When to get strict with clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauty bits

Reaction score
I've been having a few issues lately with clients expecting the world.

Firstly do you have a set time before you say any damage is from the client and you won't repair for free? I don't at the moment as the majority of my clients get a minimum of two weeks from a gel polish but I'm feeling taken for granted. Before Christmas I had a client who after over 2 weeks had lifting and wanted me to repair for free. I very politely explained that that was too long for a free repair and she hasn't been back as she was adamant I should have. I have another one who is always having nails "pop" off, often with dirt under her nails etc.

I'm getting sick of these few clients pestering and wondered if there's a way I can word that repairs are not free after a specific time that won't cause offence
Thanks x

Hi.... The way I get round it is....after doing there nails gel or Extensions I give them a after care Guide and at the bottom of it I give them a guarantee of five days some people only give three but I get five ....hope you can see it on the picture hope this helps....
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1452261369.455362.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1452261394.158492.jpg

The first time a client has Shellac with me I give them an A4 sheet of home care instructions and a free pinkie sized bottle of solar oil. This lists the do's and don'ts of looking after their gel nails. It also states that I will do free repairs if any problems in the first 3 days. After this time a charge is made. So far no-one has returned for a repair.
It makes clients aware that they do need to be careful with their nails. If they loose bits of gel then they think twice before trying to make out I didn't put them on well! Always worth reminding clients that CND states that shellac is a 14+ day product not 28 day...;)

I wouldn't be advising that you'd repair free of charge within ANY amount of time if you're confident in your work.

I'd make judgement on each situation, why 3/4/5 days, do you think they're likely to come off in that time? What if someone has fallen/knocked/bitten.. Would you still do it for free? They just wouldn't tell you how it happened..

I think once you get to know your clients and work out when they've done it due to being careless you use your own judgement...

Within X amount of days is like you're taking the blame before it's even happened.

Agree with emilyS, it's probably best to make a judgment on each case.

While I'm repairing it I try and ask questions like ... When did you notice it was gone...did it lift from the bottom or top ....did you notice a crack at all etc

If you ask what they've done to break it they will usually say nothing, I just looked down and it was gone

Which may be true in some cases but usually as a result of the bashing it previously and setting up a crack or separation.

I don't offer any guarantees though. I figure if it was the way I put them on, then they'd all be off together, not one, as I do the same with all ten nails! (Sometimes it helps to point this out!) xxx

As someone who's nails came off at the 2 week mark. I do have to say that not all 10 nails are treated the same. Especially if your clients aren't ambidextrous. So one or two nails are going to be more likely to lift etc

I was applying cuticle oil twice a day (I was recommended every time my hands were in water and I'm a hairdresser so not possible.)

I was opening things with knuckles as best I could.

I had requested as short as possible as I wasn't used to long nails.

And the technician was more slap dash on some nails than others. (Id been waiting 1/2hour)

I had noticed them lifting very slightly after a few days. But i figured they'd survive til my next appointment. Plus it was Christmas. They were busy, I was busy.

If they'd said any problems within X days, let us know. I would have been straight back. Because I knew unless I sat in a glass box, I couldn't have been more careful with them.

Offering free repairs for a short period is more about customer service and aftercare support than saying your work is likely to be at fault
I would rather a client contacted me swiftly if they did experience a problem so I can sort it out rapidly and keep my good reputation in tact

Offering free repairs for a short period is more about customer service and aftercare support than saying your work is likely to be at fault
I would rather a client contacted me swiftly if they did experience a problem so I can sort it out rapidly and keep my good reputation in tact
Yes, I just wouldn't give the time scale, a general 'any issues please contact me' has always been suffice and still allows a judgement time :)

Thanks for the replies, I must admit I've been a bit slack lately and not giving out aftercare leaflets and just talking it through, that will now change. On a good note my lady who's nails "pop off" came and offered to pay without me having to bring it up :) think I will reword my price list to have a repairs charge x

Make sure your clients know gel polish is a temporary service. Not like with enhancements where when they get their infills etc you repair the same set with out removal. Explain its meant to be on the nail for two or three weeks or however long your brand says. Then it's ether removed or re applied, it doesn't get repaired. Even if you were to offer a repair it would not actually be one it would be a removal and re apply. If this was after say a week they would have more regrowth on some nails then others so I don't see how that would work ether as would look bad.

