What would you do in this situation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are strict rules in the UK about advertising wording - I don't think they have the same kind of thing in the US.

Trading Standards would make a decision on what the consumer would assume the description to mean. It doens't have to be deliberately misleading.

In the U.S. things are different. There has to be an intentional attempt to mislead. I assumed things were the same over your way. I think either way to avoid further hassle, it would probably be best to eliminate Scrubfresh from the description. It seems to be the bane of the issue.

I still feel that this client is not entitled to anything additional...not even an apology...and most certainly no discount on subsequent services. Why would you want to even see her again as a client? I am not a subscriber to the theory that the client is always right. This case is proof positive of that.

She was told EXACTLY what her service would entail. There was nothing misleading in that. She chose to go ahead with her service as stated and was apparently happy enough that she paid for it. But now after stewing about it, she wants her money back?

Probably because she saw an ad that undercut your prices.

As far as trading standards are concerned: she did scrub fresh the nail, I don't see how they could argue differently.

The issue is more it seems what the client deems to be a pedicure, and let's face it, to a degree we all have artistic licence within reason to structure our own treatment. For example a classic polish pedi for me consists of soak, file, cuticle work, moisture pack of cuticle eraser and solar and a foot massage, then polish application- I call this a beautifying pedicure when I describe it to clients- there's no hard skin removal, masks or exfoliation and I've never had a complaint for charging £18 + £2 for french- this takes about 45 mins and I explain to clients if they have a particular problem with hard skin they can upgarde to what I call a pedicure extra which includes all the above with the addition of cnd sea serum callus remover and foot file along with a thorough foot and leg massage- I price that at £23 + £2 french. Guess which one they go for mostly?! I'm yet to buy in the spapedicure- certainly with the winter months now approaching, but what i offer so far my clients are happy with and never feel like theyve not had a full and proper service.

As said I cant see the issue with this client and I certainly wouldnt offer something as good will, when in fact you've done exactly what it says on the tin.

Last edited:
A shellac pedicure is literally cuticle wrk and shellac applied 2 the nails... They have 2 pay extra for more font under cut urself try maybe 2 call it shellac file and paint and then leave the pedicure desperate and maybe say add shellac to pedicure for €15 ( just an example)

Ive made confusion, ive just noticed i said i had scrubfresh on my website. i dont! i apolagize! i say what i perform on it,
When i did my consultation with me we went through all the steps and she was happy and thats when she queried it when i had started and again she was happy for me to go ahead.
I do also state on my website Luxury mani/pedi is available upon request.
I put it on my site as a Manicure and a Luxury Manicure. which i also do for a normal mani and lux mani.
Am i advertising everything wrong?
Again ive never had any queries before

Ive made confusion, ive just noticed i said i had scrubfresh on my website. i dont! i apolagize! i say what i perform on it,
When i did my consultation with me we went through all the steps and she was happy and thats when she queried it when i had started and again she was happy for me to go ahead.
I do also state on my website Luxury mani/pedi is available upon request.
I put it on my site as a Manicure and a Luxury Manicure. which i also do for a normal mani and lux mani.
Am i advertising everything wrong?
Again ive never had any queries before

I've been thinking about your predicament quite a bit today and actually after reading this post, I'm going to backtrack on what I said earlier. She deserves NOTHING from you, no discount, def no refund. It sounds absolutely crystal clear what you get and that the luxury pedi is available on request..... tell her to go suck her feet xx

I really wouldn't worry about it at all, some clients push their luck.
If she has the balls to call back again, explain that no one has ever approached you about this before and that if she would like a pedicure she is more that welcome to book in and pay full price, if she gets arsy then tell her that you pay for what you get and if she can find any where that does a pedicure and shellac for the price u charged then she should go there. At the end of the day u explained this to her and got client consent b4 she left. U don't go into tesco and buy ham eat it all then go back the next day and say u thought it was supposed to b a gammon joint and demand a refund! She's takin the mickey out of u, stand yr ground she's clearly not the kind of clientele u are looking for and u need to set yr sights high and u will attract a higher standard of client.

This is the reason why i was very careful how i worded my pricelist for Gelish. I put Gelish Fingers or toes £xxx and specifically state underneath if they want extra foot work i.e soak, hardskin removal etc then its £xx extra.
You are neither performing a normal 'manicure or pedicure' so i state cuticle work and Gelish application.
I think even though you explained what you was doing and she went ahead and paid she was too embarrassed to say she didnt just want Shellac thats why she waited till after and emailed as this is the easy option. Personally i wouldn't dare do that i'd be more embarrased, but maybe you could just ask her to come back as a one off and do a quick soak, scrub and massage just for the misunderstanding and misinterpretation as you dont offer refunds and change your wording so she understands if theres a next time its extra x

I had a client in yesterday for a shellac pedicure.
When she came she said how long will I be so I said about half an hour 40 mins, she said oh do I not get all the foot scrub and everything?
So I said it will be extra so she just went oh right!

So I carried on she was happy, paid etc.

