Whats the difference between using Bio sculpture gel and Shellac?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happysez

Reaction score
Hi all nail techs.

I don't know much about gel nails as I only do natural nails so this is why I want to find out about Shellac. So many people are talking about it.
I don't really like doing enhancments (my friend does bio sculputer and let me do one on her but it wasnt for me) but if i'm using a gel like a varnish then that would be right up my street.

My friend who uses Bio said she doesn't know anything about Shellac and she can't see why it would be any different to using Bio as a coloured Gel like she does, she says it lasts 3 weeks.

Could anyone educate me on this please.

Many thanks in advance.:D

Hi, I'm a newbie!:) Just staring out in the nail industry. What training should I take? I've read numerous reviews on bio sculpture, OPI and now Shellac not sure which route to take..... I prefer the gel bio sculpture after personal experience, I am unsure if OPI are going to do a 'Boots/Superdrug' special so would hate to invest if their road map is not exclusive and had never heard of Shellac until I read your rav reviews. I just can't decided what way to go.... Would love to hear your feedback pleasseeeee!:) Thanks.

OK. I am trained in Calgel which is similar to Bio, and I also use Shellac. It's very different. With Shellac you don't need to, ahem, exfoliate the the nail plate bedfore applying the product. Shellac goes on much thinner, i.e. looks like polish, whereas gel can look bulky. Shellac is shiny, doesn't need a shiny top coat over the top. Shellac is smooth, doesn't have the rubbery feel that soak off gels can have. Shellac is very inexpensive to buy and doesn't need any extra training if you are trained in manicure. Shellac soaks off really quickly. Hth's!

Have you had any training yet?

I'm qualified beauty therapist, but haven't embarked on enhancements yet!:)

So you're qualified in manicure? In that case you can buy / try Shellac without any additional training. It is not expensive in my opinion and the colours are all great, there aren't really any duff ones. Bio Sculpture is very popular and can be great but you would need a much bigger investment.

Now, Shellac is not really an enhancement product, it is more for the natual nail, whereas you can use Bio to enhance/sculpt, although in my experience many who wear Bio have it as an overlay. So would you like to offer enhancements?

If not you could always stock Shellac and OPI. I can't imagine anyone not wanting Shellac BUT at the mo there aren't that many colours.

No comparison! Shellac is a polish/gel hybrid (only one of its kind) that is more polish than gel. Goes on like polish and comes off just as easily with minimal nail prep. Gel is gel wether it is soak off or traditional--still needs nail prep.

Thank you for your quick responses. You have made me understand it a lot more.
I have got a few more question though.
Does Shellec make the nail strong like a gel does?
Would it be sweet squared I would get in contact with?
Zo Zo you say that if you are a qualified manicurist you don't need training right?
I am really liking the sound of this product more. I will have to do more research. If you know of any links that would be good to look at you you post them please.
Many thanks.

Last edited:
Thank you for your quick responses. You have made me understand it a lot more. I have got a few more question though.

Does Shellec make the nail strong like a gel does? It makes it stronger and in many cases quite strong enough but is not an enhancement product.

Would it be sweet squared I would get in contact with? Yes .. 08452106060

Zo Zo you say that if you are a qualified manicurist you don't need training right? If you have a manicure qualification then you should be able to paint well ... if you can paint well then you can use shellac well.

I am really liking the sound of this product more. I will have to do more research. If you know of any links that would be good to look at you you post them please.

There are so many articles and tutorials to help you as well as joining the Shellac lovers group here on the site (just click on groups above)

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/112879-defining-shellac-u-v-colour-coat-system.html

http://www.salongeek.com/training/113923-shellac-science-very-cool-understand-know-how-use.html

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finis...-colour-coat-system-application-tutorial.html

http://www.salongeek.com/general-articles/112929-how-assemble-use-your-new-cnd-uv-lamp.html

Hope these are of help to you.

Shellac goes on like polish
Shellac wears like a gel
Shellac comes off in minutes .... really. :D

Thank you geeg for great info!

No comparison! Shellac is a polish/gel hybrid (only one of its kind) that is more polish than gel. Goes on like polish and comes off just as easily with minimal nail prep. Gel is gel wether it is soak off or traditional--still needs nail prep.

I respectfully disagree...there is another kind thats very similar called Gelish by Harmony...and I actually think it was introduced first...if not around the same time...and also shellac does not remove like polish...you have to soak it in special wraps for 10 mins...Gelish also has 48 colors and comes in half oz. bottles for $1 more per bottle.

I respectfully disagree...there is another kind thats very similar called Gelish by Harmony...and I actually think it was introduced first...if not around the same time...and also shellac does not remove like polish...you have to soak it in special wraps for 10 mins...Gelish also has 48 colors and comes in half oz. bottles for $1 more per bottle.

I'm pretty sure C-C My Nails uses Gelish so knew the differerences when she posted this.

I'm pretty sure C-C My Nails uses Gelish so knew the differerences when she posted this.

