When will the so called Xmas rush start??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate to say it but people are SKINT most people spend a lot more carefully now. What with the high cost of food and fuel there is little left for luxuries.

I am pretty full this week and next and then the week for new years eve but December has been a lot slower to pick up this year than last. It's like people are waiting till the very last minute to book (probably to see if they have any spare money) last year people were booking December appointments in November.

I think things will get better for everyone but it may take time unfortunately we are in the midst of recession

We just have to smile, carry on and work our butts off to keep and gain custom

Yes, I agree with the sentiments above. As an example, I have a friend who wanted gel nails (I don't do them), she asked me where she should go so I gave her the details of a fab salon I know not too far from her. Anyway, I spoke to her today and she said she wasn't going to get her nails done because she's skint and she'd rather come out with me and the girls for a few drinks on Saturday night.

People are making choices much more often now I think, it's either/or rather than both.

xx

Things are slow here as well. Last Saturday, I actually had the luxury of taking the day off. I haven't been able to take a weekend off during December since, well, ever. However, on Sunday I was booked 100%. Feast or famine....

Usually this time of year, I'm slammed everyday and people are on a waiting list to get in.

I think you are being a little hard on yourselves. I've not read every post but from what I've seen some of you have recently opened or opened within the year.

It takes a good couple of years to build a business, if not more and we are in the middle of a recession. It's hard for everyone including those with some money.

We have been fairly busy since end of November. Back to back most Thursday evenings, all day Friday and Saturday. Up to Christmas eve our Fridayd and Saturdays are full. Beauty is part time though. Only limited availability for the rest of the weeks.

At the moment quiet between Xmas and new year but confident this will change.

This will be our 3rd Christmas and its taken time to build up. I know its hard but your 2nd Christmas will hopefully be better than your 1st.

Don't lose faith.

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Hi,
I agree with Debbie...........it takes a couple of years to build a loyal trade which will become your 'bread & butter' clients.
All the extra 'tan & nail' trade at Christmas is the icing on the cake.
I don't know about everywhere else but in the next town, every new shop to open is a beauty salon. And to be honest, the surrounding area is saturated. There must be a lot of these salons in your position too.
I'm lucky, as I'm the only beautician on our small Scottish island - but that could change as a couple of local girls are at beauty college and could start mobile visits any time soon. So I don't ever take my clients for granted - in fact I often go the extra mile. (If I have time, I give them a lift home after a spray tan if it's raining:rolleyes: )
Hope you are not too disheartened. I had lots of quiet times too when I thought I'd made a mistake with my career..........but I wouldn't change it for the world now :hug:

It's definately odd this year. Very last minute bookings wise rather than in advance.

I am very busy, but my staff are either packed out or empty.
Retail is holding up very well tho, and gift voucher sales are good.

Had a conversation with a stylist who works for a well known chain in the main shopping centre. Their advertising and marketing is amazing. She just told me they were dead on Saturday, and they were getting loads of cancellations and no shows.

I think there are just more salons chasing fewer clients. Another of my clients works in the local supercuts, and told me that they were really struggling.

Chains don't usually have the well established uber stylists that are always full booked to tide them over, or feed a beauty therapist/nail tech with clients.

It's tough out there, people arn't spending so much on their credit cards like they used to, so we are all chasing less work. It really is survival of the fittest.

Both myself and the hairdressers i am in are doing pretty well.

The senior hairdresser can squeeze in about 4 wet cuts before christmas. The other 2 girls have plenty of room for more, but are much busier than usual.

I rent a room there and i'm pretty busy too. Fully booked to bursting 3 days a week, where i'm working faster and really struggling to squeeze everything in...mostly down to those clients that book a 1/2 leg and bikini, but when they come in also want underams, eyebrows and a lip wax too.

The other 2 days are fairly quiet, a reasonable morning, but nothing else. Particularly this Friday and Saturday, and Christmas Eve i have nobody booked in, so i may just take the day off :)

I'm finding only about half the usual amount of clients booked in advance and the rest were all last minute. I think people just aren't sure if they are going to have the money. I'm hoping this will happen for the days that are quiet at the moment.

I'm doing well moneywise, but it is nearly all treatment based. I haven't had many product sales outside of the norm and unusually, i have had hardly any gift voucher purchases...maybe next week when people realise they forgot so-and-so.

Keep your chin up ladies xxx

I agree with Debbie and Persianista, it is a really difficult time generally for everyone and it is likely to get tougher before things start to improve. I just sense that there are people out there who are newly started up that think that it will be busy just because of the time of year. With the amount of competition out there it is about establishing yourself and also proving yourself. It takes time to get a good reputation and a healthy client base. You have to be patient and canny, you also have to be able to see these times through, if you can and you do things right then things will improve as the months go by, not very comforting with Christmas here and bills and mortgages to pay, but this isn't something you can just get into and expect sensational results from immediately.

The trouble is if you can't stick it out or rely totally on the income from your business to survive you can only last so long before it gets to the point where you can't afford to carry on. It's sad but true.

I have no magic formula, it takes time, hard work, talent, a good business ethic and a bit of luck to become successful. There are so many talents needed to make it work. Some will get through this and thrive, others will fall by the wayside.

I don't want to sound negative, although reading back through my post it does appear to be a bit that way. I guess I am being realistic.

Edit to add: It's not just new businesses either, as has been said, some established big names are finding it tough too. Everyone has to keep at the top of their game, but this should be priority at all times anyway.

I have sold quite a few gift vouchers. So hopefully in Jan the clients will book and we can keep them as clients from then on.

