What to do if a client has tons of ingrown hairs?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarfield

Reaction score
At college we were taught to 'free' an ingrown hair that was growing just under the top layer of skin, with a sterile needle. But then to not remove that hair, because it will cause the hair to ingrow again as it will be growing back as the skin is healing and will get trapped again.

But i can't imagine a client being happy to have stray hairs poking out after a wax. So should i just remove them, even though this may cause them to ingrow again?

And also... if a client has a ton of ingrowns, i'm really worried about not having time to deal with them all, especially if they have loads on the legs and i have to do a whole full leg wax. We only get 40 mins!

So how are you supposed to deal with tons on ingrowns if you're on a time limit? If they're not freed from under the skin, they look like normal hairs, so it'd look like i missed them.

hey hun I'll reply to this post as i have been in this position. I have a now regular happy client who came to me a few months ago, lost all faith in waxing and had tons of ingrown hairs in bikini legs and underarms so what I did was took her right back to basics with all aspects of waxing. So basically with homecare, the lot, explained to her the importance of exfoliating areas with exfoliating product on a regular basis to prevent ingrown hairs and applying a moisturising product everyday and the importance of drinking water and effects dehydration has on skin ie dry skin and importance of regular waxing and non use of temporary hair removal methods in between wax treatments as they could effect growth cycle of hair and condition of the skin.

She was amazed by this information hadn't been given it at previous salon which shocked me as this is absolute basics of waxing at first session. I had a quick scan over and only freed the ingrown hairs which werent infected and basically left them in follicle.

I explained to her why, to prevent infection in follicle and it becoming ingrown again and that it would be fine to remove at next session if there are a few ingrown hairs with infection refer them to doctor first as they may need antibiotics at his point if there are loads of ingrown hairs free the ones which can be explain to her all the above advice and inform her in future they should improve if advice is followed.

My client is absolutely elated at the results of just basic home care has given her and also the fact that i have introduced her to hot wax which has definitely improved ingrown hairs also just explain to client the importance of aftercare ie no skin care products baths sunbeds etc for 24hours afterwards to ensure pores are properly closed hope this helps:biggrin: xx

Last edited by a moderator:
I get every ingrown hair out because that's what my clients want and besides that, I see it as a perk of my job:D

Educate them about aftercare. Exfoliate and moisturise.

I see it as a perk of my job:D
hehe me too, I love getting the ingrowns out!

But yes I get lots of ingrowns too and regular exfoliation and moisturising afterwards has really helped.

Latest posts

Back