What's going on?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndraM

Reaction score
Shellack, gelish, nail polishes ( rrrgghhh.. ........)
I joined the forum to discuss, see pictures, share some stories about nail technicans job. Almost all I see are the basic manicure topics about shellacks, polishes gelish'es etc.
Ive searched trough quite old topics by now...
Where's the actual art ? How many of you here are actual Nail technicans, who actually build and paint on nails ?? ( China, acryl, Onestroke, aquarel, pipes, stilettos, peaks, competitions, nail art courses..? )

What kind of courses have you guys taken ? Where to you plan to go to take courses in future?

Me? Im from Finland but im Estonian. Ive been on n umerous of courses in Estonia and Finland ( Manicure, Gel nails, acryl nails ( full courses, not "product training courses" , Gel nail art I, II and II levels, Acrylic 3D I and II , China painting, One stroke. - Planning to go and take some courses in Italy and Romania soon. My belief is that Russians can do the best nails and nail art overall (thats why I hope one day ill get a chance to take part of some course in Russia Nail academy ).

Cheers !
Curious Nail Artist

I think there's a lack of posts for nail art cuz there's not too many people asking for it. but loads of gel polish/ power polish posts cuz that's what's being requested and what some techs seem to have issues with. These days, only one I do nail art for is myself, and because of work and daily functionality, I'm pretty limited to what I am able to wear. I'd love to enter a competition one day, but I lack confidence. :lol:

I think there's a lack of posts for nail art cuz there's not too many people asking for it. but loads of gel polish/ power polish posts cuz that's what's being requested and what some techs seem to have issues with. These days, only one I do nail art for is myself, and because of work and daily functionality, I'm pretty limited to what I am able to wear. I'd love to enter a competition one day, but I lack confidence. :lol:

Show off time !
Show some of your Nailart, I'd love to see -becuase Ive seen almost nothing on here ( forum) yet !:)
You guys must at least do something on "tips" or create " Tip box collections??" for at least you own fun?

We have a long running thread asking what nails we are sporting. Loads of pictures there of our own nails :)

Oh! Also there's a nail art group. Great place for you to show off and discuss your pics and enthusiasm for nail art!

In my 10 years of doing nails, never have I had a client asking for nail art. Just as well! I can't do it! I think it may have to do with where you live or work and what kind of clients you're attracting. They're all pretty conservative (not only in the political sense) around here and I couldnt honestly see any of my contemporaries with nail art. It's not a funky cool, hip town where people go clubbing, it's more of a "have tea and scones, go to the local fair, ride a horse, join the WI or yummy mummy group" sort of thing happening here.

So true! Back in Chicago, it was always "fullset w/ nail art" and these girls would leave with me wondering how they even function with those long claws I gave them. But here, it's "can you tidy these up for me dear? And just this ONE colour." maybe one or two want a flower or something on their ring fingers. :lol:

So true! Back in Chicago, it was always "fullset w/ nail art" and these girls would leave with me wondering how they even function with those long claws I gave them. But here, it's "can you tidy these up for me dear? And just this ONE colour." maybe one or two want a flower or something on their ring fingers. :lol:

I guess, if it was like that around here now - I couldnt do this job ( Since I doing it, because I love all oppurtunities with this job - colours, techniques, endless courses on NailArt levels- competitions.) Every set of nails are different.
In Finland actually couple of years ago, it was quite boring as well ( then I painted tips at home or every free minute I had in salon..or did nails with nailart to my friends.) But then I started offering Nailart to my customers ! Now they insist that I draw or do something but just 1 boring color. ( No more those cheap looking stickers ! )

I'm living in Ireland at the moment, it is very rare for someone to ask for nail art, most clients want French.
I show them pictures of stiletto, pipes, edge and they just laugh and think I'm mental. There is no way they would wear those shapes for a start, never mind nail art. A little flower is all they want occasionally.

I suppose youve got to consider what the market is demanding, A lot of british clients want something thats going to look fairly natural and understated. I suppose its just cultural differences that here people prefer something simple, elegant and beautiful rather than brash, wild or too different and eyecatching

I think that a lot of people mistake plain nails for boring nails. In my opinion a perfectly crafted enhancement is beautiful, whether it's pink & white or yellow with green spots and whacking great lion in the middle.

Many of my clients fall in the middle, something a bit different, not too wild and not too conservative either.

Just because a tech does a range of styles, not always crazy, doesn't make them any less talented or worthy of being involved on SG IMO.

