Who entered the Excel Comps??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moby

Reaction score
Hi Geeks!

I’m wondering who entered the Excel Comps this year?? I did (and I did AWFULLY! Lol!) But was still happy I tried! I’ve been waiting for a thread to come up about the comp… but are you gals shy about them….? Come on! I wana know how everyone did! :hug: I came 11th out of 16 :cry::cry::cry: for tip & overlay, liquid & powder! There, I was brave enough to say it! lol

I just had a few niggling questions and if you guys could critique the picture in my album please…. the quality hasn't come out great for some reason, sorry!
My model for L&P T&O was so lovely, she’s a friend from college but she had the tiniest fingernails! I did a test run and I thought that the square look looked horrible on her, so I tried a different approach! I just have such a problem with my C Curve in competition (and as you can see, my thumbs don’t match!)
One major problem I had was the smile line. Now. When we had a chance at the end of the comp to look at others nails, I noticed all these deep smile lines but some looked way wrong because you could see the natural nail underneath! (Hope that makes sense..? Don’t mean to offend any others nails btw, so sorry!)
Anyway, I had decided NOT to do a deep smile line because her natural nail bed wasn’t long enough, so I kept it soft. My point is - was I supposed to a deep smile line even though it wasn’t going to look right at the end??? I thought the whole point was to defo suit the nails?? Not to make a set that would suit someone with the right hands?!?!?!?
Well please give your honest opinions! Because I still love them anyway! :):):)

Oooohhh…. Also, how do you gals get the nerve to go up to the industry big boys (and girls!) and talk to them??? I’m not a shy person at all but when I saw Sam after the comp, I was like STOP RIGHT THERE DUDE!!!! LOOK AT THESE NAILS!!! CRITIQUE THEM!!! TELL ME I DID GOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDD!!!!!!!!!
But yeh…. I didn’t, I swear I think I ended up giving him a dirty look and then looked away!!!!…… Sorry! I really wanted to talk to you!!!
Mrs Sam (lol) is so easy to talk to!! :lol: xxx

Comp nails have to be in balance so you did the right thing in doing more natural smiles. I haven't time at the moment to have a look at your picture but will do later.

There are a couple of threads on Excel. Do a search for Excel.

I hope you got your score sheet after the comps and got the judges feedback - it is vital and they would have answered your questions too.

Well done for entering x:hug:

I entered i got a 1st a 2nd and a 3rd

would love to see a pic so that i can take a look and give you some tips xx

hi ya well done for going in for the comp, im thinking about doing it. but dont dont no if i have the bottle, was it scarey? i like the idea of constructive critisim tho, could help ironing out any creases or concerns.
xx p.s. do the do comps at olympia?
xx

i came 5th liquid and powder, one of my colleagues came 4th in the novice. it was very tight, 2nd, 3rd and 4th were tied in liquid and powder and had to be re judged. gutted i missed out! was really dissapointed, thought i would place. x

I came 3rd in tip and overlay L&P.

Really pleased with that result as I thought I had messed up and had to rush at the end to finish. I couldn't bear to look at my models hands and spent the day feeling a bit dissapointed. It was only after she got called up again to be rejudged that I gave them a good look over, only to see that they weren't as bad as I had imagined them!

hi ya well done for going in for the comp, im thinking about doing it. but dont dont no if i have the bottle, was it scarey? i like the idea of constructive critisim tho, could help ironing out any creases or concerns.
xx p.s. do the do comps at olympia?
xx

Olympia is the nailympics this is where people from all over the worl like germany korea etc come and compete so it is very hard, probably not the best one to do for your first comp, i am giving it another go this year and hope i have a btter time than last year :lol:

I entered Tip & Overlay on Monday as well, and that was my very first comp! I came 9th and was really pleased overall with how I did - I got some really useful feedback and am thinking of entering Gmex in October to see if I can improve my score......

Still, here's the pic of my nails..... http://www.salongeek.com/gallery/showimage.php?i=7728&c=505

I didn't do really deep smiles, I decided to work within my comfort zone but aim for consistency...... I do think square helps show off the c-curve though.

hth's

thank you for the advice on olympia, good luck to all the peeps who have got comps coming up xx

For some strange reason, I didn't take any pics, but I entered two comps.
Div 2 Free Form Sculpture - I came 6th
and
Novice - I came 3rd.

It was a great experience..... can't wait till next time

Latest posts

Back