professionlism comes high standards....clients notice that and will always give you an advantage in the reputation stakes. Nice one girls Wend x

I couldn't agree more Jacquelineanna. Always wise words.
Great thread. I have picked up so many great tips on here. I've learned when I've been doing things wrong. I have also felt an extra confidence boost every now and again too.
I think maybe, possibly, just about I could survive without SG. But it would be like taking candy from a baby for a bit.
I think knowing that I always but 100% effort into everything I do. Be it nails or beauty will set me apart from some other techs/therapists.
My mantra is always "treat people how you would be expected to be treated yourself" Your professionlism will always stand you in good stead and will always set you apart from some. With professionlism comes high standards....clients notice that and will always give you an advantage in the reputation stakes. Nice one girls Wend x

Great reply, thanks Wendy!

Great thread Claire, you always post thought provoking threads honey!

OK for me I guess what sets me apart is the way i present my business and also my own personality... hang on i'm not being big headed.... i'll explain ;) Though I'm not the most confident person there is, I do a very good job of hiding it! Recently i had my launch day and my lovely Mum came down as my hand model and drinks maker bless her. After it was all over Mum commented on how well i interact with people, speak confidently to them and that I also make them feel at ease. I confessed that it helps ten fold that i love my products and they are something worth getting excited and talking about, but i actually felt quite nervous inside. she said it never showed.

Also my attention to detail, not just with the treatment itself, is something people have commented on. And how excited I get about the products. I'm have been diagnosed with OCD and whilst for me sometimes it can be a nightmare in my personal life, the positive aspect of it where my work is concerned, is that I make sure i know everything i possibly can about a system, company etc etc and continue to learn..... my internet bill is testament to the fact!!! I think it's such a shame and waste when people have all the information out there only to not use it!

SG for me has been a fantastic source of information and guidance. I'm not the busiest at the moment, i'm still continuing to build my client base, but every time i get a little wobble and wonder what the hell i am doing, think i'm totally rubbish at nails and should i go and find myself a full time paying job i will never ever feel as passionate about, i come on here and become inspired all over again.

"Being honest in some ways I find SG makes me feel less confident. There are so many more experienced techs on here, If I ask a silly question, It makes me feel less confident. I need to stay away! lol
But saying that, I have learnt a hell of alot from here.."-

- keep posting on here Caz but also don't forget you can also email or ring your trainer or distributor. i emailed Sweet Squared not long ago about a new client, i did post on here but needed a quicker answer so i contacted the lovely ladies at S2 and they helped me so much, not only on how to deal with the treatment but also the way in which their email was written, without using so many words, gave me the clear message..... YOU CAN DO IT..... and i did and she became a regular of mine!

Once again great thread Claire and you've got me thinking more too!

love n hugs xxx

Last edited:
Thanks for replying ladies :) Caz, would you not give her a card anyway? This is an area I lack confidence in too but for the first time last week I had the courage to give out a card to someone who commented on my nails. I was in a clothes shop and she remarked on my Rockstar nail and said how gorgeous it was. I said thank you and that it was what I did for a living (that alone felt weird to say that as I've been a stay at home mum for so long!!) and we started talking so I plucked up the courage and gave her a card. She might not call but you never know and I felt good for doing it after! I have had people comment on my nails loads but I usually say thank you and leave it at that. It's so strange, in my own domain and on the phone I'm super confident and can handle anything thrown at me and don't get in a fluster but caught off guard, in public, I am painfully shy. Think I should have been a Gemini because there's definitely 2 sides to me Lol!!
I have just had someone call to book in for Shellac on Thursday night, this is only my 2nd ever client and I thought I'd feel nervous but I was really confident on the phone and came off feeling really excited! I know I can do Shellac well, so can't wait to do it on someone else other than myself and my friends!! :) Having a phone call at long last, after loads of hard work of trying to get my name "out there" has just boosted my confidence even more. Chuffed to bits!

I too have this problem so many people comment on my own nails when out and about and I always just say "thank you" and leave it at that instead of saying I am a mobile nail tech here is my card :mad: maybe one day I will get the courage to do this. I haven't been qualified for long but like to think my passion for what I do will set my against the competition. I love everything to do with nails and finally after many jobs I feel I have found my calling. Love salon geek as when ever feeling low as my nails aren't perfect yet my confidence is always bulit up reading threads as I see other people feel this way but with practice, practice, practice one day they will be perfect!

My new clients tend to come from either word of mouth or from my website. I think my website is a big plus for me, as in my immediate area, there are only two beauty websites and we are quite different.

I think that the thing that sets me apart from my competition is that my salon has a very relaxed, comfortable atmosphere and my clients feel they can and do talk about anything and everything because they feel quite at ease. Clients often comment on how lovely and comfortable it is to visit us, whether they are coming to me or the hairdressers.

It's the little things too, like putting their milk in our fridge while they're waiting, knowing their names and being genuinely interested in talking to them.

I and the hairdressers use good quality products and like to think that we give good results too, but i really feel it's the atmosphere that makes us stand out.

I'd like to add that as a sole trader (renting a beauty room) i love salon geek. It's so nice not to feel alone....although family and friends will listen and try and help, their not in the industry and sometimes have no clue what i'm going on about haha. Not to mention the chit chat threads that make me literally LOL xx

Great thread Claire, you always post thought provoking threads honey!

