Who are the experts?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mum

Reaction score
Having read a lot of threads and answered quite a few on this subject I thought I'd start a thread to get more opinions.

As professional nail technicians we are considered 'experts'. Clients pay for our services for this reason. But (you knew that was coming!) there seem to be quite a lot of technicians working who don't seem to consider themselves 'experts' due to the type of questions asked. This I can understand as 'newbies' and also when an unusual situation occurs bit there are others. There are many threads I don't answer as there is not one answer but an answer that would be slightly different in different circumstances.

A few things that I believe every nail technician should be able to do as a professional are:
-recognise every system (not the brand, just the system)
-be able to remove every system even if not fully trained in that one
-know when it's appropriate to maintain another's work
-recognise MMA and know how to deal with and how to advise/educate the client
-know the common contra-indications and contra-actions and how to deal with them

This is by no means exhaustive but I'd like to know other opinions on this. I used an analogy recently of going to a hairdressers with damaged hair due to poor colouring. You would expect the hairdressers to know what do do and advise wouldn't you and not send you away saying I didn't cause the damage so I can't repair it?

What do you think classes nail technicians as as 'experts'?

I love your analogy! After all, the nail plate is made out of keratin protein, just like hair.
I'm still new to this industry and don't consider myself an expert, however I do feel that most people on this site are... they help others, know what they are talking about and advise clients accordingly. I don't feel I could possibly become an 'expert' as such without more experience (dealing with more people, continuing to learn and train etc). I personally think that it depends on the situation. Geeg, or yourself, for example, I would consider experts in the field among many others. I could only hope to grow to be that experienced - and that's what I think it all boils down to. Experience makes you an expert (similar word, perhaps they are linked).

I really liked your post, and am confident that I can do everything you listed above... but that doesn't make me an expert by any means!

Thanks for making me think on this quiet Sunday afternoon. :)

Last edited:
In a month, I will have been licensed for a year. I've been doing nails for 9 months. I do consider myself a professional. An expert? Not exactly. And I probably won't consider myself an expert for a long while. When I can go a while without looking something up, or searching on Salon Geek, then I MIGHT consider myself an expert. I am my worst critic. So, I may never consider myself an expert. But, I will always carry myself that way around my clients. I really hate having to say the words "I don't know" to a client. They expect me to know.

I can take care of most problems my clients come to me with. But, there will always be that one client that takes you back a step and make you question what you really know about nails, science, chemistry, biology etc.

I absolutely agree with Ambur30 - the way you appear to your clients is extremely important. If there is something I'm unsure about, I wouldn't pretend to know, but would do my best to find an answer and get back to them. I think that is the professional thing to do and I'm sure any client would appreciate my honesty! :)

-know the common contra-indications and contra-actions and how to deal with them

Ok if these are what we need to know to be "expert" what is the answer, how do we recognize these things? Is it actually experience? Or are there tips you can offer?

Abba

I qualified in beauty therapy & nails in 2005 then went onto do further courses with cnd in 2006, the industry is changing all of the time, so even though I've been doing them for a fair amount of time I feel that I can offer advice to others but I also feel that others can offer advice to me also. I think that we are continually learning as things change all of the time as new trends come through! Xx

A few things that I believe every nail technician should be able to do as a professional are:

Having the confidence to do a good job (which is summed up in your points, but I think having confidence itself is very important, and accepting the fact that you will always learn new skills by sharing.

This is a very good area to discuss. Being able to remove every system - how would that work if you are only trained in manicure and not in acrylics? Would that be an exception? I am certainly not trained to remove acrylics - but maybe that should be included in basic manicure training.

I also think we all have to know our limits and not consider it a problem. I had a lady who had just had new acrylic nails done and asked me to shellac them. I had to refuse as I was just too scared that I would do something wrong and ruin her nails. Maybe there should be some cross over with the manicure course.

Maybe a true professional needs to know every system - ie acrylics etc. Perhaps there should be another name for someone who just does manicure, pedicure and shellac/gel nails - maybe 'natural nail technician' - thus we would all have our own scope of practice.

xx

Interesting posts :biggrin:

I suppose there are different degrees of 'experts' but I do think that a 'professional nail technician' should be an expert of some degree as that is why clients come to you

I don't think there is anything wrong with someone providing natural nail services only. Isn't this a manicurist rather than a nail technician? A manicurist needs to be an 'expert' in natural nails and know a whole lot more than their clients.

Sophiegees you were right to refuse to Shelac nail l&p enhancements as the removal would have wrecked the enhancements. I don't think manicurists should be expected to deal with enhancements other than 'professionals' should do their best to be aware of what is happening in nail services.

Going back to my hair analogy, not all hairdressers are trained colourists. Some prefer to concentrate on cutting and styling (I think NVQ L2 similar to a manicurist), some on colour and some on everything. I would expect a hair salon to have everything available though. There are few salons who only cut and even fewer that only colour.

Having read a lot of threads and answered quite a few on this subject I thought I'd start a thread to get more opinions.

As professional nail technicians we are considered 'experts'. Clients pay for our services for this reason. But (you knew that was coming!) there seem to be quite a lot of technicians working who don't seem to consider themselves 'experts' due to the type of questions asked. This I can understand as 'newbies' and also when an unusual situation occurs bit there are others. There are many threads I don't answer as there is not one answer but an answer that would be slightly different in different circumstances.

This is by no means exhaustive but I'd like to know other opinions on this. I used an analogy recently of going to a hairdressers with damaged hair due to poor colouring. You would expect the hairdressers to know what do do and advise wouldn't you and not send you away saying I didn't cause the damage so I can't repair it?

Valid points and i agree with them. However, i think that a lot of training is very basic. I know i didn't know half as much as i thought and was taught so much in my first salon job.

I am not a nail technician, just manicures and shellac. I did train in acrylics and gels, but a long time ago and i didn't love them. I wouldn't be able to recognise MMA and i don't offer removal.

It would be brilliant if someone offered a class, showing how to recognise the different systems and removals xx

Latest posts

Back