What's a good hair color line..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equal1984

Reaction score
Ok, so first, I want to say that I am still a student, and have been assisting a master stylist/colorist for the past year and a half. I have experience with several hair color lines (Goldwell TopChic and Colorance; Redken Fusion, Color Gels and Shades EQ; Brocato; Schwarzkopf; Wella Kolston; Pravana; Matrix Logics; Kuene; Framesi; and the dreaded Paul Mitchell) but I have not been 100% impressed with one color line. Either the blondes or the reds always disappointment me. I know that is a lot of color to have used, but the main color that I have used is Goldwell and Redken. I wanted to know if anyone has any direction that they could point me in as to color lines to try and see if there is one that can satisfy me and my clients. At this point, I am probably going to stay invested in Goldwell and Redken after I graduate, but want some input!

I love matrix! Ive always used wella but wella needs a lot of mixing different colours for the perfect shade! Matrix is what you see is what you get! Also less staining, designed to go on blondes without worrying about green tones, acts like a shampoo so only needs one shampoo after and colour lasts longer on reds x

I love matrix! Ive always used wella but wella needs a lot of mixing different colours for the perfect shade! Matrix is what you see is what you get! Also less staining, designed to go on blondes without worrying about green tones, acts like a shampoo so only needs one shampoo after and colour lasts longer on reds x

Logics or SoColor? I heard they were relaunching SoColor? Have you heard anything on it?

I love the Joico line. I got to experiment with it at a coloring class.

Julia

I love the Joico line. I got to experiment with it at a coloring class.

Julia

I forgot to list that as one that I have used as well. :lol: I did like that line the little bit that I did play around with it. Thanks

Definately matrix!! We dint have logics in the uk just socolor, sync, dream age, graphics and v-light, reds are amazing and so are blondes. X

I trained with matrix & loved it, then the salon I worked in went to Paul mitchell which I liked, but now I'm mobile I use affinage which I love! If I could get matrix from a wholesaler near me then I'd defo switch back!! xVx

I love wella but that's what I trained with and have used ever since so im used to it xx

I like a bit of everything but I always think it's worth broadening your horizon when it comes to products. You're always going to get a biased opinion with this type of question so be prepared for a tough decision!

I use L'Oreal mainly and a lot of Wella. Both have a lovely range of brunettes and reds. I prefer Wella for shades 6 and up for my brunettes/blondes as I find there is a wider choice and I get a better grey coverage. For my bleaching/toning I use Schwarzkopf BlondeMe. I've used Goldwell in the past and I'm not keen on them at all.

I trained with matrix & loved it, then the salon I worked in went to Paul mitchell which I liked, but now I'm mobile I use affinage which I love! If I could get matrix from a wholesaler near me then I'd defo switch back!! xVx

Where abouts are you? X

There's also Elite in Colchester which is the former Jack Kaye

That's the other side of Colchester to me, didn't realise it was former jack kaye, I thought Salon services had taken over the jack Kate space? xVx

I use affinage also...can't really fault it to be honest, apart from the smell of the lighter shade, kind of overwhelming lol but always get the results :)

Also considering giving matrix a bit of a try though, maybe in the new year :)

Wella for me x

I use affinage also...can't really fault it to be honest, apart from the smell of the lighter shade, kind of overwhelming lol but always get the results :)

Also considering giving matrix a bit of a try though, maybe in the new year :)

I must say I can't fault affinage always gives good results & I don't find a problem with fade, I'd like to be abit more adventurous with it coz I always stick to the colours I know (which is really boring) xVx

I must say I can't fault affinage always gives good results & I don't find a problem with fade, I'd like to be abit more adventurous with it coz I always stick to the colours I know (which is really boring) xVx

I know what you mean! What colours do you use normally for toners and in general? Have you used spectrum or ice creme? X

My favourite line has to be L'Oreal Professional. You just can't beat the results. They are 100% reliable when it comes to hi-lift blondes, reds that don't fade and grey coverage. Their quasi line is great too.

My second favourite would be Matrix (which of course is a L'Oreal company).

When I was a younger stylist I liked Wella Koleston, but now I'm a bit older I think the results look a bit 'fake'. I prefer a more natural result that looks 'less painted'.

Affinage is OK, and offers great value, but the name is unknown. I find that clients are attracted to names that they recognise and respect. Also, I have found their distributorship is unreliable. You have to keep chasing them around as they get dropped by one distributor and taken up by another. It's not worth the hassle (for me at least).

My favourite line has to be L'Oreal Professional. You just can't beat the results. They are 100% reliable when it comes to hi-lift blondes, reds that don't fade and grey coverage. Their quasi line is great too.

My second favourite would be Matrix (which of course is a L'Oreal company).

When I was a younger stylist I liked Wella Koleston, but now I'm a bit older I think the results look a bit 'fake'. I prefer a more natural result that looks 'less painted'.

Affinage is OK, and offers great value, but the name is unknown. I find that clients are attracted to names that they recognise and respect. Also, I have found their distributorship is unreliable. You have to keep chasing them around as they get dropped by one distributor and taken up by another. It's not worth the hassle (for me at least).

I agree with all of that but the loreal highlifts..i find they are very limited and don't work as a true highlift...I have to say, as much as I hate wella, even their highlifts seem better than loreal majiblonde...
Each to their own though :)

I agree with all of that but the loreal highlifts..i find they are very limited and don't work as a true highlift...I have to say, as much as I hate wella, even their highlifts seem better than loreal majiblonde...
Each to their own though :)

Wow. Shocked at that Perry. I found that MajiBlonde have more tones available than any other manufacturer. 900, 900S, 901, 901S, 902, 903, 903S, 904, 921, 911, 913 = 11 blondes. 900S and 901S lift amazingly well from level 6 - very clean and very healthy too.

I'm also a fan of Wella Hilift Blondes and found 12/0, 12/1 and 12/89 were my staples when I used Wella. ULN and ULA in Matrix too. All fab shades!

How about a hilift blonde I could never get to work? Goldwell! It just never lifted as clean as L'Oreal or Wella, but some people swear by it! :eek:

Latest posts

Back