What's this please and how can I fix it? Thank you

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

<3nails

Reaction score
Hello there,
What could this be? how can I sort it out?
Thanks
xxx

Attachments

• 1384704221561.jpg
    1384704221561.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 1,238
What's the history here.
Regular client? What product ? Etc.
It looks like a wart or a dermatitis, either way she should visit her GP and have it medically assessed.

Hi! I have been a licensed manicurist for 23 years. That is a wart, IMHO, for sure refer her to a doctor.

it looks pretty grim! she used to go to a different nail place and get calgel done but she said it weakened her nails loads so now she gets shellac with me.She came to me before and I could swear I've never seen that dry patch on her before as I wouldn't forget it :eek: anyways, she said she's always had it and it's just dry skin! lol I didn't think it's just dry skin ...but didn't want to refer her to a gp without a second opinion

Possibly allergy ?

Is it the inside edge of thumb? Lots of people pick at it with middle or index finger when anxious. (Well I do anyway!).

I don't think she picks at it cause she would have told me

Does the client work in a pub or bar?

It looks like she needs a good solar oiling! Mine can look worse than that if ive been doing a lot of cleaning, hands in water etc

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

One of my regular clients has something like this (and has done since before she started coming to me). She has been to her GP, and while he wasn't able to say definitively what it was, he was able to confirm that it wasn't a wart nor anything contagious. Obviously, we are not qualified to diagnose but if you gently advised her to see her GP they will be able to advise and you will both know if you are ok to work on her xxx

Where does anyone see anything that looks like a wart?

Mine looked like that when I stopped biting my nails when younger and I had been nibbling the hard skin o know thay is a horrible habit but I was a teenager lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

This client works as a solicitor. Some of the other nails have a bit of dry skin like that, but this thumb looks the worst. The nail looks slightly deformed and the skin looks dry , but there isn't any heads for warts on it. :confused:

Looks like rough skin to me, especially now in the colder weather it is a more common problem. I had it to but since using cuticle eraser from cnd my skin around my nails are a lot softer and no buildup of hard skin

on the photo you have posted it's a little difficult to see but it does look like it it's raised (there is a lump in the RHS profile of the finger + look at under the bottom left corner - there is rounded edge?) and a white cauliflower like surface?

look at this picture - to me it looks similar:

Picture of Verrucous Papules

It could also be just extreme dry skin. Either way we don't diagnose but should be alert to *potential* contraindications. I would refer to GP.

syncage- no that's not how it looks like on my lady, that would definitely stop me from doing her nails :eek:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Geeg, would you advise to buff off that skin or use some cuticle remover on it? She's due in on Thursday, not sure what to do, I'm just hoping is not contagious as I don't want to pass it on if it is. I think she used to bite her nails in the past as they look deformed like a nail biters. Thank you :)

Geeg, would you advise to buff off that skin or use some cuticle remover on it? She's due in on Thursday, not sure what to do, I'm just hoping is not contagious as I don't want to pass it on if it is. I think she used to bite her nails in the past as they look deformed like a nail biters. Thank you :)

To be honest, it doesn't look like anything weird to me at all in that photo. Just looks like dry skin that has split.

If It is still an open wound then using Cuticle Away on it will be a big ouch. If not then you could.

I would sell her CND cuticle eraser and Solar Oil and get her to use it regularly. It may be caused by working with paper ... Paper is VERY drying to skin and nails.

I have something similar on my thumb and it's just dry skin. As Geeg. Says I work with paper all day, and I also work as a home carer so have my hands in gloves, wash my hands all the time and use alcohol gel - only thing that stops it getting this bad is when I use solar oil and daily hand cream application. X

This is how my nails used to look. I would nibble around the side walls and when the skin grew back it was callous.

Latest posts

Back