Will perms make a comeback?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itsahairthing

Reaction score
Q - Will perming make a comeback?

I have been in the trade for many years now and have been told many times that perming is making a comeback but to date...it has not.

What's your thoughts?

It's a hair thing
The Scissor Experts!

From my experience in the past month, I have done 4 perms on "younger" clientele, comparing to 0 in two years!

When we opened our salon couple years back I kept reading they were making a comeback. We don't get many requests for them to be honest. Those that do enquire are really looking for more of a wave or relaxed curl as obtained with ghds or big hair without the curl, if you know what I mean. Have to see if we get more requests as time goes on but my daughter hates them lol

from Debbie's HTC Sense

Perming is sexy! I love to see a woman with curls....(on the head)

Hiya
Like taggyboy said the look they are wanting to achieve can't be achieved by perming. They are very loose curls and are just too defined and sleek, perming just doesn't give you this result. I do perms on a regular basis but only on the old lady shampoo and sets that are wanting thier hair not too budge for a few weeks and the occasional middle aged lady trying to cling on to some of their 80's youth. Yea to sum this up no lol too many other ways of creating the looks on a more non permanent basis x

I don't think so. Not many hairdressers can perm well nowadays.

I don't think so. Not many hairdressers can perm well nowadays.
Ahh but if they do then those of us who are good at perming will be raking it in! Many stylists are scared of perming. Prob as they don't have much experience in them.

Not perms I don't think but we are getting shampoo and sets for the younger generation!! Have found it a really great way of getting the beach curl look on long hair

I do about 2perms a year, but now it's not compulsory to complete perking in your qualifications, all our juniors that have qualified have never done a perm, so they are definitely phasing it out!!
Unless they invented a big barell curl perm it won't last!

Yes the perm is returning big time on the Paris catwalk next year and I think to be a hairdresser you should all know how to wind those rods and to a perm. One of my clients went into a salon and asked for a perm and not one of the stylist knew how to do a perm and turned her away. I ask you a hairdressing salon not knowing how to do a perm. In college they give you a choice out of perming or plaiting module most girls choose the plaiting. Plaiting a child could do and I know what I'd rather learn on the basis that I want to know the whole spectrum of hairdressing.

I know, it's crazy that perms aren't taught. At my college the diploma did perming but nvq had taken it out of the course-go figure!?!
X

They can still do it as a module, but have trouble finding models.
Even if they had a bit of training, unless you practice it, you would be very slow and ham fisted winding, and not expert or confident with the nuances of perming such as tension.

I think it will die out of its own accord, a bit like backcombed sets have.

Aaahh its such a shame, if anyone needs a perm send them to me - i'd love to do one again.
no fish hooks, good even tension and lots of small sections ( *dreamy look in eye - remembering her youth!!) foaming up the neutralizer with that spongy thing.:wink2:
When I trained, colour was just about all over tint - regrowth, cap highlights and for those of us who were good enough - a few easimeche. BUT perming - well we studied that 'til our fingers bled (slight exaggeration) alkaline perms, acid perms, hot perms, spiral, piggy back,stack, roots, ends.
Maybe, i should approach salons for a job stating that I can be the perm technician and I love cutting? (hate, hate, hate colouring!):Scared:

I would love a perm but have no idea what one I have very long thick blonde hair would it come out ok and last?

I really hope they come back as I LOVE winding perms (how sad lol) , I did a perm a month ago, 1st time i'd been asked in 3 years :-(
Im with Penners on this one i'd be a perm tech :))))

I start my nvq level 3 in sept and ive just received the course content...I get to Learn perms...yeay, I'm genuinely excited..got no idea why as I know I'll prob never have any clients that want it!

Never!!!!!!!!!

Emma- tactic , have you natural blonde hair! Sure there is a perm for you

i hope not :lol:

Latest posts

Back