Worn Out!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn Elderkin

Reaction score
I own my own salon and have built it up over the last two/three years. I have recently found myself working 13 hour days 7 days a week and have now worn myself out totally. If I never set foot in my salon again I think it will not bother me!!!:confused:

I am going to take 2 weeks off sick and hope this does not damage my reputation too much.

I just cannot say no!! If I say sorry I am full for the next week clients badger and badger me until I fit them in at 8am or 9.30pm!!!

How do I detatch myself from my clients and get some control back? I treat them all with such passion and I suppose I think they cannot do without me but know that is not the case.

The straw that broke my back was Saturday. Client did not turn up - phoned to ask if she had forgotten - she had - no apology - nothing!! Just said ok well then I shall come tomorrow at 3 (tomorrow being a Sunday like I dont have a life!!!!)

What have I done wrong??? How do I get normality back???

Thanks in advance
Exhausted:zzz:

hi ya, firstly welldone for being so busy and building up your clientele.

do you have other staff that work for you?

at least then you could off load some of the work load of to another member of staff, if you havent got any staff you should seriously think about it. cos it sounds like have more than enough to cope with.

you should have on your pricelist opening times and stick to them. its hard as ive not long started up and you want to please people. but it will make you ill if you dont have (me time). you dont see blockbusters staying open 24hrs just so you can get a movie at 3 in the morning, so clients shouldnt expect it from you hun!

encourage your clients to book in advance to avoid dissappoint and have a cancellation list too.

i used to be booked 12 wks in advance in one salon i worked in, but it makes people book.

i hope this has helped just stay strong and stick to your guns

kels xx

You need to get tough!! You can still be tought yet keep your friendly manner, but to be honst it sounds like you need this break because in your present state you might not feel storng enough to take this new tough stance.

Take your break, make sure you leave notices, andswerphone recordings etc so all your regulars know what;s happening. When you return (hopefully refreshed and full of motivation!) use if as a little re-launch. Do some leaflets with your opening hours on, and make sure you dont go over those hours!

Clients can be very cheeky, and if you've done it once, they will expect it all the time. For those clients that umm and ahh until you offer them unsociable hours, just stand your ground. Say something like "Ok Mrs Smith, your appointment will take approximately 1 hour, my opening hours are xxx, and within those times my next available appointment is xxx, is that any good for you?". If a client comes straight out with it and asks you to work over just explain that the salon is closed at that time, then change the subject by saying "I could see what's available the week after for you?".

To be honest I think if you take the break and wind down you will come back re-charged and ready to tackle the liberty-takers! Also, if you are running a busy salon have you considered taking on extra staff? this way you could take a regular break and concentrate on running the management side of your business.

God luck hun, I hope all goes well.

p.s - get tough on no-show clients! If your clients has left you sitting doing nothing, and I'm sure you will have turned other business away on the fact that you were expecting her to arrive, why should you do them special favours like opening up on Sunday? In that situation I would have told her that she would need to pay a cancellation fee before you can re-bookher, and that since you are very busy you wouldnt be able to see her at short notice, she will need to take the next available appointment. Sometimes you will lose a client this way, but it;s a bit like separating the chaff from the wheat, you dont need clients who do that to you!

Last edited:
Firstly, very well done for building up such a great business. You have clearly given every inch of yourself but sadly not taken care of "you". If you wear yourself so thin then you can't give your best.

You need to TAKE CHARGE of your business.
1) Stick to opening times except for very special occasions. My opening times are limited by by planning permission anyway.

2) Take the excellent advice given already about taking appropriate appointments. If clients don't like it then so be it. I think clients will respect you more if you treat yourself with more respect.

3) Take on a stylist on a rent a chair basis or % and ease the load. This is less stressful than employing someone.

4) Accept that you are only person and can only do so much. if you want to keep your practice small; be selective with your clients and give a good service to those and allow yourself some time too.

I could go on and these rules apply to any business.

Take care and don't allow pushy clients to ruin your business after such a lot of hard work.

ditto to everything.

I bet its only some clients that take the mick though, but you did need to be more assertive.

Take your break (well earned).
Write up a newsletter and send it out to all clients, in it state that:

a) you are now working to capacity clients therefore if they want a certain appointment they should book in advance to avoid disappointment

b) your opening hours are non negotiable and you will be working Mon - Fri 9.30 -5.30pm (or whatever you do)

c) due to having a full quota of clients, cancellations must be made 24 hours in advance so that you can give another client the appointment, if not adhered to, a charge will be made.

Then pop a couple of chatty things in, like your next holiday dates, a special offer or a new treatment, etc, then post them off. If you are too tired to do this, pay a friend or a friend's teenager to do this for you, ie writing out the envelopes, sticking stamps in etc.

remember, clients are not that loyal, they expect far too much of us and can off us at a whim, if you asked a client to get up on their day off to do you a favour, would they?

You could play the cheeky ones at their own game by saying

'yes I can work extra after hours but I charge double for that becasue its my free time' they won't be so keen then to take the piss.

I have done pretty much everything you have done when building up my clientel - and because you bend over backwards for them - they will remain pretty loyal albeit a pain in the arse.

But what you will risk is 'burn out' where you can't switch off from work - resulting in feeling really trapped and down.

Your own health and well being is far more important than worrying your dropping loyal mrs smith in it for a do. It sounds like you need some help to take the stress from you a little.

xx

I think you need to consider going up on your prices. Do this until you "whittle" your clientele down until profits are up, and you can work less. Keep doing it until you are where you need to be. I like the cancellation policy idea, too.

When you give so much of yourself so often people start to expect it. If you also offer service with a smile alongside they think its what you WANT to do too!

I would only target your best clients who value you with any marketing and if others dont like it because you wont jump through hoops for them let them go somewhere else.

Be tough, I guess thats not easy but see it as a business plan to increase profit and job satisfaction. Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back