Who provides a 'free removal' with Shellac service?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
May I ask, what price do you charge for removal (what is the discount if they remove themselves) and what do you charge for a removal kit?

I have never considered this option, but it sounds good.

£30.50 for Shellac.
£5.50 for removal.
£10.00 for Remove tube.
There are'nt any discounts. I just give them a choice of whether they want to remove it themselves or not.

Some clients have worked out that paying me £5.50 everytime they visit is more expensive than purchasing a kit. Saves on alot of time for me personally.

Last edited:
£30.50 for Shellac.
£5.50 for removal.
£10.00 for Remove tube.
There are'nt any discounts. I just give them a choice of whether they want to remove it themselves or not.

Some clients have worked out that paying me £5.50 everytime they visit is more expensive than purchasing a kit. Saves on alot of time for me personally.

Thanks!

£30.50 for Shellac.
£5.50 for removal.
£10.00 for Remove tube.

So why not just charge £36 for shellac removal included??

When you tell your clients that your going to charge them for removal when they come back. What do you think most of them are going to do? Try and save a bit of money?? And how are they going to do this?? Our worst nightmare pick it off!! Even if they buy a remove tube off you they won't be able to remove it like we do! The worst in when you've just booked them in for shellac with no removal and your fully booked all day and they've picked half of it off and then expect you to remove the rest as they couldn't be bothered to remove it correctly them selves! Now you can't tell me you haven't had one of those clients!!?! ;) lol

I decided to do a flat fee which includes 'free removal if having Shellac reapplied'.

This takes my price up to £20 (originally £18). I am also doing a mini hand massage after the treatment.

I really can't put the price up any higher as every salon in my area is £20 and under, so I am currently on the higher price range.

My other half says I should be undercutting even by £2 to entice customers, as people think with their wallets, predominantly and why would they leave a place they pay the same amount for and are happy with?

Now I'm in a bit of a tizz... My original thoughts were - yes, I charge the same as an established salon but I am highly experienced and people will be getting better value for money with me as they get their removal included and their complimentary hand massage.

I'm also doing an opening offer on my leaflet drop of 25% off first treatment so potentially nail clients will get their Shellac for £15 initially. They will then be wowed by the extra pampering they get (hopefully) and come to me.

Does this make sense or is my partner right? Should I be a little bit cheaper? Bearing in mind that I'm working from home and have no major overheads (his arguement)...

Please help! x

If everyone thought with their wallets where would that leave Waitrose?

If everyone thought with their wallets where would that leave Waitrose?

I agree with Lynn. We don't all think with our wallets. I refuse to shop at Tesco and Aldi, Lidl etc. as I just can't stand the atmosphere. Too stressful. I prefer a nice relaxed Waitrose any day. I would rather pay a bit more and get better quality, nicer staff and a better experience all round.

I choose a salon the same way. I dont want to be on a conveyor belt paying £5 less and getting treated like crap. Its meant to be a treat, a bit of a spoil yourself pamper. Definitely worth paying more for if you're going to be doing the mini hand massage at the end, a cup of tea in a china cup with a saucer. Lovely.

Don't listen to your other half, you're not selling car tyres!!!

So why not just charge £36 for shellac removal included??

When you tell your clients that your going to charge them for removal when they come back. What do you think most of them are going to do? Try and save a bit of money?? And how are they going to do this?? Our worst nightmare pick it off!! Even if they buy a remove tube off you they won't be able to remove it like we do! The worst in when you've just booked them in for shellac with no removal and your fully booked all day and they've picked half of it off and then expect you to remove the rest as they couldn't be bothered to remove it correctly them selves! Now you can't tell me you haven't had one of those clients!!?! ;) lol

Hi Amelia,

I did a bit of research with regard to including the price or not for removal around my area. I asked clients and friends. Most people said they didn't want the removal price to be included. They said they wanted to know what they were paying for. I know what you mean though. Plus, for some clients £36 might sound a bit scary for the initial treatment.

Most of my clients do still come back for a soak off, as they said they cannot be bothered to soak their own nails off. The small minority who do actually do a really good job (honestly!), as they were well trained by me. :D I remove the first set for them so they can see what the process is.

It does not matter what we do, there will still be some clients who will pick their nails off, whether we charge separately for removal or not. They are told of the consequences of picking off, so it is all up to them to be responsible.

Some other salons would just price for example: £20 for shellac and £25 for removal. Or what the majority of you are doing just go for £25. I'm just weird, lol!

Last edited:
I provide a free removal with a reshellac only if I applied the shellac.

If I didn't apply it, I charge £5 on top.

Removal only, I charge £15.

I also sell the removal kits but they aren't popular at all xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek

I decided to do a flat fee which includes 'free removal if having Shellac reapplied'.

This takes my price up to £20 (originally £18). I am also doing a mini hand massage after the treatment.

I really can't put the price up any higher as every salon in my area is £20 and under, so I am currently on the higher price range.

My other half says I should be undercutting even by £2 to entice customers, as people think with their wallets, predominantly and why would they leave a place they pay the same amount for and are happy with?