OK for me I guess what sets me apart is the way i present my business and also my own personality... hang on i'm not being big headed.... i'll explain ;) Though I'm not the most confident person there is, I do a very good job of hiding it! Recently i had my launch day and my lovely Mum came down as my hand model and drinks maker bless her. After it was all over Mum commented on how well i interact with people, speak confidently to them and that I also make them feel at ease. I confessed that it helps ten fold that i love my products and they are something worth getting excited and talking about, but i actually felt quite nervous inside. she said it never showed.

Also my attention to detail, not just with the treatment itself, is something people have commented on. And how excited I get about the products. I'm have been diagnosed with OCD and whilst for me sometimes it can be a nightmare in my personal life, the positive aspect of it where my work is concerned, is that I make sure i know everything i possibly can about a system, company etc etc and continue to learn..... my internet bill is testament to the fact!!! I think it's such a shame and waste when people have all the information out there only to not use it!

SG for me has been a fantastic source of information and guidance. I'm not the busiest at the moment, i'm still continuing to build my client base, but every time i get a little wobble and wonder what the hell i am doing, think i'm totally rubbish at nails and should i go and find myself a full time paying job i will never ever feel as passionate about, i come on here and become inspired all over again.

"Being honest in some ways I find SG makes me feel less confident. There are so many more experienced techs on here, If I ask a silly question, It makes me feel less confident. I need to stay away! lol
But saying that, I have learnt a hell of alot from here.."-

- keep posting on here Caz but also don't forget you can also email or ring your trainer or distributor. i emailed Sweet Squared not long ago about a new client, i did post on here but needed a quicker answer so i contacted the lovely ladies at S2 and they helped me so much, not only on how to deal with the treatment but also the way in which their email was written, without using so many words, gave me the clear message..... YOU CAN DO IT..... and i did and she became a regular of mine!

Once again great thread Claire and you've got me thinking more too!

love n hugs xxx

Thanks for replying and great reply. I have seen how meticulous you have been with everything and I think it can only stand you in good stead for your business and glad you've been able to put it to such good use! :) And I think a little confidence boost now and again always pushes us to do better and feel better about what we do, especially when it comes from people usually unlikely to comment, i.e. not biased friends or family, which was why I was particularly intrigued to know whether some of us use Geek as more of a security blanket rather than using it to learn from if you see what I mean?

I too have this problem so many people comment on my own nails when out and about and I always just say "thank you" and leave it at that instead of saying I am a mobile nail tech here is my card :mad: maybe one day I will get the courage to do this. I haven't been qualified for long but like to think my passion for what I do will set my against the competition. I love everything to do with nails and finally after many jobs I feel I have found my calling. Love salon geek as when ever feeling low as my nails aren't perfect yet my confidence is always bulit up reading threads as I see other people feel this way but with practice, practice, practice one day they will be perfect!

I challenge you to giving someone your card this week. It made me feel good and now I think I'll feel less awkward about doing it again. Go on, give it a try :wink2:

My new clients tend to come from either word of mouth or from my website. I think my website is a big plus for me, as in my immediate area, there are only two beauty websites and we are quite different.

I think that the thing that sets me apart from my competition is that my salon has a very relaxed, comfortable atmosphere and my clients feel they can and do talk about anything and everything because they feel quite at ease. Clients often comment on how lovely and comfortable it is to visit us, whether they are coming to me or the hairdressers.

It's the little things too, like putting their milk in our fridge while they're waiting, knowing their names and being genuinely interested in talking to them.

I and the hairdressers use good quality products and like to think that we give good results too, but i really feel it's the atmosphere that makes us stand out.

I'd like to add that as a sole trader (renting a beauty room) i love salon geek. It's so nice not to feel alone....although family and friends will listen and try and help, their not in the industry and sometimes have no clue what i'm going on about haha. Not to mention the chit chat threads that make me literally LOL xx

I think my website has done me some favours too, I have had such compliments about it and 2 people now have come to me because of it (I'm new btw so hopefully more than 2 will come from it in the future Lol!) so yes, I would agree on that point, a good website is definitely important I think as so many people now do everything via the internet and search for everything they want or need.

And I love Geek for the community feel too, it helps a lot when you are someone by yourself to read and chat about topics that can help you to learn and move forward.

Thank you for replying all of you so far, it's been great to hear your views :) xx

Next person to comment on my nails is getting a card....its what i got them made up to do i am not going to get business from my cards staying in my purse :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I am overly confident sometimes - even if I am doing something that is slightly above my level lol

I think what sets me aside is my vision for that little something different and my easy going nature. I am not your "typical" industry sterotype that many people seem to have still. I never wear make up, rarely have my hair done aside from a pony tail, live in jeans and comfy jumpers. I do make an effort for my clients mind but I always be sure to be true to myself and prove to people yuo don't have to be "vain" or anything to take care of your nails :D xxx

Next person to comment on my nails is getting a card....its what i got them made up to do i am not going to get business from my cards staying in my purse :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

go for it girl!!
Im the same. Got cards to hand out, and still have the same number of them in my handbag too. :lol:

That's the spirit ladies!! Get those cards out!! :wink2:

Latest posts

Back