Wrists of fire!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiksilver_206

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I've recently started working as a spa therapist and I am doing around 5-6 massages a day, alot one after another! Can anyone recommend what to do about avoiding wrist ache, back ache etc! Obviously keeping good posture but what about my wrists? Thanks.

5-6 a day?? :eek:. I cant really suggest anything but that aint good, i got repetative strain from doing massages so can no longer do them cos my wrist gets sooo painful

I think there maybe work directives for how many you are supposed to do in a day im sure you are supposed to be rotated to do other things.
You will get used to it as you get stronger but you could also do yourself permanent damage so be very careful.
Find out about no hands massage and also get to see an osteopath or chiro yourself now and again.They can also sort your wrists out they dont just do backs.

If you want to know about no hands massage or injury prevention massage, you need to pm Fozzyo, he does training courses in it.

I don't know a lot about massage but i do know if you are doing that many in a day you need to be exercising and stretching your wrists, arms, shoulders, neck and back in between each client otherwise short term you are going to be in agony and long term it will render you where you cant do them at all hth

hi

i used to work in a spa and had this problem.

you need to strentghten your wrists and forearms. it is key, i always thought i had strong arms and although they look strong they are not. getting little wrists weights is ideal.

your posture is key too, it all affects your whole body,

you do get used to the amount of massage too!

becki xxx

Hi

Are you using your bodyweight (not muscle power which will give you injuries) and the correct walk stance? The height of your couch if it's not right for you will give you backache.

Deb379

as already mentioned, learn some 'no hands' techniques and learn to apply pressure to the body via your body weight NOT your wrists and hands and thumbs.

then start taking chromium with collagen (holland and barrats).

exercise your hands and wrists before you start massaging.

drink plenty of water.

ask to do other treatments not just massage, and if they kick up a fuss mention REPETITIVE STRAIN DISORDER - theres been alot in the news about this lately.

if they still insist on you doing that amount of massage without breaking it up LEAVE!

if you look at my treatment list I do a lot of different types of massage, energy healing, reflexology, facials. I did this partly to prevent RSI.

Last year I went to the doctors as my hands were acheing and I was worried. He told me that I didn't have RSI but I should listen to my hands, and when they say they are tired, they are tired! I had already enrolled onto a hands-free massage course, and it was the best £70 I had ever spent.

I would def agree, you need to do other treatments. I certainly wouldn't want to do that many massages a day, as said in the previous post you will be prone to ri's plus it's quite tiring for you too. You need a break for your sanity as well lol

Deb379

Hi everyone

I've recently started working as a spa therapist and I am doing around 5-6 massages a day, alot one after another! Can anyone recommend what to do about avoiding wrist ache, back ache etc! Obviously keeping good posture but what about my wrists? Thanks.

What were you hired to do? Just massage or perform other treatments as well? Or is all the massage work just being put onto you while others are doing their own preffered treatments?

I'm purely a massage therapist - qualified to do other things but only perfrom massage at the moment. I use my forearms a lot when I can but I mainly do remedial and sports massage.

Latest posts

Back