Don't forget - every client is different and wants what they want. Some will be persuaded to try different things, some won't. Some are 18, some are 80. You cannot please everyone with nail art, just as you cannot please everyone with a classic look

EDIT: It's also not just client preference, a lot of the time their job, their lifestyle, their hobbies etc dictate what they can and can't have on their nails, and it's also down to the technician to recommend the correct system, shape, length etc based on those factors too. If a public sector worker came to me and said they can't have anything but natural looking nails for work, then that's what they'd get, I couldn't justify trying to get them to be arty as it wouldn't be in their best interests, or mine as I doubt they'd return! :D

Just sayin' :D

Last edited:
I think that a lot of people mistake plain nails for boring nails. In my opinion a perfectly crafted enhancement is beautiful, whether it's pink & white or yellow with green spots and whacking great lion in the middle.

Many of my clients fall in the middle, something a bit different, not too wild and not too conservative either.

Just because a tech does a range of styles, not always crazy, doesn't make them any less talented or worthy of being involved on SG IMO.

Don't forget - every client is different and wants what they want. Some will be persuaded to try different things, some won't. Some are 18, some are 80. You cannot please everyone with nail art, just as you cannot please everyone with a classic look

Well said, and put across in such a polite and friendly way (which is nice to see)

I suppose youve got to consider what the market is demanding, A lot of british clients want something thats going to look fairly natural and understated. I suppose its just cultural differences that here people prefer something simple, elegant and beautiful rather than brash, wild or too different and eyecatching

True, but there is a market for nail art! It's just none of them live near me or are willing to pay my prices. :lol: I honestly don't mind "plain" nails. I love what I do either way. But I do understand where OP is coming from. Sometimes we (those who can't contain their creative urges lol) just want to see or try something a little different, out of the ordinary, ect, but the only way we'd get that, if we have a clientele wanting natural or conservative looks, is to do it on ourselves, or make tip boxes. :)

Well said, and put across in such a polite and friendly way (which is nice to see)

Thanks very much, I try to be diplomatic sometimes and not cause all out war :green: I do firmly believe that the systems and designs you choose to work with don't determine your talent though, some people may disagree :p

The style of nails described in the OP's post sound like they are more for competitions instead of every day life and work nailwear.

Is there a nail competition circuit in the uk?

That is more likely where your creativity and imagination can have full reign.

In the week you produce beautiful but more conservative nails for your clients at the week end off you go to unleash your art on the 'circuit'.

Chickafish - could you enter into a little competition first so you can get a feel for the talent etc.?

The worst scenario is that you mess it up completely, but then you go to the next one and you will know where you went wrong and will be better.

You won't mess it up anyway!

The fear is in our head. Ignore it. Do it. Then tell us all about it!

Jacqui xx

EDIT: It's also not just client preference, a lot of the time their job, their lifestyle, their hobbies etc dictate what they can and can't have on their nails, and it's also down to the technician to recommend the correct system, shape, length etc based on those factors too. If a public sector worker came to me and said they can't have anything but natural looking nails for work, then that's what they'd get, I couldn't justify trying to get them to be arty as it wouldn't be in their best interests, or mine as I doubt they'd return! :D

Ditto

The style of nails described in the OP's post sound like they are more for competitions instead of every day life and work nailwear.

Is there a nail competition circuit in the uk?

That is more likely where your creativity and imagination can have full reign.

In the week you produce beautiful but more conservative nails for your clients at the week end off you go to unleash your art on the 'circuit'.

Chickafish - could you enter into a little competition first so you can get a feel for the talent etc.?

The worst scenario is that you mess it up completely, but then you go to the next one and you will know where you went wrong and will be better.

You won't mess it up anyway!

The fear is in our head. Ignore it. Do it. Then tell us all about it!

Jacqui xx

I know the fear is in my head, but I never do well under pressure or when people are watching me. :lol: However, I would be interested to enroll in a course that covers all aspects of competition nails just to see what the world of competition nails is like.

I know the fear is in my head, but I never do well under pressure or when people are watching me. :lol: However, I would be interested to enroll in a course that covers all aspects of competition nails just to see what the world of competition nails is like.

There's always a possibility to start in "tip box" class of competition.. almost no pressure, besides waiting for points and final results:p

Hmmm... I'm gonna look into this then. Im liking the sound of it :D

Hmmm... I'm gonna look into this then. Im liking the sound of it :D

Good girl, go on and do it or you'll never know how brilliant you might be xx

Latest posts

Back