Which base colour/pre pigment for blonde extensions to go chocolate brown NO RED?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MsHson

Reaction score
Hi there

Okay so I have a question about base coating/ pre pigmenting my new extensions and my own hair to be the same colour. I'm VERY skint at the min and cannot afford a salon so will be using home box dyes from Tesco/Superdrug/Boots.

I'll start with the clip in extensions. These are 22" neutral in colour for home colouring (DIY dye). They are a blonde colour and I have been advised from the company I bought them from that they need pre pigmenting BEFORE I go to the dark colour I am after.

Now my own hair. I have been dying my naturally medium brown hair black for a few years now. It was quite dull and lacked shine so I decided that before re-dying and adding to the build up of colours I would strip it. I did this 3 days ago and my hair is now a dark brown with a coppery shine to it (not a bad colour at all but not what I'm going for)

The colour I want to be is a very dark chocolate brown, like Kyle Richards from Real Housewives of Beverly Hills :) BUT I REALLY DON'T WANT the hair to shine red when in sunlight. I know everyone says you must go bright red as a base colour especially on blonde but I'm dreading it coming through the chocolate brown.

I want it to shine but dark brown shimmering NOT red. Can I put a different base colour on? Like a dark purple/plum from the XXL home colourants maybe? Or would a bright or dark orange/copper blonde do the trick?

Could you give me examples of colours I could use please?

Any advise is more than welcome.

Thanks very much xxx

I am sorry but no professional Hairdresser is ever going to recommend a box colour from a supermarket.

You need to go to a professional hairdresser for a proper consultation, there is really no other advice to give here.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Okay then if a salon were to colour blonde hair to dark chocolate brown what base colour would they use? I'm just wanting to dye it at home as I am a student and have little money.

Thanks again

If you are looking for a cheaper option then you would be best to phone your local College and have a student there do your hair under the supervision of their lecturer using proper professional products.

We will not recommend box colours or tell you what pro products to use, that is not what this Forum is all about.

Hi thanks for the reply.

Okay then if a salon were to colour blonde hair to dark chocolate brown what base colour would they use? I'm just wanting to dye it at home as I am a student and have little money.

Thanks again

You are not going to get the advice you are looking for. As above you are not a hair professional. We will not advise on box dyes. We will not advise you on any processes. You need to seek a professional.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

If your hair is really important to you, and it sounds like it is. Save up and go get it done professionally.
Colouring extensions is risky enough without putting cheap home colours into the mix.
Its hard for a qualified professional to match up so its unlikely you'll get the colour you want and could damage the hair. Why didn't you get extensions that were already your colour? X

Latest posts

Back