What to do with these toenails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah1992

Reaction score
I have a client who has been told by the doctor she has a severe toenail fungal infection, the nail has like built up to a height of about 1cm so its hard for her to find comfortable shoes. She said she had an accident years ago on holidays where she banged her toe & the nail came off but it grew back the same as the other one.

She said her dctor (who doesnt have a great reputation around my town!) prescribed her lamasil for about 6 months, now I have heard myself that that stuff is strong & can do internal damage not to mention side effects but the doctor said a removal wont do anything for it.

Just wondering has anyone had a similar situation & what helped it? As I have seen it i really dont think a course of tablets will help a healthy nail grow in, but Im not a doctor so I dont want to say anything!

Is the nail ridgy like that thick corrugated cardboard?

First of all, you cannot help at all in this situation and shouldn't go near toes like these ones you describe. .. Only a podiatrist can help; she needs to see a podiatrist.

Lamasil is effective and long-term use can indeed damage internal organs and unfortunately a fungal infection of this magnitude takes a LONG time to be eradicated so its a bit of a viscous circle. A doctor will seldom prescribe it for longer than 6 months.

Of course an internal medicine can affect how the nails grow just as anything you Ingest will affect your health. Sounds like the doctor did a good job and wasn't useless at all.

Your client may not be in the best of health herself to have something that is as wide spread as this sounds. And again the dr. Was correct that removal wouldn't help unless she had ALL her toenails removed permanently. She also needs to see about any underlying health issues but that is not for you as a lay person to suggest.

Last edited:
May be worth asking if doctor has tested the nail for fungus infection? My husband has a damaged toenail that is thick (and quite ugly) but it is not fungal and it's been like it for 20 years. As suggested, a chiropodist/podiatrist would be the best place to get expert help.

Thank you all for your answers :) I dont do her toes I do her hands but she was just asking me about it, I know I cant diagnose anything but was interested to see how something like this would be treated, thanks again :)

I had a hockey accident when I was 14 and my big toenail was hideous after it. I searched online ( wasn't fungal, tests at the docs ) and used Vicks vaporub of all things!! Filled right down , length and thickness and rubbed vaporub in every night for 4 months .. Toenail nearly pretty again lol x

See post number 1 ... the doctor has diagnosed a Fungal infection ... ALL 10 toenails do not become 1cm thick without the layers being infested with microbial growth!

Did she say it was all 10 nails?

Latest posts

Back