What's that-nits?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Must be me, but they dont look like nits at all...more like blobs of glue or something.

Nits are a little bigger than in your photos and brown and if there are nits there will be white eggs also. With nits, you can easily see them as little crawling creatures and your photos do not show this at all. (even if dead, you will still be able to see little legs).

Nits are eggs, lice are the crawlers x

Ok so I got myself mixed up, but these still do not look like nits or lice.

I am not a hair professional, but as a foster parent for the last 22 years, I have seen and dealt with many nits, and lice. Also have read up a bit over the years. First these do not look like nits as nits are white as mentioned already. Not only that, but lice do not stray that far down the hair shaft to lay their eggs as they need a live blood feed to stay alive. I don't know what you are seeing on the hair in the photo, but I do not think it is nits at all.

I am not a hair professional, but as a foster parent for the last 22 years, I have seen and dealt with many nits, and lice. Also have read up a bit over the years. First these do not look like nits as nits are white as mentioned already. Not only that, but lice do not stray that far down the hair shaft to lay their eggs as they need a live blood feed to stay alive. I don't know what you are seeing on the hair in the photo, but I do not think it is nits at all.

I don't know if they're nits eggs or not, but whatever they are they shouldn't be there!! The hair extensions would have been through many treatments, (bleaching,colouring etc...) so I doubt that even if they were nits they would not look at all like live eggs.

I'm not a hair tech but been a mum for 24yrs and they look like live or killed eggs - nits.
Nits that have hatched are white as it is only the husk left behind.

I'd say from all the treatment they've been under the chances are your nits are unhatched but dead.

If you grip it between your fingernails and slide down with a small tug to release their glue they will slide off the hair shaft, not a nice job but it ensures they are all out and you can scrub your hands afterwards.

Sometimes hair can get beads of colour on it. I emailed a supplier before as thought they were nits on the end but it turns out just beads of colour

Sometimes hair can get beads of colour on it. I emailed a supplier before as thought they were nits on the end but it turns out just beads of colour

Hi Mercedes!
I have beads of colour at the ends, it looks like a little bulbs...I'll make a picture tonight, as it looks totally different.
x

Remember their husks could be coloured with the hair xoxo

I definitely think these are eggs they have picked up colour and have slide down the hair shaft too ,as thay are a cocoon around the hair thay can slide up and down which is why they have to be slid to the end to get them off :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

They are definitely dead/empty eggs, live ones are a creamy pearlescent colour, and rounder, those are flat,plus they are quite far down the hair shaft. In my training I was told that it is possible to find eggs in extensions. Have you got a nit comb to try to comb them out or use your thumb nail to drag them down the hair shaft,or maybe cut them out if there's not loads. Plus dont forget lice/nits cannot survive without a human host its an impossibility,therefore as these are in dead hair, no food supply.

Last edited:
I'm not a hair tech but been a mum for 24yrs and they look like live or killed eggs - nits.
Nits that have hatched are white as it is only the husk left behind.

I'd say from all the treatment they've been under the chances are your nits are unhatched but dead.

If you grip it between your fingernails and slide down with a small tug to release their glue they will slide off the hair shaft, not a nice job but it ensures they are all out and you can scrub your hands afterwards.

Wish more more hairdressing mums were a knowledgable as you! I'm to a parent and have been coming across head lice for 20 odd years, its definately experience of these buggers that have made me wiser x

Sorry just read your post after writing mine. Totally agreement as you'll see by my post!

Just to say that egg cases can be found further down the shaft, if lice have been present for some time then as the hair grows the cases move down.

As far as I was aware when training the hair is 'deloused' before the colouring process, am I wrong with this or does it vary company to company? If so I find this quite worrying as it should be a basic rule of hygiene surely? Xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back