I received a email this morning asking for a refund because I haven't done her a luxury pedicure and have falsed advertised it.

Now I only ever do a normal pedicure for shellac ie cuticle work, file, scrubfresh and shellac application and I've never had anyone query it before.

How do I approach this situation?

The words above that I have put in bold is not what is classed as pedicure, it is classed as the prep work we do for Shellac/Gel polish application.
A pedicure consists of what has already been stated in the post where a member put the Wiki info.

So really in my opinion this client is sort of right but in saying that, if you had already explained pre service, what the price includes, then this is when the client should speak up if she feels she was coming in for a proper pedi.

I agree with the others, there is no need to have scrubfresh in your description, it's not really much different to saying, use lint free wipes.....it's just something we use in our prep step but not something that needs to be said as such.

I think the best way to fix this for the future is to change your wording and offer 2 separate services, 1 as a simple Shellac Toes and 2 as a Shellac pedi (luxury pedi) and make sure you put a description of each service and the differences are clear.

Do not refund this client, you have given her the service she paid for and the service that you have on your price list, it's as simple as this.
Yes, maybe there was confusion on the clients part but if your price and description list is clear, then she knew what she was getting, if she didn't like it she should have walked out before the service started.
Maybe offer her a slight discount on a Shellac pedi with in the next x days and take out the cost for the Shellac as you will not have to reapply it and then knock a small amount off of the pedi price so she thinks she's getting a good deal.

She might not be a good repeat customer but having an ex customer that left unhappy can and will contribute to the downfall of your business as the experts reckon that if someone has a bad experience somewhere, they will tell 10 people V's if they have a good one somewhere, they will only tell 2 (on average).

Good luck:)

Last edited:
I emailed her back saying that when i asked if she wanted the luxury pedicure she said no if really she wanted one, i also said if she would like to come back i would offer her a luxury pedicure for £xx.xx

I got a reply back saying,
alldo u did a lovely job of my toes i wouldnt feel comfortable comin back after causin trouble and i said no so i could have it cheaper than £30!

I was absolutley mortified when i received this email back. i havent even bothered to reply.
confused!

I emailed her back saying that when i asked if she wanted the luxury pedicure she said no if really she wanted one, i also said if she would like to come back i would offer her a luxury pedicure for £xx.xx

alldo u did a lovely job of my toes i wouldnt feel comfortable comin back after causin trouble and i said no so i could have it cheaper than £30!

I was absolutley mortified when i received this email back. i havent even bothered to reply.
confused!

You're obviously gonna have to put this one down to experience and just remember in future to clearly clarify what is actually offered in the treatment so there is no miscommunication. I personally would have offered her a free pedicure as a gesture of goodwill but its too late now so I think you'll just have to move on.

There's your answer right there. We call this type a CAB. Cheat A** B*tch.

don't bother replying. you offered , she declined. her loss.
write it down to experience

I've been thinking about your predicament quite a bit today and actually after reading this post, I'm going to backtrack on what I said earlier. She deserves NOTHING from you, no discount, def no refund. It sounds absolutely crystal clear what you get and that the luxury pedi is available on request..... tell her to go suck her feet xx
I agree. The more I think about it, the more I think I wouldn't offer her a goodwill gesture like I said! haha.

You told her clearly and in person what was involved and she agreed for you to go ahead and paid. So no don't refund her.

EDIT: Sorry just seen her response. That says it all really!

Can't understand how people are saying she got what she was offered, she was offered a pedicure and DID NOT receive a pedicure, just the prep work for Shellac?

Sorry if I've misread anything... :)

Can't understand how people are saying she got what she was offered, she was offered a pedicure and DID NOT receive a pedicure, just the prep work for Shellac?

Sorry if I've misread anything... :)

At a point before treatment the OP was asked by the client and clarified that the treatment did not include a foot scrub and was just a shellac application. The client decided to go ahead anyway.

I think it really differs on your point of view as to whether you think the client is trying it on or just generally a bit embarassed/miffed by the whole situation. It is not uncommon for British people to not want to cause a fuss and then complain after the fact! Not everyone is upfront, just different personalty types or cultural differences. In times such as these people are looking for good value for money, I'm sure many geeks on here would put themselves in that category. No need to be mean or resort to name calling. I would rather be a CAB than simply a B.

Misunderstandings do happen and it's how you deal with them that matters. Geeks should remember that the general public can read this forum - including actual or potential clients. Love and Respect!

Wow! £30 for Shellac toes in the Manchester area? No wonder she's miffed. I charge £25 and they get the foot file, exfoliation and massage included. Give her my number.

Wow! £30 for Shellac toes in the Manchester area? No wonder she's miffed. I charge £25 and they get the foot file, exfoliation and massage included. Give her my number.
Lol :)

A pedicure is whatever the individual therapist or salon says it is.

Who is anyone else to say what it should entail.

In my own experience all clients ask for a pedicure when booking in for their feet/toes regardless of what service they require.

To the average client the word pedicure is like the word hoover - it covers every type of service regarding feet and it covers every make of vacuum cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back