Now I'm in a bit of a tizz... My original thoughts were - yes, I charge the same as an established salon but I am highly experienced and people will be getting better value for money with me as they get their removal included and their complimentary hand massage.

I'm also doing an opening offer on my leaflet drop of 25% off first treatment so potentially nail clients will get their Shellac for £15 initially. They will then be wowed by the extra pampering they get (hopefully) and come to me.

Does this make sense or is my partner right? Should I be a little bit cheaper? Bearing in mind that I'm working from home and have no major overheads (his arguement)...

Please help! x

I am at least a good £5 more expensive than my local salons (more if they have rockstars/art - which they don't appear to charge for :/). Yes, they have enough (I assume) clients. But so do I.

Our clients, however, are different. Mine are the ones with more disposable income, who enjoy the experience of having their nails done, who want to have someone with experience and frequently updated training. They value my expertise and will happily pay for it.

The clients who think only with their wallets are not the clients you want; they will never be loyal to you because, as soon as the next lowest price comes along, they'll be off. You cannot build a business on bargain-hunters.

I agree completely with you all. And I love Waitrose. It rocks.

I'm just worried that starting out with prices that bit more expensive is not going to entice anyone in.

To be honest, though, , everything is scary just now!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I'm just worried that starting out with prices that bit more expensive is not going to entice anyone in.

From my personal experience and agreeing with what Linzi said charging more not less will attract an upmarket clientele. My client base is made up of Accountants, Solicitors & Managers as well as retired ladies who held the same positions when working. They appreciate excellent service and a relaxing environment and are willing to pay extra.

The other upside is they are more likely to follow aftercare and purchase Solar Oil from you too as they want their nails to look good & last.

My removal cost is built in to the price with the exception of removing other salons application where I charge per 15 minutes taken to remove.

Well don't be scared :wink2: don't belittle your skill and start as you mean to go on. There are techs all around me charging much less but it's me that is busy. Why? Because despite being more expensive they are getting a lovely service, nice conversation, a giggle (if they want one) a relaxed one to one environment where they're not looked down upon (their words not mine) and a lovely drink if they want one too. The amount of clients I have that nearly fall asleep on me at their appointment :D And I love it, means I'm doing a good job at making them feel totally relaxed! All of that comes at a price though which my clients are more than happy to pay. My prices are just about to go up too, still isn't scaring anyone off :wink2:

So it will be YOU that entices people, not your prices :hug:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I provide a free removal with a reshellac only if I applied the shellac.

If I didn't apply it, I charge £5 on top.

Removal only, I charge £15.

I also sell the removal kits but they aren't popular at all xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek

I am exactly the same. I don't mind removing for free when re-applying (If I had applied the last lot) but I'm sure not doing it for free.

I do retail remove kits very well though.

I charge £25 for shellac if they are having re-shellac, removal is included.

If its to take off altogether, and no application of shellac, then £10 with mini manicure.

Oh and just to add removal never takes me 10 mins.

My overall shellac service with removal is about 2 hours!
And that's working while I'm talking to client.

I feel that I'm very particular about the cuticles and my clients actually say after just the cuticle work they have never seen their nails so clean!

Even when I applied base coat really sparingly I still struggle with removal.

I feel that I'm very particular about the cuticles and my clients actually say after just the cuticle work they have never seen their nails so clean!

Wow, really? Maybe it would be worth having a course, just so you can increase your treatment time and have more clients in. That's a big chunk of time.

How long does just the removal take you?

It takes me longer than it should for removal and reapplication too as i take an hour. If it is just removal, i take 30 mins and include nail shaping, cuticle tidying and solar oil xx

2 hours is a bit steep, there is taking care and looking after your client then loosing money as it takes two hours. Could you get us a step by step wit times? So we can see which step is taking the longest!

For a re shellac I give myself 45mins I like to break it down to.. 15mins for removal, 15mins for PEP and 15mins from CND Shellac base coat to solar oil.

Just to add when I say FREE removal I mean the client sees it as been free but I've already factored inthe cost of removal but they don't need to know that! :)

Removal is priced into the service. I only charge for removal if tge clientbusnt gaving shellac re applied x

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

I've had the shellac training, when I went back to my educator she even told me how much time each step should take.

But I find it takes me at least 45 mins to an hour just for removal!
Am I looking after these clients nails too much?!

As soon as client walk in, I sit them down wrap nails,10-15 mins later remove, but I find the base coat doesn't come off as easily so I'm scraping it lightly with orange stick.
Sometimes have to re-wrap.
Then I put cuticle remover, file nails, go back to cuticle work.

I just do not know where I'm going wrong?

It sounds like you could be applying the base coat too thickly if you have to re-wrap.

I remove one hand and apply cuticle away if needed. Remove the second hand and apply cuticle away. Then I return to first hand and do cuticle work and file. Then same to second hand.

Then it's time to shellac. I'm certainly not the quickest as it takes me an hour with a hand massage.

Latest posts

Back