When a client smudges their tan

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolatepickle

Reaction score
I done a client this morning. She was fine when i left (I always check I've covered everywhere) and she's phoned to say she thinks she has smudged it as theres a whiter patch on her leg.
All I can think is that she has smudged it herself somehow as I know I checked it before she dressed. I've told her to wait until tonight when she washes off the colour guide to see if it shows, if by the morning she's concerned to call me then.
So what do you all do?
Do you charge to return and fix it knowing it was the clients fault or do you fix it for free so they are happy as it will only be a small area?
I just have a feeling that the client will expect it to be fixed for free regardless of blame.

I think it's up to you personally, If it's the first time, I normally fix things as ia good will gesture then if it happens again I'd charge, One client of mying didn't cover up properly after her spray tan and got water droplets on her chest (as it was raining), I fixed it for free and she was very very grateful, and comes for tans reguarly. It also depends on the type of client?

If they were very close usually i wouldnt mind. Only tomorrow morning i have my son then have clients in the afternoon so dont really have the time to do so which is what i feel bad for. This must be the down side of being mobile, people cant just pop in to see you.
I have luckily not had to patch up a spoilt tan before. How did you fix the rain drops?

I know what you mean it can be annoying when you don't have the time, I just resprayed over the area an told her to wash well in the morning to remove all guide colour and it worked well, I would be cautious of trying to fix a tan once developed as I did try it once on myself and it didn't look quite right, Once the tan has been applied, its generally only water that takes it off so she might just of smudged guide colour but the actual tan will still develop fine.

thats what im hoping will happen! I know when i've messed mine up mostly it turns out fine after the guide is off.
Will have to see what its like if she does contact me back. I was thinking if it does need patching up i was going to apply moisturiser around the surrounding area and then spray the area again, perhaps with a lighter colour should it be necessary. IF i can squeeze in time.

If it's a new client i stay there till the tan is dry enough for them to put their dressing gown or somthing on. If any smudges happen after that, it'll be ok, cos it's just guide colour. If it gets smudged before it's dried, i spray only that part and it turns out fine. It's worth waiting 15 mins to make sure you don't have to go back. If they spill somthing on it eg water thats their own fault. Use your savvy as you will get chancers. Good luck!

I was thinking if it does need patching up i was going to apply moisturiser around the surrounding area and then spray the area again, perhaps with a lighter colour should it be necessary. IF i can squeeze in time.

or depending on what size the patch is, :idea: sponge some tan on to the patchy bit, or lol spray her legs again. She'll be really happy and most definately book you again. Just a couple of ideas. I've got a feeling it'll be fine anyway, she's just panicing, maybe not had a tan before:?:

how about suggesting to repair it for free if she comes to you on this occasion?

yes, I don't think i'd want to go back to repair a smudge for nothing.. and I wouldnt want to hang around for 15 mins per customer either! I'd say her coming to you is a good idea

yes, I don't think i'd want to go back to repair a smudge for nothing.. and I wouldnt want to hang around for 15 mins per customer either! I'd say her coming to you is a good idea

Neither would I want to do either ideally.
Normally clients are dry very quickly only my gun was running a little wetter today. I done so many but normally have no problems so I wouldnt generally hang around... just one of those days I guess.
Well I've not had a call this evening and I'm assuming she will have showered by now- fingers crossed I dont hear anything in the morning!

Latest posts

Back