Ok...then why would she say that Shellac is "the only one of its kind"?...I wasnt explaining the differences between Gelish and Shellac...I was actually saying how alike they are...just that one comes in a bigger bottle and has more colors...and the fact that she says Shellac removes as easily as polish and thats just not true....I didnt realize that I wasnt allowed to state an opinion.

the prep on using gelish or a more gel product like akzentz options is so minimal you really only need to buff the nailplate with a buffer block (which most of us do in a manicure treatment anyway) i dont see that as being a HUGE advantage to shellac anyway, y'all go on like its a big deal

Ok...then why would she say that Shellac is "the only one of its kind"?...I wasnt explaining the differences between Gelish and Shellac...I was actually saying how alike they are...just that one comes in a bigger bottle and has more colors...and the fact that she says Shellac removes as easily as polish and thats just not true....I didnt realize that I wasnt allowed to state an opinion.

Your Opinion is your opinon and you are entitled to express it but unfortunately in this case your opinion is not factual.

Shellac is the only HYBRID product on the market (different technology developed by CND and not bought off the shelf from another manufacturer) .. the others are coloured gels which means you need to prep the nail first and you need to file the colour first before soaking off and they are not 3 free or hypoallergenic.

No one (including CND who manufacture it) says it comes off like polish because it does not.
It GOES on like polish and wears like gel and wraps off in 10 minutes with no filing first and no prep to the nail before application. It is 3 free and hypoallergenic and it is not a gel. Shellac is quicker and easier to use and apply and remove in MY OPINION (having tried many of the coloured gels on the market) and Shellac is 3 Free and hypoallergenic besides which I personally like very much, with nil heat spike (which some coloured gels do have).

Here is the science behind it developed by CND and multi patent pending If you are interested to read it.

http://www.salongeek.com/training/1...cool-understand-know-how-use.html#post1062769

There are many more differences between Shellac and all the myriad coloured gels that brands are buying and introducing.

But if coloured gel is what you want to use then that is fine, don't see why you feel you need to defend what is your choice to use.

the prep on using gelish or a more gel product like akzentz options is so minimal you really only need to buff the nailplate with a buffer block (which most of us do in a manicure treatment anyway) i dont see that as being a HUGE advantage to shellac anyway, y'all go on like its a big deal

In my opinion anything that saves time and effort and stress to the natural nail is a big deal. I never use a block on the nail plate when doing a manicure on a natural nail .. why would I? Scrubfresh is all I ever need to remove oils and contaminants before applying polish. It is only one of the many advantages I mention above to using Shellac.

Last edited:
im only gonna say one more thing because this is ridiculous...you said in an earlier reply that Shellac "goes on like polish and comes off just as easy"...your words not mine! and that is a FACT...it does not come off as easy as polish...that too is a FACT...you also said that it as a hybrid "polish/gel...and later said Shellac was not a gel...you are contradicting yourself...and that again is a FACT!

im only gonna say one more thing because this is ridiculous...you said in an earlier reply that Shellac "goes on like polish and comes off just as easy"...your words not mine! and that is a FACT...it does not come off as easy as polish...that too is a FACT...you also said that it as a hybrid "polish/gel...and later said Shellac was not a gel...you are contradicting yourself...and that again is a FACT!

No you are incorrect. A hybrid by definition is a mixture of two technologies ... you would have understood if you had read the link I posted re the science. I've made it simple enough.

A hybrid takes the best of both technologies and combines it. Shellac contains some solvents like a polish and some oligamers like a gel and fast release polymers that release the product from the surface of the nail in a completely different way to gels, plus completely NEW science to make it all work.

Nowhere to my knowledge have I ever said Shellac comes off like polish, what's more, Shellac is 3free and hypoallergenic (a difference that you care not to talk about) .. I have always said it comes off in 10 minutes. And all the other differences are listed in my article as well which have also been ignored by you.

I do not contradict myself. I know my science and I know Shellac science. You can try to carry on scoring points but you are loosing. If all you can write about is how someone (not myself) said it comes off like polish, I'd give it up and post in the Gelish thread amongst others that want to use all the similar coloured gels and not Shellac .. your choice as I said.

There is even a gelish group you can join to post all your accolades about the product and not deal with the likes of the Shellackers who love what they are using and also have taken the time to appreciate the differences and benefits it boasts. You are not going to convince Shellackers to change and clearly you are not interested in learning anything new or different or accepting what is in front of your nose. Fine. Happy days using gelish ! Make tonnes of money and prosper.

Last edited:
I've been doing Bio Sculpture for 8 years and love it! Easy to apply soaks off in 15mins to leave clean nails!

The original poster asked for a difference between Bio and Shellac?
A big difference to me and my clients is TIME. That is not the only difference.

As i have mentioned before- a huge difference for clients and techs is that Shellac takes 20 mins and Bio takes between 45 mins to 1 hour 15 mins.Feel free to correct me if you can do Bio faster.

Latest posts

Back