When it's pants it's acrylic!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazapoppy

Reaction score
As so many fellow techs have posted before, when it's not going good it's the worst feeling ever.
I've just spent 3hrs on an acrylic rebalance and I'm in bits...
This is the first real what on earth am I doing meltdown.
I've been trying the reverse method with YN products ( only s few weeks)and thought yeah this is better for me.... Maybe not.
I am booked in on wed for a conversion course but in the mean time I've never felt so low.
Sorry geeks just not in a good nail place and I know some of you will understand..😓

I've been feeling really down about my acrylics and I also wrote a post saying I was low but the other geeks where lovely and they have all made me keep at it and stick with it, I've done nothing but practice to get better. The other geeks have said to me if its something you love doing then don't give up, just keep practicing and you will get there. Xx

Ive been doing nails for 2 years now and occasionally still have days like this, one of the biggest helps to me was gigi rouse (geegs) book nail class , it has lots of tips and advice from how to hold your brush correctly (this makes a massive difference) file control gel and l&p application and lots more, i definatly recommend it, its help me loads.

Have you watched the training videos from Greg Salo of Young Nails on their website or You Tube. He has a whole range there and they are really helpful.

Acrylics are difficult at first but once you have gotten the hang of them they are fabulous.:D

one of the biggest helps to me was gigi rouse (geegs) book nail class , it has lots of tips and advice from how to hold your brush correctly (this makes a massive difference) file control gel and l&p application and lots more, i definatly recommend it, its help me loads.[/QUOTE]

I second that, my acrylics have improved so much now I have this book, well it's more of a bible really !!!!!

Thanks geeks I know I will feel better when I sleep on it, it's just so frustrating when you have high standards but not the expertise to reach them.
I have nailclass and it is a fantastic book, I've watched loads of videos Greg is so good, but why on earth I can't transfer it onto a set of nails is beyond me.
I got a nail trainer maybe I just need to go back to basics and practice more..In the meantime I've opened vino lol..x

I think we will see more and more posts like this over the next few months , hugs Hun >:)<

With 2ish years of being swamped with UV color coatings alot of us have let our skills go a bit or never learnt as much as we could with traditional enhancements ... I think that now the tide is turning (at last)

Let's take it back to basics , what do you feel went wrong with the rebalance?
Mix ratio?
Color?
Shape?
Timing?
Have you done reverse before in a rebalance?

All of these things can easily be fixed Hun, even if it is a nightmare at the time...

It is a good thing that you can see that there are problems You have developed "the eye" , if you wear blind to them there would be no way to help you .

Hi shazzapoppy sorry to here your still having problems:(
Is it lifting or application your having problems with?
Also young nails are having a demo and vat free day at the Wellington park on Sunday if u fancy meeting up!?! X

I think we will see more and more posts like this over the next few months , hugs Hun >:)<

With 2ish years of being swamped with UV color coatings alot of us have let our skills go a bit or never learnt as much as we could with traditional enhancements ... I think that now the tide is turning (at last)

Let's take it back to basics , what do you feel went wrong with the rebalance?
Mix ratio?
Color?
Shape?
Timing?
Have you done reverse before in a rebalance?

All of these things can easily be fixed Hun, even if it is a nightmare at the time...

It is a good thing that you can see that there are problems You have developed "the eye" , if you wear blind to them there would be no way to help you .

Hey mizzy
It was my first rebalance with the reverse method, my pink went on ok the white even though I blotted it, seemed Wet and dry, drier in the middle when I placed it, but wet at the edges, my free edge side walls( does that even make sense) I think I am tapering them then I shape the whole nail finish filing the set, look back at the nails I've just spent 45 mins filing and they are still not wright.. So I filed them more managed file off some of the white at the smile Line and had to go back fill in the white in parts and gently blend with a 240 file.
Add to that 4 nails that I used forms on as the client had knocked an edge and preferred square ( I haven't trained in sculpting) but dabbled in fixing my own and ended up with uneven doorsteps more filing ... And I noticed every flaw, But by that stage I couldn't have my client sitting any longer dear luv her, and didn't know how to make them better...Total nightmare if she doesn't text me to fix them it'll be a miracle..x

Hi shazzapoppy sorry to here your still having problems:(
Is it lifting or application your having problems with?
Also young nails are having a demo and vat free day at the Wellington park on Sunday if u fancy meeting up!?! X
Hi shazzer
Yes I am going on Sunday looking forward to it, I would luv to meet up, it's little bits off all aspects of acrylic I'm struggling with, my client tonight had no lifting and I though yeahh wee handy One .... Not!!! its the over all finished look of the acrylic nail I'm not happy with, ie side walls.not tapered enough consistency fron nail to nail and nails not fine enough.. Heeeeeeelllllp....

