White Tips with L& P System

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grainneh

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am just wonderng what your views are on using white tips with L&P instead of applying white powder to Zone 1 - am I the sinner of all sinners.....I am finding it hard to get a perfect smile line with white powder so I have been cheating and applying white tips .....

Has anyone anyt tips on what to do - and is it the ultimate sin?

Also any tips on NSI Balance Gel application??

I use white tips sometimes depends what's best for the client really. I must admit i really do prefer to do sculptured though.
I recommend that you read Geeg's tutorials on product control and brush control, that'll help with the elusive smile line.
Really though the the best thing you can do do is persevere and practice, practice, practice!
I'm sure some of the more experienced geeks will be able to help you with some advice too.
You'll get there!
HTH
K x

Thanks Krissy - I really just wish my nails were perfect and I think sometimes the white tips can look a bit fake - altho if they are short they can look ok and are good for flat nails!! I just wanted to get other peoples views on the subject!!!

i used white tips but i then had to get my client to have new tips applied every two months.
i use naturals now what i do is cut out the contact area like french tips apply then i use the natural tips smile line as a guide for my white l&p it is easier than you think this way, i also find that glitter powder such as ezflow boogie nights brilliant at first practising smile lines as the products is quite forgiving.
also the added bonus is that using white l&p the client can keep her nails on forever you just move the smile to follow the clients natural smile line which is seen on growth.
hope this helps but honestly just follow the smile line on the tip and you cant go far wrong i also work a tad wetter on the tip it stops the panic of not getting it done quick enough.
also as said read the tutorial it really does help
hth

Sorry to says this i think it is a sin

..When I was out last night I saw a set of white tips on a girl and they dont look as nice IMO

If you don't start as you mean to go on then it will never get any easier...go one get stuck in its not that hard when you get going, honestly...

Practice makes perfect, its tought but I am getting there slowly and the tutorial on this site is so helpfull...

how about using the white tips but instead of using clear on the tip use white so you have a good smile line to follow. this is a great way of getting some practice in...then when you are more confident with your smile lines you won't need the white tip as a guide.
hth

I always used white tips but for the last couple of sets ive been doing my own whites with not too bad smile lines, the tutorials have definately helped me a lot. I think white tips are easier for the initial application, but harder in the long run, ie when you come to rebalance with white powder its never as white as the tip so you get a line. I think its better to take the bull by the horns and just do white powder from the start. I think i did better smile lines when i stopped panicking and realised that it wasnt going to 'set' as soon as it left my brush, you do get quite a bit of time to adjust the smile if you need to.... x

i am like yourself granine, using white tips and pink, I have recently started putting white on when I have time and am finding it easier each time and therefor my confidence is slowly building. Keep trying we will get there

all the best and keep trying I will

Ann
vip nails

To white tip or not to white tip .
:| They are soooo easy and lazy to do . The only thing with them is how do you practise your smile lines. White tips are the easy answer. I personally prefer sculptured. You have to decide what is the best for you and your client but the key to smile lines is practise practise practise......

Jackie

Thanks everyone for your help - I think I will try and take the bull by the horns!! I've also stopped doing gels for this reason (imperfect smile line!) I will print off the tutorials and study them tonight ;-)

Grainne....I noticed your comment on this is the reason you stopped doing gels - I guess you mean the smiles...well did you know with that Brisa you can lock the white once perfected (10 secs under the UV lamp) and then move onto the pinks ...how fab is that

wow - well thats cool - I wonder is there anywhere in Ireland where i could get a trial pack - or even off the net ? Anyone know? Thanks Fab Freak!

Fab Freak said:
with that Brisa you can lock the white once perfected (10 secs under the UV lamp) and then move onto the pinks ...how fab is that
just curious ........ is that not true of all gels? I know I was taught to do this with my BioSculpture

Karen_SCV said:
just curious ........ is that not true of all gels? I know I was taught to do this with my BioSculpture
Yes you can "freeze" any gel for about 10secs under a lamp, so you can also biuld up your layers and do a final cure!!!

Amanda

French tips are far weaker than applying over blended tips.

Why? Most French tips end up being close to 80-90% of the final thickness of the extension edge. You do the math... which is stronger L&P/Gel or a tip?
That usually means that the French tip applications have to end up thicker to compensate for the weakness. That means MORE FREAKING WORK WHEN REBALANCING! on a side note... the more work during a rebalance... the weaker you make your enahancment... such a vicious cycle eh?!?

Not to get off topic but... as Amanda said, you can lock any gel as you work... just be aware that the more gel you layer on without fully curing the previous layer will dramatically increase the risk of undercuring your gel. UV light does not penetrate very far!

NSI French Fin nail tips have a slightly raised rim at the base. You use the rim as a guide when applying white powder and you have a perfect smile line each time.

the one thing that is a real problem with white tips is they only look good on decent nail beds.
i don't know about you lot but most of my clients don't fall into that category!
practise your smile lines, have some 1-1 this really makes the difference.
also, start practising with flawless mixes, as this disguises the shorter nail bed, rather than high lighting it like white tips do.
liza x

liza smith said:
the one thing that is a real problem with white tips is they only look good on decent nail beds.
i don't know about you lot but most of my clients don't fall into that category!
practise your smile lines, have some 1-1 this really makes the difference.
also, start practising with flawless mixes, as this disguises the shorter nail bed, rather than high lighting it like white tips do.
liza x
i agree with lisa this is why i had to ditch white tips, the only person i can get away with using white tips is me and thats about it.

I had started using white tips on my sister because the white colouring of her nail goes further down the nail plate than I can cut or file, and so it shows through a natural tip. I haven't mastered decent smile lines yet so was hoping to 'cheat' with some MTW, but haven't been able to get hold of any.
Is MTW the only product that can be used in this way or would a white gel polish work (or I believe Akzentz to their own version, but much more expensive?), or potentially even painting white with a polish and then buffing to remove shine before applying product, or would this stop the product adhering? I'm assuming it would but wanted to ask anyway.
The thing is, I've since noticed that although it's not as much on mine and my mum's nails, I can't file back far enough to remove all the white. I've used a camouflaging gel on my own nails and it just about covers it but I don't overly like the colour of the gel as it's too white and opaque for me personally.
Are there more opaque coloured tips that may require more blending that would cover this, or any other solutions people can think of (other than getting my smile lines better?). I prefer the sofer look of natural tips but the effect can get ruined on my own nails and they're a definite no-no for my sis. Luckily she has perfect neat nails that work with the white tips but mine aren't so grand. Was toying with the idea of making my own 'french' tips - white smile and free edge on a clear tip?? Might this work? (Although a lot of bloomin' faff!)
Help!!
Lol x
PS - yep, I know, doing my smile lines properly is the way to go, and that's my ultimate goal, but something to work in the meantime would be good! Cheers m'dears!

Latest posts

Back