Yellow yellow nails!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezza

Reaction score
Hey lovely ladies!

I have a client tomorrow who has really really yellow nails apparently. I've not seen them yet but they are apparently very yellow!! She wants a french finish. I don't know what to do to mask the yellow. I do both acrylic and gel. I much prefer doing gel....

What would you suggest because I don't use opaque gel - i'm booked on to the CND conversion course on 23rd Aug - I only use OPI but I don't have the option for an opaque gel at the moment. Sooooo, I was thinking to do a clear gel overlay and then to do a shellac french over the top - using romantique to mask the yellow nails. Argh! Shellac wouldn't be strong enough for her on her own - she is tough on her nails and gel or acrylic would be most suitable. I really don't get on with the opaque coverage powder - I need a lot more practice with it before I use it on a paying client!!

I don't know, please tell me what you'd do... and thanks in advance :)

I'd say if you use a 240 grit sponge buffer, you could buff away most of the yellow.. it could be caused by smoking or prolonged use of enamel, so should buff out.

Do you have a pink gel?... it doesn't have to be a coverage gel, I'm sure that it would mask the yellow of her nails.

If not, you could mix a little red gel if you have it and add to clear gel for a nice nail bed pink colour.

HTH :hug:

Hi. Would it be worth trying to soak her nails in something first to try to reduce the discolouration? Not sure how much truth there is in this or whether anyone knows of the effect it has on nails as I've not tried it, however I remember someone mentioning that steradent ( the false teeth tablet things) are good for reducing discolouration in nails.

Apparently lemon juice is good to get yellowing out as is vinegar? Not sure how true tho... sallys sell a powder thing which claims to make your naisl whiter, i havent tried but i agev someone i know a sachet but they said using lemon juice worked better sooo... This is frustrating, my aunty has had her nails done a cpl times by me and she has fabulously long nails but in terrible condition - they peel, splinter easily, are yellow, ridges, but very strong? And has 2 which split right down the middle of her finger too...she was only the 2nd person i ever did and i was terrified when faed with it, the 1st person was a horrific nail biter - i def was thrown in at the deep end! Note: she is a big smoker and very fond of excessive polish as often as poss...

You can also mix a coverage polymer with a clear gel and make a coverage gel.

I'd say if you use a 240 grit sponge buffer, you could buff away most of the yellow.. it could be caused by smoking or prolonged use of enamel, so should buff out.

I agree with this, most near all the time yellowing on the natural nail will only be on the surface and will quickly and easily buff off during preperation.

hth's

I agree that yellowing is usually surface only .. there is a great PROFESSIONAL product to use and to sell to help with the yellowing some have and it is called Nail Brite. Easy to retail and comes with a really cute nail brush for use. It has been used in the nail industry for more than 20 years. Fresh Lemon fragrance and very effective. I can't tell you how much of this product I have sold over the year to my clients. Great for gardeners or mechanics etc.

Fab product and it cleans yellowing off the nail surface gently and easily .... I would never use a dental product nor recommend that a client do so, on a client's nails (even if it worked). :eek: I'd rather sell them a professional product that is made for the job.

geeg-albums-popits+minx+%26amp%3B+shellac+stuff-picture29824-nail-brite.jpg

Stockist is Sweet Squared 08452106060 Welcome - Sweet Squared

I might well give this a go geeg once i eventually remember to have my cert photocopied to register with sweet squared - pregnancy brian alert lol. The client that i was referring to was well and truly stained, and did not come off during prep! Well maybe a little but not completely.... i am hoping to be seeing her in a few wks so must remember to get this done, would love nothing more than to be able to make them nice and clean ready for me to try out my new colored gels on her :)

Hey lovely ladies!

I have a client tomorrow who has really really yellow nails apparently. I've not seen them yet but they are apparently very yellow!! She wants a french finish. I don't know what to do to mask the yellow. I do both acrylic and gel. I much prefer doing gel....

What would you suggest because I don't use opaque gel - i'm booked on to the CND conversion course on 23rd Aug - I only use OPI but I don't have the option for an opaque gel at the moment. Sooooo, I was thinking to do a clear gel overlay and then to do a shellac french over the top - using romantique to mask the yellow nails. Argh! Shellac wouldn't be strong enough for her on her own - she is tough on her nails and gel or acrylic would be most suitable. I really don't get on with the opaque coverage powder - I need a lot more practice with it before I use it on a paying client!!

Maybe a spot of purple in your clear gel would help to neutralise the yellow tones. It works in hairdressing:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back