There is the main beauty salon in our town, 2 others that rent rooms within hair salons but thats it. theres alway thre mobile ones aswell. Im thinking maybe a highstreet position would be better but then theres the rent and rates. My rent has been defered for a year and I get 100% rates relief fromt he council so at the mintue pay not rent or rates. I am scraping by obviously taking no salary for myself.

I have a few ideas up my sleeve tho!

Aww guys thank u so much! I know I just need to stick it out but I havent even had any luck retail wise!!

I spent a lot of money having these fancy posters done for the shop window, advertising a pamper package, eve taylor retail and sunjunkie retail, and gift vouchers but nothing!!! not one, luckily I haven't stocked up on the eve taylor and sunjunkie, would just order them in for clients but looks like I won't be ordering anything!!

I'm just hoping a lot of unorganised men come in on Xmas eve to buy gift vouchers for their other halves!!

I'll keep u all updated with hopefully some good news next week!!

M xx

Just to update!! I am now swamped. I had quite a few apps tonight for shellac/rockstar and tans.

The amount of times my phone had gone off asking for a last min app.I have my sons school play at 2.15 and was meant to be spending some time with him but I have to now rush off and do apps straight after.

Feel a bit guilty but I need the clients as I'm only new and the money for Xmas.

It is getting busier though which I am much happier. :) yay x

We have been busier today. Had a last min file and polish and took a booking for a borw and lash tint and eyebrow shape. Sold gift vouchers and had people in for fish pedicures! Hopefukly the rest of the week continues like this.

:)

On Saturday I was feeling rather depressed as I only had 1 person booked in for a tan next week (only started my business early last month so in very early days of getting myself established) then on Sunday I had 3 bookings for next week & Monday 1 more person booked in for an app & today I've had 2 bookings for tomorrow evening, 2 booked for Saturday & 2 booked for the 29th so I'm feeling a bit better now :) xx

Brilliant to hear you are all booking up and cheering up (unless you are in the same town as me haha bah humbug) keep up the good work

Girls, read newspapers and econom.articles . Next year will be even worse then this. Be perepared to the very very critical situation.

I am doing well, I've been open over 3 years now and it too time to build the client base.

My Best advice

Money - in the first few years keep your costs down to a minimum! Watch the purse strings very tightly - you'll often just be ticking alongz this is normal but consider every expense.

People - get out and make face to face business connections, view every person you meet as a business opportunity, a personal interaction makes far more of an impact that any advertising or marketing - everything relates to your salon and your treatments ... lol seriously even the man on the Tesco tills when he gave me a receipt I found a way to tell him and he asked for my leaflets because he wanted to give them to the rest of staff! I wouldn't say I'm an overly chatty or confident person but I am focused..

Focus -Which leads me on to focus (lol on a roll here)... focus focus focus make everything and anything about the salon... you are your best representative so sell the salon in every area of your life!

My mum cringes (shes not business focused) that when I have to go from work to events like sisters/nephews school events that I go in my uniform... and you would not believe the amount of people that stop me and want to talk about treatments! My new uniform as well as logoed on the front is having the salon number and website on the back

In the first couple of years the coping skills of resillience and determinanction and bounce a backability and creativity are what see you through the tough times, draw deep on these and you will get there

Girls, read newspapers and econom.articles . Next year will be even worse then this. Be perepared to the very very critical situation.

Although if the papers are to be believed we'll be rummaging in bins for food by the time the weeks out!

Personally I haven't noticed a huge downturn in business, I am on track to have improved on last years figures, meaning I haven't had a single year where I have taken less than the year previous. The one thing I have noticed that separates the local salons that have done well from those that have closed is quality of product and service. The bottom end salons using bits and pieces of whatever they can get cheap have gone and we're left with those using higher end recognisable brands. I think a lot of it comes down to being business minded and a bit savvy!

Although if the papers are to be believed we'll be rummaging in bins for food by the time the weeks out!

Personally I haven't noticed a huge downturn in business, I am on track to have improved on last years figures, meaning I haven't had a single year where I have taken less than the year previous. The one thing I have noticed that separates the local salons that have done well from those that have closed is quality of product and service. The bottom end salons using bits and pieces of whatever they can get cheap have gone and we're left with those using higher end recognisable brands. I think a lot of it comes down to being business minded and a bit savvy!

My sentiments exactly Martin. Not saying times aren't difficult but there are still opportunities to build and increase the business. We've had a fantastic year this year and will be doing everything we can to keep that going and improving in 2012 and beyond.

This actually makes me feel better. Was beginning to feel a little disheartened but reading all comments on this thread is helpful. We predominantly use brand names and use the full systems for each brand so it's handy to know, in that respect anyway, we are heading in the right direction. We constantly update our skills and add qualifications (with the possibility that I may be trying to run before I can walk) and I feel I have (hopefully) the cleanest and most inviting salon in our little town.
I know times are tough for most people at the moment but am determined not to give up. Like what has been said above, It takes years to build up a business and reputation, and we need to keep doing what we are doing the right way and constantly working to make our business better. I'm feeling a little bit inspired now. Thanks xx

Have you been on vista print? They are doing good deals on banners, call your local council first and ask the legalities on putting up signage like that, if it's ok then have a few done, put them by busy junctions, by schools, entrance's to estates so everyone going home has no choice but to see them, if you speak to te other shops on your row they might chop in to have a large one done you can string between street lights with all 3 of your business's logo's and names saying to come in for offers.

Offer the neighbouring shops a free treatment so people compliment and ask where it was done.
Give independent shops a card with a offer on such as spend £30 get £5 off to give out to customers.
Ask a friend to drive around your area the day after a leaflet drop with a megaphone telling people "this weeks offers" .
Free glass of mulled wine and mince pie with every treatment (alcohol free for under 18 obviously)
Hope these ideas help xoxo

Latest posts

Back