Of cource my clients can ring me with any concerns but i find my gel polish never lifts, so if there is damage its a chip, the client has accidentally done but that's life. If it's near to the two/three week mark they are welcome to ring me and I will try and bring their appointment forward for them but you can't afford to run around after every little chip they do. Plus it will just encourage them to be less careful! Xx

The first time a client has Shellac with me I give them an A4 sheet of home care instructions and a free pinkie sized bottle of solar oil. This lists the do's and don'ts of looking after their gel nails. It also states that I will do free repairs if any problems in the first 3 days. After this time a charge is made. So far no-one has returned for a repair.
It makes clients aware that they do need to be careful with their nails. If they loose bits of gel then they think twice before trying to make out I didn't put them on well! Always worth reminding clients that CND states that shellac is a 14+ day product not 28 day...;)

Please can I ask how much you are planning on charging per nail, if it ever happens? I'm struggling to know what's reasonable!

Hmm... Yes, haven't actually had to yet but I think if it does I would probably charge £3 for one replacement and £5 for two. Something like that.
On the other hand though if it was a big spender regular client I might do it for free!!
[emoji56]

Hi I've had a similar problem however I am newly qualified and use OPI. One client keeps saying that one or two have 'popped off' after about three days after application. I always ensure I apply properly and do the correct nail prep. When I returned to fix the nails on the first occasion, her nails had lost all their shine and had purple stain under them, turns out she up cycled a few dining room chairs. However her toes were perfect. I politely suggested that it may be the DIY etc that she is doing and said that her toes have lasted well so I don't think it was the product or my application. (also mentioned how well other clients have lasted). But she didn't seem to agree....help!?

Hi I've had a similar problem however I am newly qualified and use OPI. One client keeps saying that one or two have 'popped off' after about three days after application. I always ensure I apply properly and do the correct nail prep. When I returned to fix the nails on the first occasion, her nails had lost all their shine and had purple stain under them, turns out she up cycled a few dining room chairs. However her toes were perfect. I politely suggested that it may be the DIY etc that she is doing and said that her toes have lasted well so I don't think it was the product or my application. (also mentioned how well other clients have lasted). But she didn't seem to agree....help!?

I have this worry too... I also use OPI and although most people's last I have a couple of people who have lifted... But I agree with what you are saying, their toes are fine so it must be something they have done. I've also asked another therapist before about this and she reassured me by saying.. Do your gels last? And when I said yes for weeks, she said well there you go, you know you're applying them well and correctly, who knows what these people are doing at home. I have made aftercare leaflets for my new treatment room and at the bottom I've put how any lifting will be fixed for free within 48 hours but after that there will be a charge. I think this is a good time period as if you have accidentally not done you're best on a nail then it will lift away within that time period.. Anything after that is most probably because of something they've done!

I have this worry too... I also use OPI and although most people's last I have a couple of people who have lifted... But I agree with what you are saying, their toes are fine so it must be something they have done. I've also asked another therapist before about this and she reassured me by saying.. Do your gels last? And when I said yes for weeks, she said well there you go, you know you're applying them well and correctly, who knows what these people are doing at home. I have made aftercare leaflets for my new treatment room and at the bottom I've put how any lifting will be fixed for free within 48 hours but after that there will be a charge. I think this is a good time period as if you have accidentally not done you're best on a nail then it will lift away within that time period.. Anything after that is most probably because of something they've done!
Yes I am just making aftercare leaflets too! I think some clients think they are industrial strength after gel polish! Thanks for the reassurance :)

Does anyone have a picture of their aftercare leaflets? I'm thinking of getting some made for my clients xx

Does anyone have a picture of their aftercare leaflets? I'm thinking of getting some made for my clients xx

I have just written out the do's and don'ts from my OPI booklet into a word document with my branding at the top. Will just print them myself as they are just a little extra to remind clients of how to take care of their nails.

Latest posts

Back