White just above the smile line on natural nail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaynine

Reaction score
Ok, so every now and again I notice that some, the random one or all of my nails get small patches of white above my smile lines they don't grow out they fade away its not leuconychia from what I can tell because like I said it just fades away. It doesn't hurt or effect me or my nails in anyway apart from being able to see it.
I tried to take a pic but unfortunately all I have Is my webcam and it doesn't come out but what it looks like is when you accidently bend your nail back and your left with the mark.
I've had it for years and haven't noticed it on anyone else, anyone have an idea?:confused:

Anyone? anyone at all, or am I being stupid and you won't even dignify my question with a reply? :eek:

hiya, is it maybe if you ar4e wearing polish and peeling it off, and you may be pulling a little of your nail off along with it, or if you ar4e wearing enhancements,maybe along the same lines?? pulling at you natural nail?? x

hiya, is it maybe if you ar4e wearing polish and peeling it off, and you may be pulling a little of your nail off along with it, or if you ar4e wearing enhancements,maybe along the same lines?? pulling at you natural nail?? x
My nails are bare (have been for months), and I have it one one nail now. Doesn't seem to matter if I'm wearing polish (I don't wear enhancements as there's no good tech I've been able to find in my area).

So no one really knows?

So no one really knows?

Hard to tell without seeing it, but sometimes I've seen patches of surface dehydration look as you describe but usually when one has worn enhancements for a long time.

I've also seen areas like this on nail biters who have stopped biting and where the nail has re-attached to the nail bed.

I would guess that if it is whitish then it is an area that has become porous due to 'something' ... a bit of over filing, harsh detergent, prolonged use of polish etc. Only you can figure out what has caused it, but that is how it would manifest itself IMO.

Seems like very basic dehydration to me....

Do you wear gloves when washing up?

You should nourish both your hands and nails.

Use a good quality hand cream and a cuticle oil (Solar oil).

It's fab you have taken the initiative to ask, now it's time to act.

You will be amazed at how much better your nails can look if you actually respect them and feed them, we all spend some much time and effort on our faces, yet submerge and subject our hands to chemicals we dare not touch with our faces...... why not treat your hands and nails with the same kind of respect?

Latest posts

Back