Working as a Nail Tech in OZ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainbow Bright

Reaction score
Can any of you lovely Geeks in Australia tell me what the requirements are for working as a nail tech over there i.e. do you have licensing laws etc similar to some states in America?

We are probably emigrating early next year and I'm just trying to find out as much as I can. I currently work mobile over here, so would probably be looking to do mobile or a home salon.

Hey Rainbow, where do you think you will be moving?! What licensing laws in the states are you enquiring about?!

Oooh how exciting! Where abouts are you moving to?

I am moving to Australia in August this year so would also love to hear from any lovely ladies who could help/advise about requirements in Sydney NSW.

I intend to work from home or mobile doing Shellac, Minx and Spray Tanning :D

Not sure where yet - it depends where my husband will get work, he's in the construction industry and there are quite a few contracts he could be considered for.

I have just seen it mentioned in a few threads by geeks in America that they have to have certain qualifications and have licenses etc, was just wondering if it was similar in Australia. Will I just be able to go over and get set up with insurance and then I'll be good to go?

I work from home and had to notify the local council re: running sml business from home. Then I got public Liability insurance. Registered business number etc.

There are no formal licences and regulations that apply directly to becoming a beautician.
However, there are certain licences you may require in order to perform specific tasks while running the business:

• Guidelines on Skin Penetration. Skin penetration operators or those who carry out a skin penetration procedure must notify their Council/s of the address of their premises. Skin penetration operations include procedures such as acupuncture, electrolysis, waxing, tattooing, body piercing, and blood glucose and cholesterol testing.
Hope this helps!

Thanks Lozenja :hug:

Amazing!! Myself and my partner are also moving to Australia!! We're going for a visit this November to decide whether we wanna move to Perth or Melbourne, then we will go Jan 2014.
It'd be great if we find any info out to post it back on this thread as i'm hoping to run my own nail business also :)

I'm hoping to speak to some of the nail systems at the beauty show next Sunday to see if they have a presence in Oz & if the certificates are recognised there.. I know that CND, NSI & Young Nails are recognised over there though!!

x

Blimey its all go in OZ ! My hubby has just flew to OZ to check out his new job & fingers X we all move to Queensland very soon.

From the lady he is staying wiith she has said most people over there arent accustomed to Mobile Technicians & that everything is done within the Salon... Finding out new stuff everyday so very interested also on what anyone from OZ has to say on the subject of licenses etc ...

I have already sent my certificates to Bio Sculpture Queensland & they have set things up so everything is ready for when I arrive. Bio Sculpture is very much out there in OZ so thats good news for me :)

Thanks Lozenja :hug:

No probs... ps Most people in Perth get acrylics and Shellac. I do bio-gel but I have to educate most of my clients what it is... They all think it is acrylic with gel coating thanks to nss.

Mobile is hardly worth doing unless doing a group as Perth is too spread out. (Urban sprawl) You would lose too much time i think.

All the best!!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Whatever qualifications you have from the USA will be fine to transfer here to OZ.

We like many countries have minimal regulations surrounding our industry as to what training you must have but in saying that, to make yourself a successful tech and have a successful business/salon, clients expect us to have training and be fully qualified.
We also have the same issues here with NSS and our industry is fighting it all the time.
Go check out NailZoo on YT and on his channel you will see many current affair stories from our 2 top current affair programs on NSS.

I'm in Brisbane (Qld) and I know in my area, mobile is not a big thing and the techs that I know who have tried to make a go of it, can't. I think our clients are like the 'get out of the house' type.
I have a home salon but my clients are still getting out of their own home and having that special treatment done and they love it.
Shellac is just taking off but to be honest, it's not really Shellac as such, it's SOGP in general.....more the 14 day, chip free, instantly dry mani, not the brand as such but many of the NSS are trying to jump on the bandwagon here and are using the reputation and good name of Shellac and offering a SOGP service that is not Shellac but a cheap import from God knows where.

As long as you abide by your states health regulations, be qualified and provide a good healthy salon with great services, then you should be right:)
If you are looking at starting a home salon, you will need to talk to your local council and see what their rules are as they all have different rules when it comes to having a home business, no matter what it is.

I hope this helps:)

Any of you are welcome to PM me if you want to chat in private about anything:)

Wow, Wooshka! Thank u so much for all the tips & info! My head is running with questions so when it slows down I'll probs have lots to ask (hope u don't mind!!) :)
Just wanted to post a thank u for now, all these extra pieces of info will make our lives so much easier when we move!!

x

Wow, Wooshka! Thank u so much for all the tips & info! My head is running with questions so when it slows down I'll probs have lots to ask (hope u don't mind!!) :)
Just wanted to post a thank u for now, all these extra pieces of info will make our lives so much easier when we move!!

x

Your welcome:)

Like I said, if you want to PM me, you can:)

You will love it here in Australia, it's a beautiful place.

Whatever qualifications you have from the USA will be fine to transfer here to OZ.

We like many countries have minimal regulations surrounding our industry as to what training you must have but in saying that, to make yourself a successful tech and have a successful business/salon, clients expect us to have training and be fully qualified.
We also have the same issues here with NSS and our industry is fighting it all the time.
Go check out NailZoo on YT and on his channel you will see many current affair stories from our 2 top current affair programs on NSS.

I'm in Brisbane (Qld) and I know in my area, mobile is not a big thing and the techs that I know who have tried to make a go of it, can't. I think our clients are like the 'get out of the house' type.
I have a home salon but my clients are still getting out of their own home and having that special treatment done and they love it.
Shellac is just taking off but to be honest, it's not really Shellac as such, it's SOGP in general.....more the 14 day, chip free, instantly dry mani, not the brand as such but many of the NSS are trying to jump on the bandwagon here and are using the reputation and good name of Shellac and offering a SOGP service that is not Shellac but a cheap import from God knows where.

As long as you abide by your states health regulations, be qualified and provide a good healthy salon with great services, then you should be right:)
If you are looking at starting a home salon, you will need to talk to your local council and see what their rules are as they all have different rules when it comes to having a home business, no matter what it is.

I hope this helps:)

Any of you are welcome to PM me if you want to chat in private about anything:)

Wooshka thank you for this info. Im moving to Sydney in August and currently work from home so wanted to do the same in Australia... Cant wait! Im sure I will have lots of questions so it wld be lovely to chat again if you don't mind :)

Sent from my LT15i using SalonGeek

Always Smiling, of course we can chat:)

Just fire me off a PM when you are ready.

Latest posts

Back