yellow nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DANY

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Wondered if anyone has any suggestions. I tend to always use a nail hardener / strengthener as otherwise my nails are very weak.

Anyway, for some time now, my nails have had a yellow colour to them - more towards the top than the bottom. Could this be from the hardener I use as I've heard that nail polish can stain nails, could nail hardener do the same?

Or is there anything else it could be?

hi!

Do you mind me asking do you smoke? If not, check your hardeners ingredients and see does it contain formaldehyde, this can be found in tobaco smoke, but also in some enamels...stragely enough. If it does, just find one that doesnt have any in it.

is it your natural nails yellowing or are you wearing enhancements (acrylics)

If you are set on using a nail strengthener, try CND's "Toughen Up."

Most nail strengtheners can excessively cross link the keratin in your nail plate, making them hard, brittle, and *GASP* yellow. You want your nails to be "Tough," but not too "Strong." Tough nails are flexible and durable. "Toughen Up" does not excessively cross link keratin, does not contain formaldehyde, and also has a UV absorber to prevent yellowing.

You should also add a daily dose of "Solar Oil" to your routine- it is combo of jojoba, rice bran oil, and sweet almond oil. Jojoba is a carrier oil, and can drag the other emollients deep into the nailplate for some serious deep conditioning. Use it at least 2x per day and you will see quite a difference. :)

And it works for ANY type of nail. :)

As already said it depends which strengthener you are using. Sometimes strengtheners come in particular formats according to the type of nails that you have. For instance OPI do a strengthener but you need to have your nails assessed to make sure you are buying the correct one.

Thanks for doing this thread Danny as i am wanting to know the same,what the other geeks have said it excatly what i use and do "toughen up/solar oil" but my nails are yellowing half way up.I did my nail course 2006/2007 which before that i had lovely nails but its taking me some time to get them back to strengh.With all the different girls and me practicesing on then filing /buffing my nails went very thin n weak.I can now see the new growth coming half way up but the other half to the free edge is still a little thin and yellow in colour.Any more advice would be great.sorry im dont want to take over ya thread Danny but really want healthy looking nails.thanks for reading x

Thanks for doing this thread Danny as i am wanting to know the same,what the other geeks have said it excatly what i use and do "toughen up/solar oil" but my nails are yellowing half way up.I did my nail course 2006/2007 which before that i had lovely nails but its taking me some time to get them back to strengh.With all the different girls and me practicesing on then filing /buffing my nails went very thin n weak.I can now see the new growth coming half way up but the other half to the free edge is still a little thin and yellow in colour.Any more advice would be great.sorry im dont want to take over ya thread Danny but really want healthy looking nails.thanks for reading x

Major, your problem and the posters are 2 different things and two different causes for the yellowing.

Major, your yellowing is caused by the damage and then by the damaged nail staining because it has no protective layer on the top.

DANY, your yellowing is caused by prolonged use of your nail hardener/strengthener/polish which undoubtedly contains Formalin or Formaldehyde which is a direct cause of nails going yellow. You can lightly buff the surface with a soft abrasive (like a white block buffer) which will remove some of the yellowing. Then I'd lay off the product for awhile and concentrate on using SolarOil.

Most companies recommend that you do not prolong the use of hardeners/strengtheners for more than a few weeks at a time.

Hi,thanks for the advice geeg,iv been using toughen up now for a couple of weeks to try and get them to grow which they are thankgod.Shall i stop using it now or is there anything else i can do to try and help the yellowing please?

Hi,thanks for the advice geeg,iv been using toughen up now for a couple of weeks to try and get them to grow which they are thankgod.Shall i stop using it now or is there anything else i can do to try and help the yellowing please?

Just leave them to grow out now. It will only take a few more weeks. the damage has to grow completely off and the yellowing will disappear. Why not wear a deep dark polish to cover it up and then you wont fret about it. x

Why not wear a deep dark polish to cover it up and then you wont fret about it. x

But... do make sure you use a good base coat (Sticky or toughen up will do nicely) and a quality polish and top coat.. other wise you will just stain your nails further with the polish (especially if its dark or RED)

Hi, thanks for the help on this.Yes i do always use a good base/top coat and polish has i use creative products.So iv just put sticky on then 333 Hotski to tchotchke on my nails and toes and i love the colour.The only down fall is to wearing polish i go to college 3 days a week and we are not allowed to wear it has we have to do facials etc so ill have to take it off tomorow!.Oh well at least now i know my nails are not gona drop off,i did think it was down to the strength gone in them beinf thin with the over filing etc.They are not mega yellow just tingy yellow.Anyway enough of me waffling and taking over the thread thanks again.
Good luck Danny with your freinds nails xx

Latest posts

Back