Who wears a mask doing enhancements?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Sylk

Reaction score
I used to laugh at the Nss nail bars wearing masks but now I wear one myself. The dust and odour slightly causes chest irritation to me even if it didn't cause this imagining those microscopic nasty chemicals going I to to my body

Freaks me out and rightly so these chemicals are not meant for entering the body.
So would anyone else consider this? Do you do this?
Only problem I'm finding is my glasses steam up wearing one :(

Also what mask would you recommend?

I wouldn't wear mask. I invested in the Purex table so don't have a dust or smell problem. But I do wear safety glasses

It's also worth mentioning, that while a paper mask may give you some protection from breathing in dust, it DOES NOT prevent absorbtion or inhalation of vapours, even though you may think it does. Only proper and adequate ventilation and working smart with your products will help you achieve that x

i also have one of the purex tables .... and an extractor in my salon ... and i wear a mask whilst rebalancing / refining liquid and powder or gel nails ... if i didnt im not able to breath through my nose for a few days !

kx

I wouldn't wear mask. I invested in the Purex table so don't have a dust or smell problem. But I do wear safety glasses

Fee, what do you mean by be smart with your products?

I open a window when using the liquid x

Glad I'm at least stopping dust getting in.

remember if you have a window open that can affect your products if working with liquid and powder :hug:

kx

This is copied from one of many of Gigi's posts regarding vapours and 'working smart'.

"You do not have to create odour with a normal L&P system if you work smart with it.

You know, it is so easy to minimise the odour to practically nothing that I can never understand what all the fuss is about! If you are getting allot of odour or complaints about odour ..... do the following.

1. Quit wiping the monomer out of your brush on the paper! Wipe on a pad that has been dampened with sanitiser instead and there will be virtually no odour. Wiping is the biggest factor that causes odour.

2. Always cover your dappen dish immediately after use.

3. Put all used paper and wipes in a lined metal container and empty frequently.

4. Transfer all monomer to the dappen dish with a pipette.

5. Follow manufacturers guidelines and install an extraction ventilation system.

Just doing these things will virtually eliminate odour in your working area. "

I use a dust mask and have an extractor unit when I am doing enhancements....
trying to take all the precautions I can .
I don't care what I look like...my lungs will love me for it.

I never used to wear a mask, then I developed a terrible allergy! My own fault as I didn't wear a mask for years, I started to wear masks but it was still in my clothes etc after a treatment. I don't care what anyone says but breathing in any dust can't be good for you, ok so you may not make much dust as you work smart but years of exposure can't be good. I no longer offer l and p due to this and a number of reasons, I may in the future but for now I don't x

I read this morning that one of our geeks has some information on their Facebook page regarding NSS, MMA and facemasks. It says that one of the 'clues' to determine whether a salon is using MMA is by seeing if they wear facemasks.

So judging by this thread, does that mean the information I read this morning is now incorrect..?

Yes. I think so. :D

Freaks me out and rightly so these chemicals are not meant for entering the body.
So would anyone else consider this? Do you do this?
Only problem I'm finding is my glasses steam up wearing one :(

Also what mask would you recommend?

The ONLY mask that can filter out the dusts properly is the N-95 Face Masks.
Here is a quote from scientific expert, Doug Schoon:

Nothing you can
buy will protect you from dusts better than
a high quality, properly fi tting dust mask.
These masks fi lter air as it enters the mouth,
removing even the smallest dusts from your
breathing air. Be sure to use only high quality
dust masks that are specifically designed for
use with dusts or look for masks with an N-95
rating. Both types are far more effective than
fl imsy, surgical/doctor’s type masks, which are
not designed for dusts and should not be used
in salons. When properly used, a high quality
dust mask provides excellent protection from
dusts, but will not block vapours and are not a
suitable replacement for proper ventilation -
which is something every salon needs.”

Hope this helps.

I read this morning that one of our geeks has some information on their Facebook page regarding NSS, MMA and facemasks. It says that one of the 'clues' to determine whether a salon is using MMA is by seeing if they wear facemasks.

So judging by this thread, does that mean the information I read this morning is now incorrect..?

Yes. I think so. :D
Hmmmm spreading lies and half truths to try and blacken the opposition....very underhanded

It also says another 'clue' is 'The nail technician often cannot or refuses to speak any English therefore unable to answer your questions in relation to which products they are using.'

I have taught a very talented Vietnamese girl in my class before. She doesn't speak much English but she is now a CND tech and has several CND certificates on her walls. She is also a Master Painter.

Does this mean she is using MMA too?
CND MMA maybe?
Er..... No. :lol:

Just some true facts for geeks to know:

- MMA comes in a liquid form and not powder. It is pretty hard to get hold off and the only way to 100% determine if it is MMA is by sending off a substantial sample to a lab to be tested. It is not possible to determine if it is MMA just by feeling, seeing, smelling and imagining it.

- More often than not, the Liquid & powder NSS uses are just cheap products they have imported directly from overseas. It may not be a premium grade product but it also may not contain MMA. Many NSS salons actually use big brands like OPI.

- Face masks are used in these salons because of the frequency these technicians have to breath in dust in their very busy salons; Not because they want to protect themselves from dangerous vapours and harmful chemicals we assume they use in their salons.

Face mask are also a extremely common way of life for the South East Asians because of the fear of spreading germs and diseases. Many people in Asian countries wear a face mask on a daily basis with something as little as a common cold to prevent spreading germs. It is classified as NOT POLITE to not wear a face mask if you are ill. Culture differences. Yes.

I understand and respect that we are all passionate about what we do on here, but it would be great if you are posting warnings about certain subjects to make sure your facts are correct before posting.

Incorrect facts will only lead to rumours and unfair judgement.

Last edited:
I make virtually no dust as I work.

Again, working smart with you products can virtually eliminate dust from your working space. We always teach how to eliminate dust and odour from your work space, on CND classes.

I have never had a need to wear a mask in 30 years of working with nail products and never suffered from any side effects at all ( and trust me, I worked back to back day in and day out for years at my nail desk) despite working with ALL systems.

I had great teaching ... I learned from almost day one how to minimise dust and odour and I learned everything there was to know about the chemistry of my products. It only takes good training, knowledge of COSHH and good techniques.

I would never describe the products we work with as nasty. Even saying that shows a lack of understanding and even belief in what you are doing. Why are nail products nastier than hair products, eyelash products, beauty products or working with food in a kitchen? Some still have allot to learn. It's all out there.

Latest posts

Back