why do gumtree hate me?!! :-(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banannarama

Reaction score
hi geeks,

i'm still pretty new here and hope im posting this in the right section...

anyhoo, here is my problem... i'm a mobile beauty/massage therapist in glasgow and have been using gumtree for the past few months to advertise with no problems at all (and with some success) until very recently... now for some reason they are refusing to post my ads and send me a very general e-mail detailing points that i may want to change i.e. deleting pictures (there are none) stating qualifications (i do) stating that i offer a non-sexual service (i state this and i obviously do NOT offer this) etc...

this has really thrown me "confidence wise" as there are actual prostitutes advertising on the site masquerading as "massage therapists" (using pics too) and they seem to have no trouble posting ads...

has anyone else had this problem? i'm really getting paranoid! :Scared:

Is someone reporting you? Like a competitor maybe or can you actually not even get ads on there in the first place?

Phone or email them directly...that should get it sorted

my ads were up, then down, then i was told to change something and repost (remove a picture of an ear with a hopi candle in it!:rolleyes: as they did not allow body parts)... fair enough i thought,(but a bit bizarre given that as i type this there are photos of a gorgeous girl posing in a seductive way offering "uniquely fun" massage/"hot tub to revel in" blah blah) so i did and i reposted but theres still something wrong with it? when i contacted them the person who replied said it was just the photo of the offending ear :irked: and i should have no trouble but that was several days ago and i still cant post and keep getting "on hold" messages... i have my own wee site and my ads are totally professional so i just don't know where i'm going wrong? grrrr xxx

totally agree. gumtree isnt worth the hassle. the people have replied to my ads have either been nutters or a complete nightmare.

hi geeks,

i'm still pretty new here and hope im posting this in the right section...

anyhoo, here is my problem... i'm a mobile beauty/massage therapist in glasgow and have been using gumtree for the past few months to advertise with no problems at all (and with some success) until very recently... now for some reason they are refusing to post my ads and send me a very general e-mail detailing points that i may want to change i.e. deleting pictures (there are none) stating qualifications (i do) stating that i offer a non-sexual service (i state this and i obviously do NOT offer this) etc...

this has really thrown me "confidence wise" as there are actual prostitutes advertising on the site masquerading as "massage therapists" (using pics too) and they seem to have no trouble posting ads...

has anyone else had this problem? i'm really getting paranoid! :Scared:

Hi I had a problem too with the Leeds one Somebody had complained about me and said my business was fake .....I was furious especially with some of the adverts allowed on their ......I took it as maybe some one who was offering the same service as me was making it hard for me to advertise on their.

I contacted gumtree by email and asked specifically what the problem was and we sorted it out.

But I don't think I would like to advertise on their now with all the different people battling it out for £10 pound Nail Extensions £10 Spray Tans....I have also had a lot of strange calls since posting on their so its not for me

Thanks

Angela

my ads were up, then down, then i was told to change something and repost (remove a picture of an ear with a hopi candle in it!:rolleyes: as they did not allow body parts)... fair enough i thought,(but a bit bizarre given that as i type this there are photos of a gorgeous girl posing in a seductive way offering "uniquely fun" massage/"hot tub to revel in" blah blah) so i did and i reposted but theres still something wrong with it? when i contacted them the person who replied said it was just the photo of the offending ear :irked: and i should have no trouble but that was several days ago and i still cant post and keep getting "on hold" messages... i have my own wee site and my ads are totally professional so i just don't know where i'm going wrong? grrrr xxx

I regularly use gumtree and also have this problem with some ads. I just delete the ad, repost another one and if it happens a second time I change some of the wording and change the picture I'm uploading and this often seems to do the trick.

I've actually had a lot of business in my salon from gumtree but to deter the creeps I stipulate that we do not provide any sexual treatment. My friend is a mobile therapist and she does find she gets a lot of men phoning asking for extras even when she mentions it's not a sexual service so I'd watch out for that.

But as I say I get a lot of business from gumtree and I also link my website to my gumtree ad and this generates a lot of web hits.

Best of Luck :D
X

I am convinced they do this with a lot of folk to induce you take out a paid for ad. I had a similar problem - I complied with their rules but still got bumped off their site. When I decided to pay for an ad - low and behold - there was no problem with my post - even though it was identical to what I had submitted previously. Honey you are just coming up against the harsh realitites of "there is no such thing as a free meal" Good luck with your business. xx

Strange, I have been using Gumtree for ages and never had a problem....I get 95% of clients from there and have found it very good for advertising, somehow i end up on the first page of google with it! I hope mine doesn't act up, i'd go bankrupt!!

I've also used Gumtree for several years and never had any problems. I think in about 4 years I've had about 2 dodgy phone calls from men, but that's about it. Otherwise it's done wonders for my website, getting me to the top of the Google listings etc.

HOWEVER!! My other half is a personal trainer, and he's tried to use them to post several ads...every single time he's come up against the idiots that run it, telling him he's not allowed to advertise a service...!! How does that work?! Also that he's not allowed to post a professional advert, and that his ad is not "relevent" to the website...All a complete load of rubbish. So he won't use it any more, understandably.

I think it's got worse over the last year or so...perhaps try seeking out other free websites to advertise on.

geeks!

as per usual, your advice has been priceless... (especially glad to hear from some glasgow gals who had trouble! i thought it was just me!) anyhoo, i asked them to read my ad and its since been reposted... but i do agree that it has become kind of a seedy place to post recently - which is crummy because i got some great business from there! grrr!

xxx

Latest posts

Back