white tips on before applying acrylic. isn't this cheating?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a1nails

Reaction score
I recently had my nails done by a cnd qualifed technician. She put white tips on before applying the white acrylic on the tip. I have always felt this is a bit like cheating as a hand applied smile line is not needed to achieve the look. She also doesn't do backfills because she said drills damage the nail. She does one or two infills and a rebalance and then I suppose does a full set all over again.

Is this common? I would like to be able to achieve a perfect smile line myself at some stage without any artificail help.

I use the white tips from NSI but only on nails that are long enough - I hate it when smile lines are really low down from these tips. I do find it cuts my time down, but I can do french on natural tips just as well - I just use them to reduce my time.

However, to be honest most clients have badley bitten nails and I have to do the smile lines myself anyway.

I found a really good tutuorial on here - cant find it at the moment, which shows you how to do the backfils really easy - helped me loads and I dont use a drill.

I recently had my nails done by a cnd qualifed technician. She put white tips on before applying the white acrylic on the tip. I have always felt this is a bit like cheating as a hand applied smile line is not needed to achieve the look. She also doesn't do backfills because she said drills damage the nail. She does one or two infills and a rebalance and then I suppose does a full set all over again.

Is this common? I would like to be able to achieve a perfect smile line myself at some stage without any artificail help.

I don't use white tips but not cos i think its cheating or lazy just cos i rarely get anyone who can carry them off...you need a nice long nail bed for white tips to look good.

As for nail drills damage nails.....:rolleyes: she could always use a file !!....and i am sure that with the proper training and experience nail drills are no worse than hand filing.

I think the real reason she soaks off and does a new set could be cos she cant do smile lines...only white tips...and as the nail grows the smile line need re-doing with white powder/gel....as she may not be able to do this she would have to soak off and start again.

The fact that she was trained by CND means nothing....she can be taught to a high standard but what she choices to do back in the salon is up to her...nothing to do with how she was taught.

everyone works differently and i am not saying her way is wrong....its not illegal to use white tips...or to soak off after 2 visits (although excessive soaking can cause natural nail damage)....its just her way and thats fine...i just tend to work in a more productive way..IMO :green:

If she is doing a french rebalance after a couple of fills, then isn't that creating a smile by hand..or have i misread? It doesnt make sense to me that she would be then doing a soak off..as she can rebalance the smile??
For techs who arent yet confident with thier smiles, then white tips are the easiest way..hopefully you have nail beds to die for and thats maybe why she opted for them?
IMO they can look great..but unfortunately they dont suit everyone.
She is however very misinformed that a e-file damages nails..it's the "fool behind the tool" whether it be a hand or electric file.

Thanks. would really appreciate that tutorial. I haven't been trained to use a drill yet, so would appreciate the hand filing backfill technique. The nails she put on me look fine and it is probably like some of the replies say, it does save time.

I think she pulled a woolly one on you if you paid Full-Price for Proper French..........Good Luck and lets know the Follow-up..............BrandiBam

whether you produce a smile line with white powder or a white tip the exact same principles apply - balance. One of the biggest problems is that so many people are still using white tips with stop well and only one smile line depth, and both casue white tips to have a bad press.

If you apply a sculpted pink and white without aesthetic balance it will look terrible just as if you use a white tipin the same way. However if you use well-less white tips you loose no length of the nail plate so just like a white powder tip. And if you use different smile depths you can custom to each client again just as you would with a white powder tip.

As for rebalances, yes you should be able to produce a perfect smile so you do not need to keep removing and applying new sets, but this should not stop anyone from using white tips if they so wish - just use the well-less ones

I think she pulled a woolly one on you if you paid Full-Price for Proper French..........Good Luck and lets know the Follow-up..............BrandiBam
I dont give my clients discount if i use white tips..i dont think anyone else would either??

whether you produce a smile line with white powder or a white tip the exact same principles apply - balance. One of the biggest problems is that so many people are still using white tips with stop well and only one smile line depth, and both casue white tips to have a bad press. I dont use a well less tip..i simply cut out a portion of the well..this way i can customize the depth of my smile to suit the client.
Do you mean from your experience techs dont bother to do any pre tailoring with the well..kinda whack it straight on mentality?

If you apply a sculpted pink and white without aesthetic balance it will look terrible just as if you use a white tipin the same way. However if you use well-less white tips you loose no length of the nail plate so just like a white powder tip. And if you use different smile depths you can custom to each client again just as you would with a white powder tip.
But not on nail biters, as that white tip..well less or not still has to be adhered to the free edge..which would still give a stumpy look..so a clear or natural tip..or sculpt would outperform any white tip in this situation?
As for rebalances, yes you should be able to produce a perfect smile so you do not need to keep removing and applying new sets, but this should not stop anyone from using white tips if they so wish - just use the well-less ones
i would probably use my white tips a bit more if they didnt come just in stark white..varying shades of white would be nice!:)

Latest posts

Back