Remember Perfect practise makes perfect nails. If yours need re-evaluating in the first place, then no amount of practise will make them perfect without a bit of outside additional advice/help ;)

Remember Perfect practise makes perfect nails. If yours need re-evaluating in the first place, then no amount of practise will make them perfect without a bit of outside additional advice/help ;)

Do you no what sleeping beauty you are right, I am lying here just thinking, what is the point of practicing what's not right I need to strip it back with a pro and see where I am going wrong, I have my conversion course on wed so will try to get to the root of my problems..xx&#128515;

Don't get me started with some of the nightmares I've had. I once did some for the first time using a mask pink. I actually thought I was going to cry. The client actually asked if she could go for a fag half way through, lol. They were lumpy, dry, inconsistent & took a lifetime to file. All I can say is I took a deep breath, knew I couldn't have a meltdown & just had to keep telling myself it would be ok.

I never ever made that mistake again though. Sometimes we have to make these mistakes to learn from them. Just use it to learn from and don't dwell on it too much. To recognise your mistakes is your biggest strength :) xx

To perfect the numerous skills required to do beautiful L&P enhancements, you have to do L&P enhancements!! Lots and lots of them all day every day; if you do not build that side of your business then you will never get there by only doing the occasional set here and there.

There are still as many women as ever who want enhancements.

BIG mistake for those of you who did not heed the advice given from day one, that Shellac was for natural nail clients and to bring NEW clients into your business. Instead many have just come into nails doing ONLY UV manicures, with little or no experience; others did the silliest thing and encouraged their existing enhancement clientel to change over to UV cured polish. This is where 90% of all problems have occurred and now you are learning that, as we always said, UV polish is not suitable for those clients who need enhancements. If you want to grow your nail business you need to be able to do it all well to satisfy all clients' requirements.

So brush up those skills if you have been promoting only one side of your business; learn those skills you lack if you do not have them. UV manicures are only suitable for a section of your clients (although it is potentially a very large category! ) but of that large section of the potential clientele for natural nail services, only a proportion will choose to go to a salon to have their nails done as with all other beauty services.

I am thankful that we heeded the marketing advice given by CND and did not encourage our large enhancement clientele to abandon enhancements and switch to Shellac. We still have a very large enhancement clientele and now we also have a very large base of new natural nail clients who come regularly for Shellac services. Happy busy days and very healthy business.

What time are you going at ? I will be there frm 12 ish if ur availble around that time I can meet u there?!?
There is a lot u probably weren't shown when you trained as my friend and I found out luckily we had each other to share tips with ! Hopefully your conversion course will teach you all that has been missed , I'm intending on doing gel with them ! X

What time are you going at ? I will be there frm 12 ish if ur availble around that time I can meet u there?!?
There is a lot u probably weren't shown when you trained as my friend and I found out luckily we had each other to share tips with ! Hopefully your conversion course will teach you all that has been missed , I'm intending on doing gel with them ! X

I'm going to be there for 12 as well, I have a nail tech friend coming with me, your right you need someone to help you along,share tips and meltdowns but she doesn't do acrylic so it would be great to talk to someone who does.. I will pm you my mob no if that's ok.xxx

Yes that's fine ! Will be nice to meet a fellow nail geek;) xx

Hi Geeg

Of course that makes perfect sense!! I started of with acrylic in Nov last year and have introduced gelish as an added service, i am determined to master acrylic, I have invested a lot of time and money and am so passionate about nails. It's so frustrating. I wish I could get locked in somewhere with a Respected nail tech for about a month... Not so good for them though lol..xxx

Latest posts

Back