What would you have done?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBIC

Reaction score
Hi need some more advice!

I had a client Tuesday last week who had Shellac and half leg wax.

Well I got a text Saturday morning to say that the Shellac was wearing and that it was streaky (she had iced cappucino but I know what these pealised colours can be like so was very careful with my streaks!). I texted her back to say that I would re-do for her and she said she'd get back to me. I get a text Sunday at nearly 9pm saying she can do Monday morning or Tuesday afternoon! Well I couldn't do either and texted her back to tell her that. I then get a text Tuesday afternoon saying that while her husband was away her account was being fraudulently used and put on hold and the cheque might bounce! Well when I checked that evening it had! I really questioned whether this had happened to the account and thought I don't want to have to go back and re-do her nails so said in a text my address and to drop the wax money off! Well obviously as soon as I pressed send I though "what are you doing"! Hubbie did tell me I reacted too quickly!!

Well eventually this evening she drops the money in the door in an envelope all in pound coins (I know I know money is money). I just feel I want to have the last word and text her just stating that I should of checked the nails and I'll have to take her word for it!

What would you do or would have done differently? Bearing in mind from my side that it is the school holidays and it is impossible enough getting then and work sorted without going to check up on her nails.

Oh yes she was also banging on about her daughter being a beauty teacher as soon as I got there and that her daughter paints her nails and she ruins them straight away so I guess I should have mentioned that in my text back.

Thanks for reading, I know it was a long one!

What would I have done? Probably the same as you. It's horrible having that Doh! Moment. But she did pay for the leg wax.
For the future?
No more cheques, they are being fazed out by the banks, so you can justify it by saying your bank won't accept them any more. Cash only.
Where this lady is concerned, well my gut instinct is to say, I would be too busy to fit her in, ever.
Here's the thing, if your Shellac is going to be streaky you'll see it straight away. Once it's gone into the UV light, that's it, it's fixed. It's not a polish it's more then a polish. So what ever was going on if they were fine when you left, I suspect client abuse.
Last point unlike polish that just needs rolling between our hands to keep it mixed. Shellac needs a really good shake. Fingernail fixer suggests buying a mini paint mixer, you clamp the bottle of Shellac to it, turn it on, it vibrates and you give it 20 seconds then switch of. Well after seeing that, because I don't have one I've taken to shaking all my Shellac bottles every day.
No more streaks.
hth xx

Couldn't agree more! Most importantly, stop accepting cheques.

Burns my head out when clients have a friend/daughter/sister who does beauty therapy. Why not go to them?! Urgh!

Sounds to me like she made up the entire story to get out of paying. She knew she was going to bounce that check, so she said they were streaky so you'd feel bad and wouldn't ask her to pay for everything after her check bounced. See what I mean?

I only accepted checks while I was waiting for my debit machine, and only rebooked those clients once their checks were cleared. I won't accept them anymore, but there is a hairstylist downstairs who does because all her clients are cute little old ladies :D they aren't exactly your con type.

You definitely had no way to know that she would bounce her check, so don't be hard on yourself. It's all lessons learned. :D

Burns my head out when clients have a friend/daughter/sister who does beauty therapy. Why not go to them?! Urgh!
Exactly !!!

What would I have done? Probably the same as you. It's horrible having that Doh! Moment. But she did pay for the leg wax.
For the future?
No more cheques, they are being fazed out by the banks, so you can justify it by saying your bank won't accept them any more. Cash only.
Where this lady is concerned, well my gut instinct is to say, I would be too busy to fit her in, ever.
Here's the thing, if your Shellac is going to be streaky you'll see it straight away. Once it's gone into the UV light, that's it, it's fixed. It's not a polish it's more then a polish. So what ever was going on if they were fine when you left, I suspect client abuse.
Last point unlike polish that just needs rolling between our hands to keep it mixed. Shellac needs a really good shake. Fingernail fixer suggests buying a mini paint mixer, you clamp the bottle of Shellac to it, turn it on, it vibrates and you give it 20 seconds then switch of. Well after seeing that, because I don't have one I've taken to shaking all my Shellac bottles every day.
No more streaks.
hth xx

Thanks Susie H

Yes you are right about the cheques. Think they are such a hassle anyhow especially when you work mobile and have already driven to somebody's house and then have to go find a parking space and pay a cheque in!
Yes the nails were fine when I left and I don't have problems with streaks even with pearlised colours! Use that colour on clients all the time and noone else has any complaints!
Yes do the whole mental shaking thing with the polishes but will take your advice and shake daily.

Because sometimes they don't have the heart to tell their friend/daughter/sister they aren't very good. seriously. that's happened before lol

I know I wish she had stuck to going to her and not wasted time out of my life!

Sounds to me like she made up the entire story to get out of paying. She knew she was going to bounce that check, so she said they were streaky so you'd feel bad and wouldn't ask her to pay for everything after her check bounced. See what I mean?

I only accepted checks while I was waiting for my debit machine, and only rebooked those clients once their checks were cleared. I won't accept them anymore, but there is a hairstylist downstairs who does because all her clients are cute little old ladies :D they aren't exactly your con type.

You definitely had no way to know that she would bounce her check, so don't be hard on yourself. It's all lessons learned. :D

Yes will defo be putting my foot down on the cheque front now, never had a problem in 15 months so is annoying that one person ruins it for everybody now!

Because sometimes they don't have the heart to tell their friend/daughter/sister they aren't very good. seriously. that's happened before lol

Well actually funny you should say that, I am going to sound like a cow now! I asked somebody I know if she had the daugther at college and what was she like, this was before all the cheque business happened and just wondered as was thinking of going to her for a facial. She said she wasn't all that as there were two teachers and she was the one that wasn't great cause she wanted to be everybody's friend therefore had no control and the teaching wasn't as good and they learnt more with the other one because she was strict and wasn't wishy washy.

Well actually funny you should say that, I am going to sound like a cow now! I asked somebody I know if she had the daugther at college and what was she like, this was before all the cheque business happened and just wondered as was thinking of going to her for a facial. She said she wasn't all that as there were two teachers and she was the one that wasn't great cause she wanted to be everybody's friend therefore had no control and the teaching wasn't as good and they learnt more with the other one because she was strict and wasn't wishy washy.

That doesn't make you sound like a cow at all! The industry is small, even if it seems huge, and everyone either knows everyone, or knows someone who knows them!

Just becareful what you say and whom you say it to ;)

Latest posts

Back